Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comfortable keyboard Recomendation

Options
  • 27-12-2010 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, jnr programmer student,

just wondering is there a such things as an ideal chorded/wireless keyboards ideal for coding sessions !

i do find regular keyboards tiring, I have seen those ergonomic keyboards are they gimicky or do they do the job !

any input appreciated

thanks !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I'm using a microsoft curve keyboard, which I find pretty easy on the fingers.
    I don't know how much the shape helps, but the keys have a short travel distance (if that's the phrase), they feel like the keys on a laptop in terms of action, but not as pokey and cramped due to the full size.
    The only downside of ergonomic keyboards is how long it takes to get used to the ever-so-slightly warped layout.
    Still beats the crap out of the standard cheapo keyboards that I used to get, where the keys would rub off each other on the way down, eurgh. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

IMG_6295.jpg

I'm using a microsoft curve keyboard, which I find pretty easy on the fingers.
    I don't know how much the shape helps, but the keys have a short travel distance (if that's the phrase), they feel like the keys on a laptop in terms of action, but not as pokey and cramped due to the full size.
    The only downside of ergonomic keyboards is how long it takes to get used to the ever-so-slightly warped layout.
    Still beats the crap out of the standard cheapo keyboards that I used to get, where the keys would rub off each other on the way down, eurgh. :eek:

Sorry man, but for programming or other intensive use, a 9 quid keyboard isn't up to scratch. That is a rubber dome keyboard which isn't the best when it comes to touch typing. A Kinesis or IBM/Unicomp board is exensive at first, but it will last for YEARS. Programmers don't need fluff like lights or ****ty tactile feedback for example. The curve does not offer much in terms of "tactile feedback". A solid dependable keyboard is all that is required. I am still using my M from 1988, and it's showing barely any signs of wear:pac: Again, if you are programming and want to avoid the costs/pain associated with RSI, you owe yourself to get a decent keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

kb_adv-wht720x442.jpg

My Kinesis keyboard. Got one when I started my postgrad because I was having to ice my wrists after typing on Sun Sparcstation keyboards a lot for my final year project. Used it for seven years before it gave out, then bought another from my own pocket and am still using it at the day job. No wrist pain. If you can touchtype already, you'll adapt to it inside ten minutes; if not, allow for a few days. If you hunt and peck, you don't need an ergonomic keyboard, you need typing lessons :D

There are two drawbacks. One is price - my first one ran to over 300IRP because I could only find a source in the US and had to ship it from california. They're much cheaper now, and there are sources in the UK and EU, but you're still looking at the guts of €300. Of course, new wrists cost a bit more even with VHI and this is the equivalent of a chef buying good knives or any other craftsman buying good tools, so...

The other drawback is, well, not to put too fine a point on it, gunk. You need to clean those puppies at least once or twice a year, or they get... icky.

keyboard_start.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Naikon wrote: »
    Sorry man, but for programming or other intensive use, a 9 quid keyboard isn't up to scratch.
    I know, I've owned a lot of horrible keyboards over the years as well as a spring-based IBM keyboard (which I would have taken better care of had I known), but this actually has a (comparatively) nice feel to it, very light and bouncy and doesn't leave my fingers stiff after 12 hours.
    Granted, it may be that I'm only impressed because I've gotten used to the worst keyboards known to man. :( (Spectrum 48k keyboard excluded)
    Naikon wrote: »
    Programmers don't need fluff like lights or ****ty tactile feedback for example.
    I don't recall saying they needed lights. :D
    I'm with you on that though, keyboard shopping is a bloody nightmare, with most retailers if you don't want the gimmicks then you're limited to the super-cheap crap. You can drop €100 on a wireless keyboard and mouse set, but you can't spend €50 on something built for actual typing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭SomeUnusedName

The Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard is pretty good for not a lot of buck.

http://www.techfuels.com/attachments/cpu-components/3311d1215417451-microsoft-ergonomic-keyboard-4000-microsoft-ergonomic-keyboard-4000.jpg

I had problems with the wrists too , and burning in the right shoulder, since I use this Keyboard (about 2 years now) all that is gone. there is a wireless version of it too, tho I hear it eats the batteries

And by the way not all of us are lads...

I know, I've owned a lot of horrible keyboards over the years as well as a spring-based IBM keyboard (which I would have taken better care of had I known), but this actually has a (comparatively) nice feel to it, very light and bouncy and doesn't leave my fingers stiff after 12 hours.
    Granted, it may be that I'm only impressed because I've gotten used to the worst keyboards known to man. :( (Spectrum 48k keyboard excluded)

I don't recall saying they needed lights. :D
    I'm with you on that though, keyboard shopping is a bloody nightmare, with most retailers if you don't want the gimmicks then you're limited to the super-cheap crap. You can drop €100 on a wireless keyboard and mouse set, but you can't spend €50 on something built for actual typing.

