Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

water shortages and leaks.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Janine87

I got through the mobile number today. what did they tell me? that the water is probably still frozen! eh that is not what i wanted to hear. they dont care like. 4 houses to the right the house is flooded. water is coming down from the attic down to the bottom of the house!
    i hope that doesnt happen to our house :(

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭snowdaze

Janine87 wrote: »
    I got through the mobile number today. what did they tell me? that the water is probably still frozen! eh that is not what i wanted to hear. they dont care like. 4 houses to the right the house is flooded. water is coming down from the attic down to the bottom of the house!
    i hope that doesnt happen to our house :(

well, I don't have much knowledge of this, but, how about
    • checking to see if your attic water tank is empty/full/frozen....
    • switching off your water
    if your neighbours have an abundance of water then I guess this is not an issue for the Co. Co. but more an issue for your property....

You will know more when you have checked your attic tank......mine was empty - I had completely drained the whole house without knowing it by using it all before I realised the water had frozen.....so I knew it was frozen outside my house...I had to wait 4 days for it to thaw..

fingers crossed yours will be okay too:)

snowdaze wrote: »
    well, I don't have much knowledge of this, but, how about
    • checking to see if your attic water tank is empty/full/frozen....
    • switching off your water
    if your neighbours have an abundance of water then I guess this is not an issue for the Co. Co. but more an issue for your property....

You will know more when you have checked your attic tank......mine was empty - I had completely drained the whole house without knowing it by using it all before I realised the water had frozen.....so I knew it was frozen outside my house...I had to wait 4 days for it to thaw..

fingers crossed yours will be okay too:)

Hey thanks for your advise first of all.
    I don't think the water tank in the attic is frozen though. Nothing is left in it. We were using water fine when we had Christmas dinner. Only after then the water was off which would mean the water supply in the tank is empty.

The switch for the water is off since 3 days. It's on 0. Can't turn off the switch because that turns off the heating as well.

I hope the water will come back tomorrow. I am quite happy now because I was able to wash my hair. Lol but it is still a pain in the ass because flushing the toilet takes the most water. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Gazzumped

Hey thanks for your advise first of all.
    I don't think the water tank in the attic is frozen though. Nothing is left in it. We were using water fine when we had Christmas dinner. Only after then the water was off which would mean the water supply in the tank is empty.

The switch for the water is off since 3 days. It's on 0. Can't turn off the switch because that turns off the heating as well.

I hope the water will come back tomorrow. I am quite happy now because I was able to wash my hair. Lol but it is still a pain in the ass because flushing the toilet takes the most water. :eek:

Make sure you don't have an airlock somewhere - this happened to us last year and the attic tank wasn't filling as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Sligo CC came to Grange today and cut off our estates water. Then they set up a tap in the village.........:confused:

• Advertisement

Gazzumped wrote: »
    Make sure you don't have an airlock somewhere - this happened to us last year and the attic tank wasn't filling as a result.

What's an airlock?

By the way... Day 5 and still no sign of water!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

They are up the walls at the minute trying to repair leaks. On of the biggest problems is that pipes are bursting in the water meter boxes where they haven't fitted meters yet.

Its going to be a busy time for them at the minute. not much anyone can do I'm afraid.

Halleluja!!! Our water came back about an hour ago. :)
    So happy like. About time after 5 days with none.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

My mum's water is back on:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

sligono1 wrote: »
    yes the co.co have been informed but where other co.co have been out today getting stuck in to the problem,but when you have to resort to going to a river to get untreated water and boil it for use,there are plenty of people who are just scraping together to get through the xmas.and their local shop charging €2 a bottle,takes alot to keep a few kids going in those circumstances.
    During the summer when there was a water shortage there was
    tanks of water left round to the communites and they very least thats all i would be asking in the short term but hey nothing.

dont know what your emplying with the full stops sneer but give it a rest.theres no place for that crap......................................................................................

Proper punctuation is essential in written English to enable the reader to understand what it is you are trying to say. Spacing with punctuation is also important to make your writing readable. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Essexboy wrote: »
    Proper punctuation is essential in written English to enable the reader to understand what it is you are trying to say. Spacing with punctuation is also important to make your writing readable. :cool:

This is a thread about water not punctuation. Back on topic please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

A mate of mine had a leak at his stopcock the other day. The council told him to shut the water off or they would shut off the water to the whole estate (which they have yet to take into charge).

After some arguments, the head of the council's water department told him that he would arrange for a plumber to replace the faulty piece, but he would have to dig out the footpath around the stopcock so he could get access to it.

I spent the day before New Years Eve helping him do this. The plumber never came to look at it. In the meantime, he discovered that the problem was not with the pipe, but just a broken seal that could be patched up quite easily.

So I spent New Years Eve helping him fill back in the footpath, which really didn't need to be dug out in the first place.

