Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running changes everything

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Sat 07/05 - Waterford to Tramore 7.5 mile road race.

The rain stayed away, thank God, but the wind was fresh enough and I was dreading this. Took off too fast, the first mile was done in 7.33 mins. Slowed the 2nd mile to 7.46 but by mile 3 I was struggling. My legs were straining to keep going, I was thirsty, and wasn't enjoying myself, so I took a glucose sweet. Water station at mile 4, and then things started to pick up slightly. Hit mile 6 at 48 mins, and knew I'd have to push on, to get in under the hour. The last 1.5 miles were tough, there were a couple of climbs that felt like mountains. The last 500 metres or so seemed to take forever, and I was struggling, but I heard a roar of support from my Dad :o and pushed on, to finish 7.5 miles in 59.07 mins - avg 7.53 min miles. Delighted with that. The wind, while not gale force, was strong enough all the way. It was my own fault that I struggled in the first half, due to my woeful pacing. Lessons learned, but still happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Ah memories.... Waterford to Tramore

Seriously that is some great running. Wow! So impressed.

Cheers jcsmum! I was happy in the end.

Mon 09/05 - took a different route tonight, and it was a mistake. It was too hilly for my legs, which were tired from Saturdays race, and the right calf tight, added to that the wind, and top it off with a killer stitch with .5 miles to go. A tough aul session. 6.10 miles in 52.11 mins avg 8.33 min pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Windy on the Waterford to Tramore road...jeez there's a surprise :D. Was that ould fella outside that pub cheering ye on with a tinnie in hand again?

Well done on race.

shazkea wrote: »
    Windy on the Waterford to Tramore road...jeez there's a surprise :D. Was that ould fella outside that pub cheering ye on with a tinnie in hand again?

Well done on race.

Actually no, Tawdy wasn't out cheering us on, which was suprising, as he's there everyday, hail or shine! If I'd passed him before the water station, I'd have begged him for a can, I was that thirsty :o

Wed 11/05 - track session. 1 x 400, 1 x 800 with 90 sec recovery - four times. 6 x 150's with 50 metre recovery. 400's were done avg 6.36 pace and 800's avg 7.17 pace. 5.5 miles covered.

Thur 12/05 - day off work, so I went to the beach for a morning run. First 3 miles were lovely, but then I had to turn around and face into the gale, I found it very tough. 6.05 miles avg 9.42.

• Advertisement

Sat 14/05 - nice morning for a LSR, although it was fairly breezy, again :rolleyes: Quite a hilly route, but an enjoyable one. Legs felt good, no niggles thank God. 13.2 miles 1.59.49 avg 9.04 min pace.

Track session tonight, instead of Wednesday. Yippee.

Mon 16/05 - track session. A mixture of 400's, 300's, 200's and 100's. With warm up/cool down 5.67 miles covered. Lots of rolling of the quad after it.

Tues 17/05 - Right quad a little niggley after the intervals last night, so I took it nice and handy. Lovely hilly country route, with no cars or people about. 6 miles avg 8.40 min pace.

Day off tomorrow, so I'll do my LSR instead of Saturday. Rest day today.

Thurs 19/05 - LSR today, instead of Saturday. A gorgeous warm morning, headed off into the countryside. Probably picked the wrong route for this one, the hills for the first 5 miles were very tough. Plodded along fine, until mile 13, when the wheels started to fall off. My stomach was rumbling so much, and the water I took on sloshing around, meant I sounded like a washing machine running along :o, so I kept having to cross to the opposite side of the road when passing people, to save any strange looks. The last 2.15 miles were hard going. 15.15 miles avg 9.07 min pace.

Hope to get a few miles in this evening, and again tomorrow.

Nice pace there Ruby on a hilly route. Is Enniscorthy a target race for you - what's the aim?

Don't think I will make it after all. Under strict instructions to stay around for a BBQ on the Sat night after the wedding. Can't really say No since I bailed on the hen for Kildare half :o...non-runner friends eh!!

• Advertisement

Nice pace there Ruby on a hilly route. Is Enniscorthy a target race for you - what's the aim?
    Don't think I will make it after all.

