Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running changes everything

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Forgot to mention, I wear these bad boys on pretty much every run I do. They're the business, quads feel really well protected. Can be worn for recovery aswell.

http://www.compressport.uk.com/aQuad.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

RubyK wrote: »
    I'll be having my first pilates experience later today. I'm nervous. I have the flexibility of a tree :o

Think of yourself as a yew rather than an Oak:D

In fairness though flexibility is just like running you improve with practice and more practice. It will stand to you big time regarding injuries. Over last 10 months yoga and stretching has played an influential part in my training and consistency

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

tunguska wrote: »
    Forgot to mention, I wear these bad boys on pretty much every run I do. They're the business, quads feel really well protected. Can be worn for recovery aswell.

http://www.compressport.uk.com/aQuad.html

Thanks for that link, I think I really need some quad support, especially doing interval sessions on the track, as it's that session that really seems to set the right quad off. I ordered a pair of compression tights last Monday, but sure you can never have enough gear!
    ecoli wrote: »
    Think of yourself as a yew rather than an Oak:D

In fairness though flexibility is just like running you improve with practice and more practice. It will stand to you big time regarding injuries. Over last 10 months yoga and stretching has played an influential part in my training and consistency

Cheers ecoli, it's probably something I should have started long ago, as like yourself, anyone who I've spoken to reckons it really benefits their running.

Thurs 15/09 - Headed off to pilates. The instructor kept reminding us that this class was just a slight introduction and not to think the next 8 weeks will be as easy. Well I didn't find it that easy :o. My right quad was really feeling it, as were my hips and tum. But I really enjoyed it, and my lower back is much looser this morning. Delighted I signed up. The instructor seems to really know her stuff.

Hoping to do a few easy miles tonight. Rest tomorrow, and then doing a local 10K race on Sunday. I won't get anywhere near my pb, but I still want to do this race. It was the first race I ever entered 2 years ago and got me hooked on this lark.

Fri 09/09 - I wasn't feeling great, but forced myself out the door for a few easy miles. 4.50 miles avg 9.11. Got soaked to the bone. Legs/back felt ok throughout.

Sat 10/09 - Felt rotten with a crappy headcold. Spent 4 hours driving, and thought my back would be in bits, but it was fine. Doped dosed myself up with 4flu, had a fit-ful sleep filled with mad running dreams :o

Sun 11/09 - Feeling a bit better, I decided to run in a local 10K. I knew I wouldn't get near my pb, but the goal was to get through this in one piece, injury free. The start was very congested, 700+ runners on the track, exiting though narrow barriers. I looked at my watch and it said 10.34 pace :eek:. Once out onto the main road I picked up the pace a bit, but not too much to burn out before getting to the climbs. With each mile I pushed on a bit more. The last couple of miles were tough going, with the wind blowing head on. Happy with the last mile, which I did in 7.47 mins. So 10.25KM in 52.21 mins. A long way off my pb of 6 months ago, but I'm delighted that the body held up, and feels grand today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done Ruby - nice confidence booster yesterday! I've been falling asleep standing up the last few days with 4flu!!

• Advertisement

claralara wrote: »
    Well done Ruby - nice confidence booster yesterday! I've been falling asleep standing up the last few days with 4flu!!

Cheers clara ;) Lots of people seem to be coming down with colds. 4flu is great stuff, if you can stay in the comfort of your home :) Not so good if you are trying to get some work done though.

Mon 12/09 - A nice easy 5.15 miles avg 9.12 pace. Thankfully, there are no niggles after yesterdays run.

Tues 13/09 - 6.40 miles avg 8.39 min pace. An enjoyable run despite the blustery winds.

Wed 14/09 - Track session. 6x800. 6.47 being the quickest pace and 7.11 the slowest. With warmup/cool down 5.25 miles covered. Right quad acting up again, but settled down thanks to the foam roller.

Thurs 15/09 - Pilates class. Jebas, it was tough going. A lot of work done on glutes/quads/hamstring. Today my lower back is pretty stiff, as are my hips.

Fri 16/09 - my lower back was not happy at all, after yesterdays pilates class, plus with a crappy headcold still lingering, I took to the bed after work instead of going for a run :o.

Sat 17/09 - nervously headed out the door, wondering if my back would hold up. It went surprisingly well, and I really enjoyed this one, even through the heavy showers. 11.07 miles avg 9.13 min pace.

Sun 18/09 - an easy few miles, on a windy Sunday morning. 5.16 miles avg 9.08 pace. No niggles or issues. I could get used to this :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Good to see your able to put up the miles yourself, a good week under your belt. Now if I was going as well myself - would I be happy - we live in hope:)

slowsteady wrote: »
    Good to see your able to put up the miles yourself, a good week under your belt. Now if I was going as well myself - would I be happy - we live in hope:)

Thanks slowsteady, just taking it run by run, hoping for the best :) What's the plan for DCM for you?

Mon 19/09 - donned the baseball cap and winter running gear and headed out in the wind & rain. Figured the best thing to do was run as fast as I could, to get out of the crappy weather and home asap. 6.03 miles avg 8.08 pace. I've not run like that in a long time.

Tues 20/09 - lower back was feeling it from last nights run, so opted for a nice handy few miles. 5.20 miles avg 9.14 pace - felt tougher than it should have.

Wed 21/09 - lower back was behaving itself, so I decided to try out some strides, for the first time. 5.15 miles avg 8.25 pace with 5*150 meter strides. Don't know if I was doing it right, but I quite enjoyed this session :pac: Tough enough, but in a good way.

Pilates tonight - a necessary evil.

