Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

water shortages and leaks.

Options
  • 27-12-2010 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

whats happening i know many who have been with out water for days now and its not frozen pipes around houses townlands are cut off.the Co.Co are asking people to conserve water what about the people that has none and are trying their best to get water .who would be the best person to contact to knock some heads together.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

sligono1 wrote: »
    whats happening i know many who have been with out water for days now and its not frozen pipes around houses townlands are cut off.the Co.Co are asking people to conserve water what about the people that has none and are trying their best to get water .who would be the best person to contact to knock some heads together.

Water services in the council i'd imagine

http://www.sligococo.ie/Services/WaterServices/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Bang! Christmas day our water went here in Achonry, what fecking timing. The neighbours had none for about 2 days before mine went. Since the house is only 3 years old I thought it would be o.k. It happened last year to the neighbours but my supply was fine. I haven't reported it to anyone and don't know if there's any point really. I'm assuming with a couple more days of thawing the supply will kick back in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

No water in my house either - there's a lot of houses in Coolaney without water.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

In Dunally/Calry area and we've been without water since the 23rd

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

the problem im told by a plumber is that there are leaks and the pressure has droped so the council have just turned off water in areas yet they are not admitting this they are blaming the pipes going into houses,yet there are taking no action so god knows when the repair work will start,many people will have to suffer on with no water.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The lovely people in O'Gradys in Coolaney are charging €10 for drums of water.

A plastic drum costs around €3... so that's €7 they're making for a few gallons of tapwater that's not even theirs to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

sligono1 wrote: »

In fairness I would say that everything that can be done is being done.

It was pretty bleedin cold the past few days, or weeks even, so all of the supply system has been put right to the limit, and past it obviously.

Last year our pipes here were frozen pretty much the whole time it was cold, but the supply pipe was on top of the ground :o
    But in Spring I buried the fecker 3 foot down and sorted out the supply properly. Even went so far as to install a meter box, as required.

Don't know if knocking heads together would help (may make one feel better though) but I would say that following the guidelines means there's more to go around for everyone and ensuring that more of those who are currently without water altogether get it back quicker.

Letting the Co.Co. know where there are leaks is a big help afaik

And it's people who have water being asked not to waste it, while if you're without, then I'm sure there are supplies available if you can get to them.

The selling of water, as described, is pretty disgusting really.

This is where people and communities should be helping each other out, not trying to make a quick buck.

and btw full stops aren't in short supply you know............:P

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

yes the co.co have been informed but where other co.co have been out today getting stuck in to the problem,but when you have to resort to going to a river to get untreated water and boil it for use,there are plenty of people who are just scraping together to get through the xmas.and their local shop charging €2 a bottle,takes alot to keep a few kids going in those circumstances.
    During the summer when there was a water shortage there was
    tanks of water left round to the communites and they very least thats all i would be asking in the short term but hey nothing.

dont know what your emplying with the full stops sneer but give it a rest.theres no place for that crap......................................................................................

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Janine87

Neighbours here have water and the house is attached to our one and we don't have any water. So it is the pipe that is coming from the street. Apartments across from us didn't have any water either but they got theirs back this morning. We are still without water since the 25th. God knows when it comes back. Thank god we have very nice neighbours where we can get water anytime. At least we are able to flush the toilet that way. Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 PaddyMcGinty

We're over in Balinode, the neighbours supply went off on the 23rd, ours went off on Christmas Day.

• Advertisement

Do no tell me that the county council is cutting off the water???
    Our water is still not back! They can't be serious! Neighbours next door still have water though for some reason. Should be sending in a complaint in fairness like! What do they actually think???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 PaddyMcGinty

They've given out a mobile number for the emergency water cover. 1 MOBILE NUMBER!!! When you call, there is no reply, straight to voicemail, which is full so you can't leave a message. And the Town Hall is closed until Thursday. :mad:

Bunch of useless monkeys!

Apparently we get water back in 2 days. I don't believe in that yet. County council is too slow if you ask me. Just seen a van Sligo water services passing by when I went home. Should have stopped them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

My mum has been without water in Ballinacarrow since the 23rd. Not a sign of it coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭snowdaze

my water is just back - so happy! Nothing to do with Sligo Co Co - just had to wait 'til it fully thawed - will have to bury my pipes lower for next year!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Wester

snowdaze wrote: »
    my water is just back - so happy! Nothing to do with Sligo Co Co - just had to wait 'til it fully thawed - will have to bury my pipes lower for next year!:D

Second that, not the water being back, still no sign, but burying the pipes deeper. Don't fancy a repeat of this Christmas. Still, as my Dad said, it was better than the electricity going off; could you imagine, no heat in this weather we've had.

