Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running changes everything

Options
1222324252628»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done A (don't mind that teeny tiny second :)). Loving those stats by the way - sounds like you ran a very even controlled race. Enjoy the rest now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Well done again on Sunday, nice to meet you afterwards.

Just to let you know btw, 3:40:00 is still good for qualifying purposes, 3:40:01 would not be.

According to IAAF rules, all times must be rounded up to the nearest second. So if you ran 3:39:59.01 you would be given an official result of 3:40:00. In other words: well done on the sub 3:40 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

slowsteady wrote: »
    After the crash and burn finish last June took most of time to Xmas off to try and clear up the Achilles problem, only worked to a point. Been back at it since New Year and slowly improving (10k PB last week) but older and wiser so keeping marathon under review - not ruled out but not likely.

Great to see a plan come together, you got what you wanted and deserved. Good to see you are going back for more as well:).

Loved the passing stat - must have felt good!!

Delighted that you are motoring along nicely, and congrats on the 10K pb! Was that Butlerstown? Heard it's a tough one. Waterford-Tramore on Saturday week, so another pb for you there :D

jcsmum wrote: »
    Well done A (don't mind that teeny tiny second :)). Loving those stats by the way - sounds like you ran a very even controlled race. Enjoy the rest now.

Thanks a mill K! The stats are a nice touch to their website.
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Well done again on Sunday, nice to meet you afterwards.

Just to let you know btw, 3:40:00 is still good for qualifying purposes, 3:40:01 would not be.

According to IAAF rules, all times must be rounded up to the nearest second. So if you ran 3:39:59.01 you would be given an official result of 3:40:00. In other words: well done on the sub 3:40 :)

You're a fountain of knowledge! Thanks for posting that. Eases the slight disappointment I felt this morning when I saw the offical results :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

It was so nice to meet you and thanks for the company to the Start Line, it was a super start to a fantastic day.
    Super, super congrats on a fantastic race that you should be so proud of.... Passing all those people in the last 7K is a fabulous achievement.
    enjoy the rest now and hope to see you again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

RubyK wrote: »
    Delighted that you are motoring along nicely, and congrats on the 10K pb! Was that Butlerstown? Heard it's a tough one. Waterford-Tramore on Saturday week, so another pb for you there :D
    It was Butlerstown all right, but the PB was not much to start with :D.

Tramore will be tougher, unless we get a tail wind on the night!!

How is the recovery going? My daughter is busy trying to talk me into doing Waterford after watching you (and others:p) last week on the telly. As it is for the Ryan & Ethan fund I might do it as an extended LSR.

• Advertisement

It was Butlerstown all right, but the PB was not much to start with :D.
    Well done, I've heard it's a real tough 10K!

Tramore will be tougher, unless we get a tail wind on the night!!
    If this north-westerly wind stays with us, we'll be grand ;)
    How is the recovery going? My daughter is busy trying to talk me into doing Waterford after watching you (and others:p) last week on the telly. As it is for the Ryan & Ethan fund I might do it as an extended LSR.

Recovery going well, thanks :) Got myself a pb last Friday, and did a lovely run on the beach and sandhills on Saturday. Really nice to be able to do a casual run on Saturday lunchtime, without having to run to the watch.

You should definitely do Waterford, it's a great cause, and there'll be a super atmosphere I'd say. It's a better course than last year, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it much more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Hi RubyK, well done on the great race, sounds like you ran the perfect race and lovely to meet you in London.. see you again soon!!

RubyK wrote: »
    Recovery going well, thanks :) Got myself a pb last Friday, and did a lovely run on the beach and sandhills on Saturday. Really nice to be able to do a casual run on Saturday lunchtime, without having to run to the watch.

You should definitely do Waterford, it's a great cause, and there'll be a super atmosphere I'd say. It's a better course than last year, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it much more :)
    PB?, a week after London? That's 5 mintues off in your next marathon for a start:p. Well done, Tramore 4 mile? I was up in Faugheen for the 5k same evening.

A lot of pressure to go for Wfd but we'll see - threw my hat in for London 14 today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Hey Ruby, was following your London training over the last couple of months and you played an absolute blinder the whole way through. Delighted you had such a good run on the day and got the results you deserved. Great to see you cashing in on the training over the shorter stuff since too. Enjoy the free dividends :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Just catching your log, great racing for the 3:40.
    The stats for the last 7km are fantastic, you ran a super race.

• Advertisement

belcarra wrote: »
    Well done RubyK!
    Between that stat from the results website and your splits it shows you ran a brilliantly executed race!