So, I'll just take this opportunity to say thanks to the council for wasting two full days of my holidays for no good reason.

Keep up the good work lads.

Our water is back since Thursday but I knew something is gonna come after still because when the pipes are frozen there is nearly always a damage to it!
    Yesterday evening I went out and my mum was still in the house.
    The boiler made this huge banging noise. Scary as hell. I had to go back to the house. Didn't know what to do but I didn't expect a noise like that!
    Thank god one of the people I went out with was a plumber so he told us what the problems was. The pump needs to be replaced. A disgrace if you ask me though. The house is only 2 years old and it is a brand new estate here!!!:mad:

The boiler made this huge banging noise. Scary as hell. I had to go back to the house. Didn't know what to do but I didn't expect a noise like that!
    Thank god one of the people I went out with was a plumber so he told us what the problems was. The pump needs to be replaced.

If your boiler is making a loud banging noise, it's not the pump that needs replacing - the plumber you were with either doesn't have a clue what he is talking about or is just looking to make a few handy quid out of changing the pump, which is an easy job.

The problem of banging in boilers is cause by one of the following;

Scale in the Heating System

The build up of scale can be treated with a chemical descaler, found at most DIY stores. This involves shutting down the system, adding the product and leaving it to work for a few days. The system then needs to be drained, flushed through and refilled.

Boiler Thermostat is Set Too High or is Faulty

Lack of Water or Pressure in the Central Heating System

You will need to double check that the mains water is on. If it is, first turn off your boiler and check your Feed and Expansion Tank - move its metal arm to release the Float valve if it's stuck. Check that the Open Safety-Vent Pipe is correctly installed. Another cause could be that you have a burst pipe somewhere.

Whichever of the above it is caused by, changing the pump will do nothing to remedy the problem.

My advice is to get a plumber in who knows what he's talking about because I'm not a plumber & even I know that it's not the pump that's causing the problem.

Firstly, have you an open or closed heating system? (Is there a big red cylinder on the pipework somewhere)

The pump could well be damaged if it froze, it could have easily split the pump

Scale is extremely unlikely to be an issue here.

There may well be no water in the system, but that being the case there is a leak somewhere, and that could easily be related to the pump issue

If there was no water in the boiler, and it did boil over, then it should have tripped the high limit stat which would have shut it off altogether.

All of the above is just speculation though. You do need a plumber in to actually look at the system though, and not just to diagnose it over the phone or 'tinternet.

The pump could well be damaged if it froze, it could have easily split the pump

I may have spoken too soon. :D

As I said, I'm not a plumber, but I would be wary of some plumbers... I had one last year who told me that my pump wasn't working & offered to replace it with a new one.

I checked on the net to get some advice & checked the pump myself. It was working fine and still is working. Since then, I've been very wary of who I get in & have sorted a lot of plumbing issues myself.

But I'm no expert & from reading Fingers' posts on the Heating & Plumbing forum, I would doff my cap to him on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

That used to happen (the noise) in my childhood home. We used to have to let the hot water run out of the taps and it would stop. My father installed the system so I'm assuming it was a botch job, but in an emergency that's what I used to do. It's a scary noise!

My father installed the system so I'm assuming it was a botch job,

:D

That used to happen (the noise) in my childhood home. We used to have to let the hot water run out of the taps and it would stop. My father installed the system so I'm assuming it was a botch job, but in an emergency that's what I used to do. It's a scary noise!

That being the case, then where would one start to look for the problem...... :D

Nice to see you have confidence in you're dad's ability....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

That being the case, then where would one start to look for the problem...... :D

No idea. Solution though was to move.

<hugs PROPER heating system>

• Advertisement

No I'm sure he is a good plumber and knows what he is talking about. That loud noise was the safety thing that kicked in but he never heard it that loud he had to stop his evening for half an hour and came to our house to turn it off. The safety thing only takes a pressure of 3 but it was at 5 in the background.
    I think we get the pump replaced tomorrow. He will have a look at it anyways. But like I said that house is only newly built and we should not have any problems with it! We have the circulation coming up since I'd say 14 months!

If the pressure was blown off by the pressure relief valve, as you have described here, then its likely that the circulation pump has either failed, or the power supply to it has. One way or the other, a plumber needs to see to it..

P.S... I know a good one..... see sig......:D

If the pressure was blown off by the pressure relief valve, as you have described here, then its likely that the circulation pump has either failed, or the power supply to it has. One way or the other, a plumber needs to see to it..

P.S... I know a good one..... see sig......:D

I don't see a sig but I guess you are a plumber?

The plumber should come today I hope. Have to ask my boyfriend. At least we have the fire place working and the house is well isolated.
    I wouldn't worry that this could happen again though... Is there a chance or did this only happen because of the frozen water?

Advertisement