Ireland does need to do something for the next coming years though. Obviously they are absolutely not prepared for frost like this so instead of building this ridculous bridge that no one need anyway they should bury the pipes further!! 1.40m and it will never freeze again.

I agree - but I think it is the responsibility of the homebuilder or homebuyer check this and to sort it out if needed, we must prepare for the next cold spell in advance and not get caught out again:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 kathola

Can someone please explain WHY this has happened again?

I don't understand what is happening to cause the stored treated water to be "lost" as it says on RTE.ie.

The snow and ice thaws, turns back into water and suddenly nobody has any usable water.. I don't get it?

Well the person who owns the estate I live in has to bury the pipes again then.
    Office is back with water so why not us. Maybe I should ring the co.co and put some pressure on them! This is the 4th day now!!

• Advertisement

kathola wrote: »
    Can someone please explain WHY this has happened again?

I don't understand what is happening to cause the stored treated water to be "lost" as it says on RTE.ie.

The snow and ice thaws, turns back into water and suddenly nobody has any usable water.. I don't get it?

folk leave taps on day and night - so they won't freeze - huge water wastage

pipes burst - huge water wastage

leaks

and other similar stuff....

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Wester

When all of this is over serious consideration will have to be given to how efficient the country's water infrastructure is. Leaking pipes has been a problem since "forever" but local authorities can never seem to get on top of the issue. Water conservation in the home will have to be ramped up also. Re. water pipes running into people's homes and on housing estates etc., is it not the case that local authorities or the dept. of the environment set a minimum depth and that's what people go by? I also recall from last year serious criticism that in a lot of newer estates pipes weren't even set at a minimum depth. Meanwhile, it's day 5 without water for me. Luckily the neighbours aren't affected. I can't imagine whats it's like for people with young families, or the elderly. They are the ones I feel the most for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Cork4ever

to be fair to the council they are keeping us up to date with http://twitter.com/sligococo and updates on www.sligococo.ie, its updated at least twice a day, might not be good news but at least you know the news

Cork4ever wrote: »
    to be fair to the council they are keeping us up to date with http://twitter.com/sligococo and updates on www.sligococo.ie, its updated at least twice a day, might not be good news but at least you know the news

There isn't a it of use with the updates when they are telling you to phone and report problems and you can't because the mobile number is just going to a full mail box and the landline number isn't being answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

After a week without water, the pipes thawed and its back!

I am trying to get through those 2 numbers since lunch time and the mobile number seems to be turned off and the landline is always engaged.
    Worst Xmas ever like. My cats gone missing as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Checked their website and they said they would have a water bowser and standpipe at the old gaol today for water, but I've not seen it.

Not bothering me though, I've been lucky enough not to have had any water problems at all. Phew!

My mum who is in her 70's had to contact the local councillor today. A man from the council came out and reckons the pipes are all still frozen to their area. So that's at least seven houses without water for over a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Cork4ever

magnumlady wrote: »
    There isn't a it of use with the updates when they are telling you to phone and report problems and you can't because the mobile number is just going to a full mail box and the landline number isn't being answered.

so basically they are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't

this is basically a mother nature problem coupled with people looking after their own ass by leaving taps running or not checking properties where huge leaks are sucking the water from the water network.

i have found the update especially on twitter very usefull and reassuring that the roads where treated and the water siutation was being worked on. i think every one things their own problem is the most important and that if the council aren't working on their problem right now then the logic is that they are not doing anything, maybe the phone was engaged because they where dealing with someone else......did you ever think of that.....

• Advertisement

The phone numbers were never engaged when I phone, just ringing and ringing or straight to a mail box.
    They are telling people to report problems incase it's a leak but I couldn't get through to report the problem.
    Yes I do understand they are extremely busy and if it was about my own water I wouldn't have been so worried but when I have my elderly mother phoning me several times a day (and very distressed) I have to try and do something.
    The updates are only useful to people with internet access.

Advertisement