Thanks very much belcarra :)
    PB?, a week after London? That's 5 mintues off in your next marathon for a start:p. Well done, Tramore 4 mile? I was up in Faugheen for the 5k same evening.

A lot of pressure to go for Wfd but we'll see - threw my hat in for London 14 today.

Well it wasn't much of a pb to begin with, and still isn't, but happy all the same. At least my legs were still somewhat working!

Plenty of time to sign up for Waterford, and if you don't fancy it, do the half. Best of luck with the ballot for London, it's an incredible weekend.
    claralara wrote: »
    Hey Ruby, was following your London training over the last couple of months and you played an absolute blinder the whole way through. Delighted you had such a good run on the day and got the results you deserved. Great to see you cashing in on the training over the shorter stuff since too. Enjoy the free dividends :)

Thanks very much cl, happy with how training went. Now you're training, well that's just in a completely different league! You have incredible times racked up, and deservedly so :)
    Just catching your log, great racing for the 3:40.
    The stats for the last 7km are fantastic, you ran a super race.

Thanks for that RK!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Belated congrats on London Ruby, its great when you see someone getting the rewards for their hard work.

Mon 22/04 - Thurs 25/04 - Rest.

Fri 26/04 - 4 miles avg 7.48 pace.

Sat 27/04 - Beach run - 6.05 miles avg 9.08 pace

Mon 29/04 - 5.20 miles avg 9.39 pace

Tues 30/04 - Beach run - 6 miles avg 8.54 pace

Thurs 02/05 - 5.15 miles avg 8.14 pace

Sat 04/05 - 7.50 miles avg 7.47 pace

Sun 05/05 - Easy 4.30 miles - watch-free

Mon 06/05 - Beach run - 6 miles avg 9.30 pace - worst run in a long long time

Tues 07/05 - 7.02 miles avg 8.34 pace

Thurs 09/05 - 5.20 miles avg 8.23 pace

Sat 11/05 - 11.75 miles avg 8.26 pace

Mon 12/05 - Interval session on grass. Been ages since I did intervals. 3 miles covered :o

Tues 13/05 - Progression run. 6.75 miles avg 7.54 pace

Wed 14/05 - 5.30 miles 8.30 pace

Month|Miles|No. of Runs
    Jan|166.82|23
    Feb|163.69|22
    Mar|220.40|25
    April|128.54|18
    May|61.95|10

Total|741.40|98

Well somebody has well and truly recovered from London :)

Thurs 16/05 - 5.25 miles avg 9.43 pace

Fri 17/05 - LSR 13.10 miles avg 8.36 pace

Sun 19/05 - Beach run 4.05 miles avg 8.58 pace

Mon 20/05 - Hill session 3.5 miles covered

Tues 21/05 - Progression run 7 miles avg 7.55 pace

Wed 22/05 - 5.15 miles avg 8.38 pace

Fri 24/05 - LSR 14 miles avg 8.38 pace

Sat 25/05 - Beach run 4.10 miles avg 8.45 pace

Sun 26/05 - Beach run 3.40 miles avg 9.07

Mon 27/05 - Interval session - 800's on grass. 4.40 miles covered

Tues 28/05 - Progression run 6.67 miles avg 8.18 pace

Wed 29/05 - Beach run 5 miles, watch-free

Thurs 30/05 - Easy run with friends. 6.40 miles watch-free

Month|Miles|No. of Runs
    Jan|166.82|23
    Feb|163.69|22
    Mar|220.40|25
    April|128.54|18
    May|143.97|24

Total|823.42|111

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Great training going on there Ruby. Whats next on the agenda for you??

Younganne wrote: »
    Great training going on there Ruby. Whats next on the agenda for you??

Thanks Anne, enjoying just running for the sake of it at the moment, no races planned for the summer, will get into DCM training mid-July :)

Sat 01/06 - LSR - My garmin watch is banjaxed so this was a run-by-feel one. Map my run says 13.40 miles covered.

Sun 02/06 - Recovery run on the beach. 4 miles

Mon 03/06 - Beach & sandhills run - 6 miles

Tues 04/06 - Have to make the most of this weather, so another beach run 6 miles covered.