I don't think I'll be doing it either shaz. I'm going to do the 15 mile race in Killarney 3 weeks after it. I think my goal half will be Kilkenny in September.
    Under strict instructions to stay around for a BBQ on the Sat night after the wedding. Can't really say No since I bailed on the hen for Kildare half :o...
    non-runner friends eh!!

This made me laugh :pac: Ah sure there will be plenty of halfs in the summer for you to pick from.

Fri 20/05 - recovery run on the beach. First 3 miles lovely, last 3 mile wicked tough with the soft sand and bloody wind. 6.16 miles avg 9.20 min pace.

Sat 21/05 - early morning run. 5.53 miles in windy conditions, again. Avg 8.46 min pace.

Sun 22/05 - spent most of the day asleep. I'm not able for late nights anymore. Thank God they don't happen very often - I'm 34 but sounding and feeling more like 104.

Oh, and note to the wind, would you ever feck off until November please :mad:

Nice LSR during the week. :)

Mon 23/05 - a windy 6.12 miles avg 8.26 min pace. I've developed a bit of a hamstring ache over the past couple of runs. It's niggling away today when walking, so I'm going to rest it for a couple of days, and hope it clears up :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Hope the rest sorts it out for you, at least maybe this windy weather will have blown away before you get back out

Wed 25/05 - I was feeling good, but decided not to go to the track, instead just do a few easy miles to test out the leg. However, from the off, it was clear something wasn't right. By the end of my run, it felt like someone had kicked the top of my hamstring with a steel toe-cap boot. 5 panic stricken miles. Not a happy camper after it.

I'm going to take a week off, and see if that will sort it, plus anti-inflams and voltorol.

Off to Cork for the weekend, so I might take my frustration out on my credit card :(

Sorry to hear that. A weeks rest might do the trick.
    I can't believe that after months and months of no injury, I go and injure myself this week. Still a twinge in my left hip off and on when I walk. Maybe if I ignore it, it will just go away. ;)

jcsmum wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that. A weeks rest might do the trick.
    thanks jcsmum, fingers crossed

I can't believe that after months and months of no injury, I go and injure myself this week. Still a twinge in my left hip off and on when I walk. Maybe if I ignore it, it will just go away. ;)

I missed that on your log :eek: Really sorry to read that! Plenty of voltrol/tiger balm, neurofen plus for you. Hopefully, it'll amount to nothing, and you'll be grand come Sunday! Mind yourself.

Oh yeah, and try a hot bubble bath this evening and again tomorrow. I find them great for niggles/twinges.

RubyK wrote: »

Oh yeah, and try a hot bubble bath this evening and again tomorrow. I find them great for niggles/twinges.

I can do that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Wed 25/05 - I was feeling good, but decided not to go to the track, instead just do a few easy miles to test out the leg. However, from the off, it was clear something wasn't right. By the end of my run, it felt like someone had kicked the top of my hamstring with a steel toe-cap boot. 5 panic stricken miles. Not a happy camper after it.

Have you had a biomechanical assessment done Rubyk? I'd recommned it, just to let you know if there are any areas that need strengthening/activating or just need to be worked on.

• Advertisement

tunguska wrote: »
    Have you had a biomechanical assessment done Rubyk? I'd recommned it, just to let you know if there are any areas that need strengthening/activating or just need to be worked on.

Hey tunguska, no I haven't had a bio assessment, but it's something I'll definitely look into. I'll do anything to get this sorted.

Wed 01/06 - I'm really pissed off now. After 1 weeks full rest I went out for an easy 4 miler - mile 1 went smoothly. But from mile 2-4 I could feel the ache coming back into the top of my hamstring and by mile 4 I was glad to be back at the car. I'm very sore this morning :(

Physio appointment this evening, so I'll see what he says.

I see a lot more resting ahead. I'm bored already :rolleyes:

Thats rubbish Ruby - sorry to hear that. I know how frustrating being sidelined is :mad:. Can you do any cross-training at all? I hope the physio goes well for you this eve.

That's awful news Ruby. What upcoming races are on the calendar for you. Is it the 15 miler in Killarney?
    Hope you get some relief soon.