Hmmm. If it works for ya, I don't see why you should change then. It's easy for me to berate other keyboards, when I haven't changed mine in so long. If it feels good, then stick with it. I am using a 6 quid mouse, and I have no intention of upgrading it cause it just works. Got a "razer vespula" though as a pressie, great for the wrist :D

If you tried the M and didn't like it, I can't complain about it imo. Keyboards are a pain, I got one of ebay once and the actual shippping was more expensive(40 euro I think) than the keyboard! Was worth it though in retrospect. Has anybody here seriously considered the Optimus keyboard. You know, the 1500 euro OLED board. That is what I like to call a keyboard of excess.

The Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard is pretty good for not a lot of buck.

http://www.techfuels.com/attachments/cpu-components/3311d1215417451-microsoft-ergonomic-keyboard-4000-microsoft-ergonomic-keyboard-4000.jpg

I had problems with the wrists too , and burning in the right shoulder, since I use this Keyboard (about 2 years now) all that is gone. there is a wireless version of it too, tho I hear it eats the batteries

And by the way not all of us are lads...

Ergonomic which is a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

My 2 keyboards are an old Microsoft Internet Keyboard Pro, which is nice to type on and has a great, well-laid out selection of hotkeys... and Das Keyboard, which is quite a heavy keyboard to type on, which is what I like
    http://www.daskeyboard.com/

What exactly is your coding session problem? If you're like me, you probably find regular keyboards too soft, and you're bottoming out the keys on each press, resulting in shattered-feeling fingers (and ultimately RSI I guess). Then you want a keyboard with a heavy action, like both of the ones I mentioned have.

On the otherhand, if you're strugging to make each keystroke register, you need a softer keyboard!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Sparks wrote: »
    My Kinesis keyboard. Got one when I started my postgrad because I was having to ice my wrists after typing on Sun Sparcstation keyboards a lot for my final year project. Used it for seven years before it gave out, then bought another from my own pocket and am still using it at the day job. No wrist pain. If you can touchtype already, you'll adapt to it inside ten minutes; if not, allow for a few days. If you hunt and peck, you don't need an ergonomic keyboard, you need typing lessons :D

My girlfriend, who has tried quite a few ergonomic keyboards out, uses the Kinesis, that Sparks mentioned, and says its the best one she's used.

It does take a little while to learn to type with, and feels wierd at the start.

Personally, I use the Microsoft natural ergonomic keyboard 4000.
    I've used the microsoft natural keyboards since the first one they brought out, and (while they've produced the odd bad version) they are overall very good. The 4000 is really excellent, and you can get it for about 40euro.
    I'd try it out first, because its both cheap and good, and maybe look at something more expensive like the Kinesis if it doesn't work out.

You ask whether its a gimmick - its not a gimmick.
    An ergonomic keyboard makes a huge difference, and is really something every programmer should invest in getting used to.

Make sure you know how to touch type, at least reasonably well; if you don't, then learn.
    If you don't know yet, you could also try learn something like dvorak layout - I use qwerty myself, but if I was learning from scratch, would probably consider dvorak.

One other thing - everyone should try and optimise their workflow/tools so that they have to type less. Make sure to use an IDE or editor that saves typing (autocompleting, etc). Use autocomplete on the command line, write small shell scripts, rather than retyping commands, use powerful tools, high level languages etc. It all adds up...
    Spend less time writing on boards. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭sudzy

This is great!! I've always wondered was there a better keyboard out there. Those kinesis ones look great, would even consider a cheap dvorak one, just to try out.
    Coding takes long enough, might get outta the lab that bit quicker with one of those!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

sudzy wrote: »
    This is great!! I've always wondered was there a better keyboard out there. Those kinesis ones look great, would even consider a cheap dvorak one, just to try out.
    Coding takes long enough, might get outta the lab that bit quicker with one of those!

You don't need to buy a keyboard to try out dvorak - most OS allow you to change the key bindings. (Obviously, the letters on your current keyboard will then be wrong, but these would probably be easy to take off and switch around, if you had an old keyboard you didn't mind messing with. Which sounds like an interesting thing to do to one of these non-ergonomic keyboards I dont use)
    sudzy wrote: »
    might get outta the lab that bit quicker with one of those!
    this looks interesting too:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvorak_Simplified_Keyboard#Programmer_Dvorak

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭sudzy

Good thinking. Could just get a bit of masking tape and write the new keys over the original ones.. Could get messy though.

Advertisement