Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running changes everything

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Went to the physio yesterday evening.

Good news is that it's not what I thought it was - hamstring tendonitis.

Bad news is that bloody piriformis syndrome has graced me with it's presence again, only this time on my left side :( Lots of poking & prodding, and I'm not allowed to anything for 2-3 weeks, apart from walk the dog, who, at the best of times doesn't even like going for one :confused: So I shall keep up to date with the logs on here and live vicariously through them.

Ah well, at least I know whats ahead, and hopefully by the end of June I'll be sorted. Killarney looks now to be off the cards, which is disappointing, but getting right for the road to DCM is my priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Sorry to hear that, you can join me on the sick bench for the next few weeks.

This is only day 5 for me and already I'm going quietly insane, the dogs look at me but I'm not allowed to go walking for more than a couple of hundred yards in case I unduly stress the shoulder.

Can't drive, work, drink, only eat and maybe lie in the sun... could be worse I suppose.

slowsteady wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that, you can join me on the sick bench for the next few weeks.

This is only day 5 for me and already I'm going quietly insane, the dogs look at me but I'm not allowed to go walking for more than a couple of hundred yards in case I unduly stress the shoulder.

Can't drive, work, drink, only eat and maybe lie in the sun... could be worse I suppose.

Ah poor you :( it sucks when all you want to do is throw on the gear and get out the door. The only thing is, at least it's now, rather than in the middle of marathon training. Keep the chin up, we'll get there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Ah crap Ruby, sorry to hear that. Pity Killarney is in doubt now, but like you said yourself at least it's not right before DCM.
    Silver lining.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Bummer Ruby (sorry couldn't resist :D).

Seriously, that's awful but hopefully you will be back in no time and back on track for DCM. I do feel sorry for the dog though - it won't know what hit it with all the planned exercise!

• Advertisement

shazkea wrote: »
    Bummer Ruby (sorry couldn't resist :D).

I'll let you off with that one shaz ;)

I do feel sorry for the dog though - it won't know what hit it with all the planned exercise!

Fear not, she's the boss, and if she doesn't want to walk, she plonks herself in a heap on the driveway and there's no budging her. So she'll not be of much help to me!

Hope your feeling a bit better today, and the bruising is going down. The pic you posted is scary :eek:

Relegated to page 6 :o

After a few physio sessions and lots of rest I'm back moving, although not very far, and not very fast.

Sat 18/06 - 1 mile around the local GAA pitch. Most enjoyable :)

Mon 20/06 - 2 miles on grass verge. Baseball cap + lamp posts are a dangerous combination. I'd have loved to have gone on longer.

Thankfully, all seems to going ok. Lots of streching being done, and I'm also using a resistance band to help strenghten my lazy legs.

Marathon plan was to be kicked into action on 27/06, but that's not really an option yet. I have the P&D Advanced plan, but might revert to my old DCM'10 plan instead, which would see me start on 11/07.

Great to see you back - hope that's the end of the injury timeouts for you now.

Weds 22/06 - 3.10 miles in 30.10 mins, again on grass. No issues with the leg!

Sat 25/06 - 12 laps of the GAA grounds - 4.7 miles in 45.10 mins. It felt tough enough, but there were no aches or pains!

I don't know what I managed to do between Satudays run and Sunday am, but my leg has not been feeling the best yesterday or today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

God you're having a tough time getting back to action, hope its nothing too serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Fingers crossed it's only a blip and you're on the road to recovery now.

Mon 27/06 - tested out the leg last night. 4.75 miles avg 9.17 pace. Again, on grass and again I found it tougher than it should have. There wasn't any real pain as such, but there is a definite niggle still there, even when not running. I'm feeling very downhearted, and fear DCM won't happen for me this year, the weeks are flying by and I'm going backwards. Time to think of a plan B and maybe plan C :confused:

Thurs 30/06 - 2.31 miles on grass avg 9.15 mins. Leg still not quite right.

Sun 03/07 - 4.07 miles avg 8.55 mins on the hard sand, as I'm sick of the GAA grounds. An enjoyable, but sweaty run in the sun. Leg is still not quite right though :(

11.14 miles covered this week. Wow :rolleyes:

Tues 05/07 - I just couldn't face the GAA grounds again, so I was delighted to see the tide on the beach was on the way out, so headed there instead. With the wind at my back I headed off, and at 2.55 miles turned around to face it head on. 5.10 miles avg 8.45 min pace.

Lots of stretching yesterday and this morning, with niggles still there, but I'm hoping it'll all come right soon enough.

Thurs 07/07 - back to the beach for the same run as Tuesday, with a horrible gusty wind to contend with. All was going well, until an encounter with a doberman, which threw me off my stride. Then my leg started to give a little trouble after mile 3.

5.10 miles avg 9.01 pace.

I was feeling sore last night, and again today. I'm sick of this sh*te. I'm getting nowhere fast :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

RubyK wrote: »
    Thurs 07/07 - back to the beach for the same run as Tuesday, with a horrible gusty wind to contend with. All was going well, until an encounter with a doberman, which threw me off my stride. Then my leg started to give a little trouble after mile 3.