Thanks slowsteady, just taking it run by run, hoping for the best :) What's the plan for DCM for you?

Honestly? Just to get to the start. Like you I am taking it run by run at the moment.

I had hoped to wind up the pace this week but the achilles is not co-operating so I will settle for going longer. Physio does not seem to be doing a lot to improve things so it is hard to know where I'm headed.

Frustrating, but that's part of running. I take heart from your experience and if I can get back to 8:00 pace for any length of time I will be happy.

Honestly? Just to get to the start. Like you I am taking it run by run at the moment.

By your weekend run, things are looking good slowsteady!

Thur 22/09 - pilates. It looks so simple and relaxing. It's not :o

Fri 23/09 - rest day.

Sat 24/09 - LSR. Mile 1-10 were very enjoyable, and I was wishing I was in for DCM'11. Mile 11, the wheels started to fall off, and by mile 13, I was thinking how I'll never manage training for another marathon ever again. Mile 14 was just ugly, not helped by the fact it was all mainly uphill. Horrible how fast things can change during a run. 14.12 miles avg 9.15 pace.

Sun 25/09 - after yesterdays experience, I was too scared to even put on the gear.

On the postive side, no niggles during the LSR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Thur 22/09 - pilates. It looks so simple and relaxing. It's not :o

:D have to agree. I am back to mine after a 3 month break and its torture.

On the postive side, no niggles during the LSR.

I think that is the main thing. My own LSR was hard going as well but, like you, I have no real niggles.From where we are coming something to build on is key.

If I compare where I am now to where I was this time last year I could get very depressed. So the trick is - don't:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Nules10 wrote: »
    :D have to agree. I am back to mine after a 3 month break and its torture.
    But it's all GOOD torture! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Things are going well ruby. Keep it up.

If I compare where I am now to where I was this time last year I could get very depressed. So the trick is - don't:D

Very true!
    Emer911 wrote: »
    But it's all GOOD torture! :D

I'll remind myself of this later today, when my quads are crying at me ;)

Mon 26/09 - 6.03 miles avg 8.31 pace with 5x200 meter strides. Legs didn't like the first set of strides, but woke up after them.

Tues 27/09 - No Indian summer down here. A really miserable morning for a run, breezy and misty. So an easy 5.15 miles avg 9.21 pace.

Wed 28/09 - Another miserable morning. I got my LSR done, as I'll be stuck for time at the weekend. It wasn't as bad as Saturdays LSR, I didn't fall apart, but I was shattered after it :o 12.15 miles avg 9.29 pace. I slept like a log last night, and dreamt that I got my acceptance notification for London 2012 marathon :pac:

Thurs 29/09 - Pilates later. Thursdays roll around very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Good stuff Ruby (sent from a balmy 24 C Dublin :D:D)

shazkea wrote: »
    Good stuff Ruby (sent from a balmy 24 C Dublin :D:D)

Thanking you shaz! Now can you send a bit of that sunshine this way please. (sent from a dull, dismal 16 ish in the not so sunny southeast).

Thurs 29/09 - Pilates. Every problem area of mine was hit. It was sheer relief when the class finished.

Fri 30/09 - Lower back was quite sore, no running done.

Sat 01/10 - Took in a hilly country route which I haven't done in months. 6.21 miles avg 9.07 pace, soaked to the bone.

Sun 02/10 - Another wet muggy morning :rolleyes: 5.27 miles avg 8.39 pace.

Sat 01/10 - soaked to the bone.

Sun 02/10 - Another wet muggy morning :rolleyes:

Weather was unreal last week, going to Dublin one day was like being in a different country. Good to see blue skies again even if the temperatures are going to dip.

Runs are steady - and consistent - keep that up!

Cheers slowsteady :) Weather was cat last week alright, but I'd prefer it to this wind (I'm never happy!)

Mon 03/10 - out before the dusk set in. Lower back, right quad, left hamstring, right calf all tight :confused: Had to stop 3 times to stretch. Trying to be mannerly, I moved off the footpath for a walker & dog, and felt something strange in my knee :eek: 6.05 miles avg 8.31 pace.

Tues 04/10 - yesterdays niggles seemed to be gone, and the knee fine. All set for a handy 5 miler, when I got a call from husband with bad news about his job :(. Running mojo well and truely vanished within 5 seconds.

Will get back into it this evening. I've a 10 mile race on 16th Oct. I'm in no great shape for it, but will run it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

10 Mile race will be no probs to you. Just rem how great it is to be back running and don't stress over times.
    Sorry to hear about OH bad news - hope things work out ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

10 miles will be no bother to you and its still 10 days away. Sorry about the OH's news thats pretty s**t.

Just rem how great it is to be back running and don't stress over times.
    That's true shaz! It's for a good cause, so I'm doing for that rather than a pb.
    Sorry to hear about OH bad news - hope things work out ok.

Unfortunately, his job is gone.
    Nules10 wrote: »
    Sorry about the OH's news thats pretty s**t.

It's ****e alright Nules10, but there's a lot in the same boat so just have to keep the head up and stay positive.

Wed 05/10 - a bleak wet windy evening for a run, but it had to be done. It went better than expected, and last mile was 7.55 mins. 6.03 miles avg 8.26 pace.

Thurs 06/10 am - a blustery showery run. Enjoyed it. 5.40 miles avg 9.10 pace. Pm - 1 hr pilates. Not so enjoyable.

First time since starting pilates that my back isn't sore at all the next day. It must mean progress :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Sorry to hear about your OH's job, life can be totally unfair and sh1te at times

• Advertisement

Thanks Bally8, touch wood he'll get something else asap. And there's always the lotto :)

Advertisement