Month|Miles|No. of Runs
    Jan|166.82|23
    Feb|163.69|22
    Mar|220.40|25
    April|128.54|18
    May|143.97|24
    June|29.40|4

Total|852.82|115

Wed 05/06 - 5 miles

Thurs 06/06 - 5.50 miles

Sat 08/06 - LSR 13.10 miles

Sun 09/06 - Recovery beach run 4 miles

Mon 10/06 - Hill session 5.5 miles

Wed 12/06 - Beach run 4 miles

Thurs 13/06 - LSR 14.5 miles avg 8.36 pace

Mon 17/06 - Interval session. 2.25 miles, cut short due to sickness

Tues 18/06 - Beach run 6.05 miles

Wed 19/06 - Beach run 5.15 miles

Sat 22/06 - LSR - 13.2 miles avg 8.38 pace

Sun 23/06 - Recovery run 4.50 miles

Month|Miles|No. of Runs
    Jan|166.82|23
    Feb|163.69|22
    Mar|220.40|25
    April|128.54|18
    May|143.97|24
    June|112.15|15

Total|935.57|127

Good luck with the pacing today.

Let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement

Fantastic result, 3:35, beat my PB by 2 minutes:(. Now I have to get the finger out:).

Seriously, well done, negative split all the way - want details, details !!!!

PS - Now I have to take Boston seriously (and me sitting here stuffed with pizza and wine):p

Thanks slowsteady! I'll give you a report, just coz you asked :)

Training for this went ok, and longs runs of 3 x 20m, 1 x 22m and 1 x 23m. But these contained very few mp miles, which concerned me a bit.

The week before didn't go to plan at all, lots of real-life stress, and tbh I couldn't have cared less about the marathon. Travelled up to Dublin Sunday morning, but after parking up hubby wasn't feeling well at all. So it was a quick stop off at the RDS for me, and back to the hotel. The plan for Italian restaurant went out the window, so had to make do with dinner at the hotel. Tuna panini with salad and chips :eek::o hardly ideal prep, but as I said, my head and heart weren't in it.

Had the usual fitful sleep Sunday night, but felt better in myself Monday morning. Made the decision to try and put the worries out of my head for the morning, and just run. Got to the startline late, so was positioned right at the back of wave 1, and could barely see the 3.40 flags in the distance. Took over 3 mins to cross the mats, but it may have been a blessing, as it meant I didn't start too fast.

Plan was to run 8.20 pace. Mile 1 was a bit slow, at 8.44. Then I realised my watch was set to avg pace, rather than lap pace. Wasn't too bothered and decided to run by feel and try to get the avg down to 8.20. The support was brilliant from the start, Dubs should be proud of themselves! Loved the phoenix park, and my legs felt good. Out of the park and up under the bridge, I felt the hill around mile 9 took a bit out of me, which worried me a little. Took some lucozade and I recovered again, and by half way, saw on the clock that I was definitely on track for 3.39.4x finish. Just kept saying to myself, hold this pace and you'll get there. Hip flexor, which had been a bit bothersome through-out training, was starting to hurt a bit, but I tried to ignore it. Took a gel at mile 14. Around mile 15 I could see the 3.40 flags getting nearer, so I aimed to catch them. Caught them around mile 17, and moved slightly ahead. Told myself if I got up Roebuck ok, I'd push on if I could. And I did. Looking back on the watch history mile 20-24 were avg 8mm. Then the final push for the last 2.2 miles - the legs were hurting and I was tiring. I felt like I was slowing, but turns out the final 2 miles were my fastest at 7.52 and 7.46 and then 7.10 for the final .28 miles. I was absolutely delighed to see 3.35.12 crossing the finish line :D A neg split of just over 4 mins, and a pb of 4 mins 48 seconds.

Legs were in ribbons, and hip quite sore, but it was all worth it! I have to say that this was my favourite marathon to date (even better than London!). The support was just incredible.

We had planned to stay overnight in Dublin, but had to head home instead. The drive was a bit uncomfortable, but not as bad as I expected :)

So now slowsteady, bet you're sorry you asked for details :o

Thanks for that.

To summarise - slow LSRs, non-running distraction during taper, no pasta-loading, start slowly and speed up all the way to the finish - simple:).

Seriously impressive progression as your splits at 10k, half, 20 mile and finish all got quicker. They say its the way to do a marathon, must try it myself sometime.

Congrats again and hope real life settles down for you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well done Ruby. Didn't even realise you were running.

Hope everything else is alright with you.

Sub 3:30 in London, or faster? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Same here, wasnt aware that you were running Rubyk. Well done.

Well look at you, with your negative split! Delighted for you! :)

Thanks RQ, looking forward to London! Are you heading over yourself?
    Thanks for that.

Congrats again and hope real life settles down for you.

Cheers slowsteady!
    tunguska wrote: »
    Same here, wasnt aware that you were running Rubyk. Well done.

That was some run you had! Brilliant report too :)
    jcsmum wrote: »
    Well look at you, with your negative split! Delighted for you! :)

Thanks jcsmum! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Great running Ruby, didn't realise you were doing DCM either...or London actually. So maybe we may actually meet over there :)

Advertisement