5.10 miles avg 9.01 pace.

I was feeling sore last night, and again today. I'm sick of this sh*te. I'm getting nowhere fast :(

Oh no! You were going so well there. It must be so frustrating for you. Mind yourself.

Sat 09/07 - stubborness got the better of me, and I headed off to the beach, to test the leg. Again. Tide was in, so I was stuck for sand, so did 3 very slow miles. Felt ok, so ran another 2 on grass. 5.05 miles avg 10.01 mins.

No real pain when running, which is great, but my leg & lower back were stiff & sore for the rest day/evening :rolleyes:

Sun 10/07 - strenghtening work. Took the dog to the beach, and leg/ lower back felt ok.

Hoping to get a run on the roads later this evening. It's been nearly 7 weeks since I ran on road/up a hill :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Hey Ruby, been keeping an eye on the logs but haven’t been of any particular support or assistance to anyone in a while - trying to stay off the internet during the working day! Sorry to hear you’re having another hard time. It’s such a pain but just try and take care of yourself. Work on recovering properly and enjoy some easy running, good cross training and strength / flexibility work. There is plenty of time to run hard and reach goals and smash PB’s in the pain-free future! Be good! ;)

Cheers claralara, you're training is going brilliantly! Keep up the great work ;)

Mon 11/07 - first run on the roads in 7 weeks :eek: It didn't turn out as bad as I thought it would be. It was very warm out there though. 6 miles avg 9.03 min miles.

Wed 13/07 - morning run, the same as Mondays. It was very warm again, and the hill at mile 4.5 nearly killed me. Leg holding up ok. 6.11 miles avg 9.13 min miles.

Thurs 14/07 - evening run, with a friend. I really enjoyed this, company definitely helps and we took it nice and handy. 6.40 miles avg 10.08 min miles.

Lots of stretching/stengthening being done, and I feel the leg is 95% recovered (touch wood).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Glad to see you're back in action and the leg is holding up. That's decent milage for a 95% fit leg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Good to see you back and going well, while it's great to be able to get out, taking it handy is important till the legs settle down again.

My problem is that the legs are fine, its the brain I need to settle, still going too fast!!

(A real do as I say not as I do comment :o)

Sat 16/07 - same route as Thursday, but I stepped it up a bit. 6.4 miles avg 8.54 min pace. Still not 100% but I'm just happy to be out there doing something.

Sun 17/07 - a blustery walk on the beach with the dog. Stretching & strengthening afterwards.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Are you seeing a physio or anything for this? You've had a couple of injuries recently is it all related?

Are you seeing a physio or anything for this? You've had a couple of injuries recently is it all related?

Hey RQ, yep I've been seeing the physio alright. It's the same problem I had last year, but on the opposite side.

Mon 18/07 - an enjoyable, easy run with a friend. 6.40 miles avg 9.40 min pace. Felt good throughout and afterwards, and today I have no sciatica-like sensations or tightness in the hamstring :D which is a first for a longtime. Maybe it's all coming right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

How are you doing now Rubyk? Hope all is well

Bally8 wrote: »
    How are you doing now Rubyk? Hope all is well

Good and bad days Bally8 :o

Tuesday 19/07 - after initially feeling good, by the evening time the leg was niggling away. No running

Wednesday 20/07 - bad day legwise. Sanity being severely tested. No running.

Thurs 21/07 - stubborness set in, so I went for an evening plod, to test the waters. Probably not the best idea in the world to tackle the hilly route, but that was the mood I was in :rolleyes: 6.2 miles. Leg didn't feel too bad during run/after.

Sat 23/07 - decided to change from the Kayano's to my old DCM Mizuno's, just to see if there would be any difference. Seemed to be a good move, the leg held up very well throughout the hilly miles. 8.20 miles. Longest run in over 10 weeks :o

Sun 24/07 - took the Mizuno's out to the beach for an easy few miles. 4.2 miles. It was a lovely calm warm morning run, all went ok.

Leg a bit niggley this morning. Frustating :mad:

Ruby would you consdier cutting the mileage and taking it really easy for a few weeks? Just reading your log there and alot of your runs are around 6 miles. Maybe cutback just to 2 or 3 miles for a couple of weeks until you are 100% and give your leg a chance to get used to running again.

BTW I am aware how hypocritical my post is in that I normally rush back after injury but think I have finally learnt my lesson :(. Completely understand your frustration!

Maybe cutback just to 2 or 3 miles for a couple of weeks until you are 100% and give your leg a chance to get used to running again.

You're probably right shaz ;) I'll cut back this week, and I'm away next weekend, so I purposely won't bring the gear with me (although that's not to say I won't restock my running wardrobe while on hols, and sneak out of the hotel before I'm missed :pac:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

RubyK wrote: »
    I'll cut back this week, and I'm away next weekend, so I purposely won't bring the gear with me (although that's not to say I won't restock my running wardrobe while on hols, and sneak out of the hotel before I'm missed :pac:)

Ah yes - the old "sneak out as early as possible and get back before the OH wakes up for breakfast" ploy. I do that one myself. I think we have issues!

Advertisement