Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running changes everything

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Sat 12/03 - decided to try out a hilly wood trail. An interesting tough run. First two miles were uphill, and I stuggled with it. 6 miles in total. I'd like to have spent longer on the trail, but I was stuck for time, and as I didn't know the area, I was nervous about getting lost, and not finding my way back to the car :o so opted to head back home, and do a further 4 miles on the beach. 10.03 slow miles in total.

Sun 13/03 - I had hoped to do 4-5 miles, but I was feeling a bit under the weather, so I took the dog for a walk instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

81 mins for Ballycotton - go you, thats brilliant. Congrats on the PB :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

RubyK wrote: »
    Wed 09/03 - track session. 600's and 150's. 5.10 miles covered. Still not getting any easier.

600's and 150's in one session? That's just evil, as if 150's weren't bad enough. :eek:

600's and 150's in one session? That's just evil, as if 150's weren't bad enough. :eek:

I know, I hate them. Not as much as I hate 800's though, which thankfully, we don't often do :pac: I find it a really tough session, but I'm assured it's all worth it. We'll see :o

Mon 14/03 - I was going to make tonight an interval session, instead of Wednesday, but it was such a lovely calm evening I opted for a run down the beach and around the sandhills. Found it hard getting through the soft sand at mile 3, but enjoyed it all the same. 6.02 miles avg 8.49 mins.

Tues 15/03 - same beach route as yesterday. 6 miles, but slower. Avg 9.09 mins. Felt quite sluggish.

• Advertisement

Wed 16/03 - track session. 8x600's + 2 mins recovery. 5.5 miles in total.

Wed 16/03 - track session. 8x600's + 2 mins recovery. 5.5 miles in total.

Good god your track sessions sound awful, I would need a bucket, oxygen and ambulance after those!!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭deise48

hey rubyk are you based in waterford?

deise48 wrote: »
    hey rubyk are you based in waterford?

I am indeed deise48 :)

Fri 18/03 - shattered tired this evening, but forced myself onto the beach for 5.25 miles. All went well apart from a spectacular fall at mile 1.5, in full view of walkers :o Bounced down, and hopped straight back up and ran on, covered in sand. Ah well, at least it was only my pride that was hurt.

Sat 19/03 - off out the door at 10.30am. Lovely morning for a run. Got a nice few hills in and felt good all the way round. 13.11 miles in 1 hr 57 mins 47 secs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Ruby you're going great guns since your return, fair play to you. :) What's next on the 'to do' list?

• Advertisement

claralara wrote: »
    Ruby you're going great guns since your return, fair play to you. :) What's next on the 'to do' list?

Cheers clara, I'm feeling good at the moment (hope I haven't jinxed myself now!). I hope that cold of yours clears up asap, but don't worry if you have to miss a couple of short runs, you've got all the work done now, just make sure that you are 100% well and rested for the Conn starting line. Really looking forward to your report on it. You'll have a fantastic weekend :pac:
    What's next on the 'to do' list?

There's a 10K on Sunday, that I'll do. I did it last year and it nearly killed me, so I'm out for revenge. It won't be a fast time, the course is scenic but very tough, so I just want to do it and enjoy it this time.

I'll do a couple of halfs in May/June and maybe the 15 miler in Killarney mid July, before gearing up for DCM 2011.

Mon 21/03 - 6.04 miles in 50.43 mins. Took in 3 of the 5 hills of this Sundays 10K. Really hope I'll feel as good, as I did last evening (chances are I won't :pac:).

Tue 22/03 - Another lovely evening, so I headed off to the beach. 5.10 miles avg 8.48 min. Really enjoyed this run.

Wed 23/03 - Track session. 6 x 600's + 2 mins recovery. 4 x 150's + 50 metre recovery. 5.10 miles covered.

Not too sure what to do for the rest of the week, ahead of Sundays 10K. I might take a rest this evening, and do 5-6 miles tomorrow, rest Saturday, and race Sunday :confused:.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Cheers clara, I'm feeling good at the moment (hope I haven't jinxed myself now!). I hope that cold of yours clears up asap, but don't worry if you have to miss a couple of short runs, you've got all the work done now, just make sure that you are 100% well and rested for the Conn starting line. Really looking forward to your report on it. You'll have a fantastic weekend :pac:

There's a 10K on Sunday, that I'll do. I did it last year and it nearly killed me, so I'm out for revenge. It won't be a fast time, the course is scenic but very tough, so I just want to do it and enjoy it this time.

I'll do a couple of halfs in May/June and maybe the 15 miler in Killarney mid July, before gearing up for DCM 2011.

Mon 21/03 - 6.04 miles in 50.43 mins. Took in 3 of the 5 hills of this Sundays 10K. Really hope I'll feel as good, as I did last evening (chances are I won't :pac:).

I'm thinking of doing that one too. All going well in Cork! :)

jcsmum wrote: »
    I'm thinking of doing that one too. All going well in Cork! :)

Cork will be no bother to you girl!