Thats rubbish Ruby - sorry to hear that. I know how frustrating being sidelined is :mad:. Can you do any cross-training at all? I hope the physio goes well for you this eve.

Thanks shaz, I'm not a good patient at all, when it comes to being sidelined. God help all who have to live/work with me :o I don't think I'll be doing any crosstraining - walking today is very uncomfortable.
    That's awful news Ruby. What upcoming races are on the calendar for you. Is it the 15 miler in Killarney?
    Hope you get some relief soon.

Hey jcsmum, yep, the 15 miler in Killarney was next on the list. I was really looking foward to it, but can't see it actually happening at the moment. Are you doing it? You sound raring to go, the marathon didn't take anything out of you, fair dues girl :)

Hey jcsmum, yep, the 15 miler in Killarney was next on the list. I was really looking foward to it, but can't see it actually happening at the moment. Are you doing it? You sound raring to go, the marathon didn't take anything out of you, fair dues girl :)

The Killarney run looks great, a bit pricey if memory serves me correctly. I am eager to do more races alright, but I think some wisdom is setting in now and I'll focus on DCM to get that elusive sub 4!
    Next race for me is the Dunshaughlin 10k. A sub 50 time is the goal.

Next race for me is the Dunshaughlin 10k. A sub 50 time is the goal.

No problem to you! And as for sub4, I'd say you'll be more sub3.45 if not better, come October :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I don't think I'll be doing any crosstraining - walking today is very uncomfortable.

If you're willing to travel to dublin theres a guy up here who gave me a complete biomechanical assesment, was top notch.
    Although I'd agree with the cross training advice Rubyk. Theres plenty you can do even if you cant run. Do you have a bike? Essential piece of kit for runners as when the inevitable injury does come you can use the rothar to keep you ticking over. Stationary bike in the gym is very useful tool aswell. Many is the time I was in sportsmed and I saw Mary cullen(who was injured at the time)absolutley battering the stationary bike out of it. I was out for 3 months recently with an achilles injury and all I could do was cycle, kept me fit and sane. Give it a go.

If you're willing to travel to dublin theres a guy up here who gave me a complete biomechanical assesment, was top notch.
    Although I'd agree with the cross training advice Rubyk. Theres plenty you can do even if you cant run. Do you have a bike? Essential piece of kit for runners as when the inevitable injury does come you can use the rothar to keep you ticking over. Stationary bike in the gym is very useful tool aswell. Many is the time I was in sportsmed and I saw Mary cullen(who was injured at the time)absolutley battering the stationary bike out of it. I was out for 3 months recently with an achilles injury and all I could do was cycle, kept me fit and sane. Give it a go.

Have to agree with this. During all my many injuries (and I've had alot :rolleyes:), I have always used the bike (stationary and normal) to keep up the fitness. I just vary the resistance depending on the injury. As tunguska says it keeps me fit and sane

Cheers for that, I would travel far and wide to sort this out! I'll let you know tomorrow if I need his name.
    Do you have a bike? Essential piece of kit for runners as when the inevitable injury does come you can use the rothar to keep you ticking over. Stationary bike in the gym is very useful tool aswell. Many is the time I was in sportsmed and I saw Mary cullen(who was injured at the time)absolutley battering the stationary bike out of it. I was out for 3 months recently with an achilles injury and all I could do was cycle, kept me fit and sane. Give it a go.

I don't have a bike, haven't had one since I was a teen :o But I have been thinking about investing in one, and if I'm going to be out of action for weeks, I'll just have to man-up and get one. I could use the gym stationary bike, but the thoughts of being cooped up inside during the summer fill me with dread (picky, arent' I!).

How is your achilles now? Did you get sorted?

• Advertisement

Have to agree with this. During all my many injuries (and I've had alot :rolleyes:), I have always used the bike (stationary and normal) to keep up the fitness. I just vary the resistance depending on the injury. As tunguska says it keeps me fit and sane

Both, I can feel leaving my body as the days go by :o

Watch out people! A slightly crazy woman is going to be hitting the roads on two wheels :pac:

Advertisement