Yeah, I think Killarney would be a nice one to do alright, so I might see you there :D

Fri 25/03 - 5.04 miles in 44.03 mins avg 8.45 mins. A lovely Friday evening run on the beach, just me against the gaining dusk and tide.

Sun 26/03 - Splashworld 10K. I did this race last year, and found it very very tough, so I was quite nervous about having a similar experience. And I was right, all those hills we met were not any easier than last year, and I really found it a hard slog. After what felt like 9K of hills, I welcomed the last 1k of down hill, and threw myself over the finish line in a time of 48 mins 50 secs (Garmin, no official results up yet). I am delighted with this, as I really didn't think I'd get under 50, especially on such a tough hilly course. A pb of 2 mins 45 secs. Avg pace 7.55 min. I was wrecked for the evening after it, and still am tired today :o but I'm happy tired.

Edited to add in gun time - 48.53 mins.

well done on your PB. Fantastic time. :)

Cheers jcsmum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Wow - fantastic running! Congrats!

And another PB tumbles...I like :D

Mon 28/03 - A slow beach run, that I really didn't want to do, but made myself go anyway. Right calf a bit tight, and body very tired after yesterdays 10K. 5.10 miles avg 9.38 min miles.

Tues 29/03 - Another struggle to get going this evening :eek: Out the country roads, calf still tight, and struggled with the last couple of miles with tiredness. 6.02 miles avg 8.32 min miles.

Wed 30/03 - Track session. Dreaded it. 5 x 1000's with 3 mins recovery and then 3 x 150's with 150 recovery. 5.25 miles in total. Leg felt a little niggley, and I don't like those 1000's at all :(

Thurs 31/03 - Day off work, and usually I'd happily head to the beach for a good run, but I was just too whacked to, plus my lower back was pretty sore. My dog was out of sorts aswell, as she wouldn't even go for a short walk with me, so instead we took to the bed, and watched a couple of Alfred Hitchcock films for the afternoon. It was bliss :) Had a piping hot bath last night, and that seems to have done the trick on my back, as it feels much better today.

Need to get a few miles in later today, and hopefully some sort of a LSR tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Are the words 'rest day' not in your voccabulary?? ;)

jcsmum wrote: »
    Are the words 'rest day' not in your voccabulary?? ;)

This from the woman who goes on hols to Lanzarote, and still runs miles and miles everyday :eek:;)

I had a lovely rest day yesterday :)

This from the woman who goes on hols to Lanzarote, and still runs miles and miles everyday :eek:;)

I had a lovely rest day yesterday :)

Tee hee, to be honest the weather in Lanzarote wasn't hot enough every day to lounge by the pool - it's WEIRD though how running has just become part of my life no matter where I am.
    the caps are for digger's (Tallaght spelling bee champion 2000-2010) benefit :pac:

Fri 01/04 - didn't manage to get out at all this evening.

Sat 02/03 - headed off down the beach at 09.30 hrs, and did two laps of the sandhills. A tough run, plodding through the softer sand. 8.25 miles avg 9.28 min miles.

Didn't get as many miles done this week as I'd have liked, but I'm feeling fresher today than I have in a while, so maybe the cutdown in miles wasn't such a bad thing. Will see ...

Sometimes a break is just what the body is screaming for! Enjoy feeling rested and getting some good miles in this week. Have you picked a Half for May / June yet?

Cheers clara, I'll hopefully do the Strawberry Half in June, really enjoyed that one last year.

How are you feeling yourself? Raring to go at this stage I'd say :pac:

Cheers clara, I'll hopefully do the Strawberry Half in June, really enjoyed that one last year.

How are you feeling yourself? Raring to go at this stage I'd say :pac:

Sounds good!

Oh god I don’t know how I’m feeling! Although after yesterday’s run the excitement has overaken the nerves a little… I can’t believe it’s this week! :eek:

Oh god I don’t know how I’m feeling! Although after yesterday’s run the excitement has overaken the nerves a little… I can’t believe it’s this week! :eek:

It's come around very quickly alright! I've enjoyed reading your log, it's been very entertaining :D As I'm sure you've been told, get as much rest/sleep this week as possible, and roll on Sunday morning :pac:

Mon 04/04 - 6 miles in a vicious wind :eek: Avg pace 8.45 mins. Body felt very niggley, from my lower back right down to my shins. Lots of strecthing and a hot bath was in order.

• Advertisement

Tues 05/04 - a crappy day left me feeling sh*te so no running.

Wed 06/04 - another crappy day. Decided to abandon the track. Then got the guilts, so headed off to the beach and around and over the sandhills, no watch, just me, trying to find my mojo. 6 miles later, got back home feeling a lot better.

Thurs 07/04 - day off work, so was on the beach before 9am. A gorgeous morning. 5.03 miles avg 9.07 min miles.

Unsure about doing tonights 4 mile road race, not feeling in race shape tbh.

I'll be stuck for time over the weekend so anything over 6 miles tomorrow morning will be a bonus.

Advertisement