Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barmen Short Changing People

Options
  • 27-12-2010 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Seems to be a epidemic of this behaviour going on at the minute. Was attempted on me twice yesterday, and once on Christmas Eve. Spoke to a couple of friends and a similar thing happened to them.

Seems like more than "innocent mistakes", funny enough have yet to be given more change than I was due.

Do barmen think they can fleece the drunken reveller?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Some do, just keep your wits about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,970 ✭✭✭Degag

funny enough have yet to be given more change than I was due.
    Have often done it. Realised after i've given a customer their change that i gave them the change of a tenner instead of a fiver, or forgot to charge for a drink or mixer or something. Not many people say so either.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Happened me once in Barcode.

Start of the night and there was only about 12 people in the place including myself and 4 friends. I had just asked the taxi man to stop off at the ATM for cash for the night before arriving. When I got in I handed a €50 to my friend, headed to the toilet and told her to get myself and herself a drink. When I came back she handed me about €12 change.

She said to me "did you not give me a €50, I thought you did but the barman said otherwise" - I walked over to the barman and asked him for my remaining money. He told me to go away and that I was drunk. At this point not even a drop of alcohol had touched my lips.

Luckily for me, I know the head owner from playing poker, so out I walked to the hut to Mr. X and said that I was short changed. Mr.X went inside and told the lad behind the bar to count his til and that it shouldn't take long as it was only the start of the night.

In the end, I got my change back but not even an apology out of the c*nt.

Start of the night and there was only about 12 people in the place including myself and 4 friends. I had just asked the taxi man to stop off at the ATM for cash for the night before arriving. When I got in I handed a €50 to my friend, headed to the toilet and told her to get myself and herself a drink. When I came back she handed me about €12 change.

She said to me "did you not give me a €50, I thought you did but the barman said otherwise" - I walked over to the barman and asked him for my remaining money. He told me to go away and that I was drunk. At this point not even a drop of alcohol had touched my lips.

Luckily for me, I know the head owner from playing poker, so out I walked to the hut to Mr. X and said that I was short changed. Mr.X went inside and told the lad behind the bar to count his til and that it shouldn't take long as it was only the start of the night.

To be fair to the barman, you can often have chancers (and i'm not saying you're one!) who say they handed you a fifty when they didn't. I normally tell them that they'll have to come back tomorrow when the till is counted. It's not really necessary to count the till then because the genuine person will come back while the chancer won't!

Of course when you were proved to be right, you should have gotten an apology!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I gave a tenner to a barman for a Cidona.

Got back €47.80.

Suffice to say, I walked away pleased.
    Maybe I'm the reason the country is in such turmoil? If that's the case, I can understand the politicians/bankers/above-average Joe taking bonuses.

I had a good night anyway.

• Advertisement

Degag wrote: »
    To be fair to the barman, you can often have chancers (and i'm not saying you're one!) who say they handed you a fifty when they didn't. I normally tell them that they'll have to come back tomorrow when the till is counted. It's not really necessary to count the till then because the genuine person will come back while the chancer won't!

Of course when you were proved to be right, you should have gotten an apology!

Ah yea, I'm fully aware that people will try their luck at any given time. It was mainly the fact that the guy instantly thought I was drunk and completely dismissed my allegation and then wouldn't apologise when proven wrong.

I worked in retail for a number of years and had people trying on a regular basis. I quickly learned to just leave whatever note they gave me on the till before issuing the change. That way if there was ever any complication I would simply point to the note and say "this is your note, it hasn't been in the till"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Rosicky7 wrote: »

On Cidona?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I gave a barmen twenty euro for two pints of guiness once and got back the twenty and some change.He probablly thought I gave him a tenner or something.:D

Remmy wrote: »
    I gave a barmen twenty euro for two pints of guiness once and got back the twenty and some change.He probablly thought I gave him a tenner or something.:D
    How would that work exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

Degag wrote: »
    How would that work exactly?

Must have been in Oppositeland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

If there were no cameras in the place he would have got pulled over the counter by me and have recieving a big thumping. Plus I would take my change from the register.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

CorkMan wrote: »
    If there were no cameras in the place he would have got pulled over the counter by me and have recieving a big thumping. Plus I would take my change from the register.

No you wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭High energy

They need to make their money somehow, I say fair play to our new generation of thieving bar persons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

id say some do but i can say the majority of the time it's just a simple error. Was working in one of corks busiest nightclubs last night and we were very understaffed. had a few people catch me for money too.handed me a handfull of coppers and stroll away quickly. bar was too busy to go after them! if i short changed anyone it was cause i was doing the work of a few people!

I remember short changing a guy twice on one night. He went ballistic! One time it was for something like 15c or something. He couldn't understand why i wouldn't be bothered trying to short change someone for the sake of 15c!

They need to make their money somehow, I say fair play to our new generation of thieving bar persons.

I hope you get ripped off next time you buy a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Do barmen think they can fleece the drunken reveller?

Not just barmen, some barwomen seen to be doing it as well.

Are they not just called bartenders? Falling in with the whole air steward/stewardess - actor/actress bullsh*t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

its easy to confuse money i did it last week in our local, i ordered a bottle of coke, paid €5 and because it was busy i told him keep the change since it was only a euro or two, he looked at me all shocked and was like "are you sure?" so i said yes and went back to my friends, only when i got home i realized i had the €5 in my wallet and my €20 was gone....

so he got a decent tip anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

There use to be a guy in McDonaghs Dalkey (Before it changed management to the Ivory) who was renowned for short changing. I would always come prepared and would memorize the last five digits on any larger denomination and leave it mark on it before handing it to him, this guy was also seasoned at it and would hand back the change of a tenner in a crowded bar and quickly start serving down the other end of the bar hoping you would forget in the confusion, I exposed him twice out loud in front of customers.

A good tip is to break any lager notes to lessen this problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

its easy to confuse money i did it last week in our local, i ordered a bottle of coke, paid €5 and because it was busy i told him keep the change since it was only a euro or two, he looked at me all shocked and was like "are you sure?" so i said yes and went back to my friends, only when i got home i realized i had the €5 in my wallet and my €20 was gone....

Hehe, he probably thought you fancied him. Was he overly friendly next time you went in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

Hehe, he probably thought you fancied him. Was he overly friendly next time you went in?

ha ha :) no

we have before i did the above, gotten free drinks and crisps from there, which is why i didn't mind the large tip so much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

On Cidona?

I don't drink alcohol.

A good night for me is just relaxing, playing darts in a quiet pub, and chatting to some friends. :)

But to get the large amount of change, I was in a busy pub. But just relaxing with friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

When I worked at a well known supermarket I had plenty of off-moments where I would accidently short-change customers. They were always quick to point it out tho :pac: tbh it was more me being absent minded then any devious intent! But I also had a women who insisted over and over that I had short changed her 50 euro, even running to the manager complaining about me; we checked the cameras and i had infact given her the correct 50 euro change, she didn't even apologize, she just walked out of the shop.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I was in a bar last week, drink cost €10, gave the barman a €20 and he handed me back €40!

Highlight of my life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Got back €47.80.

Maybe I'm the reason the country is in such turmoil? If that's the case, I can understand the politicians/bankers/above-average Joe taking bonuses.

I once handed in 5euro for a 2euro take away coffee at a petrol station and got 48euro change back. Was a very broke student at the time. was a good week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Reminds me of a few months ago i went into Centra. Was at the till paying for stuff when there was another member of staff passing and she pointed at 10 euro on the ground 6ft away from me and asked did i drop it? There was no way it could of been mine but i just said thanks and scooped it up and out the door i went....:)

On the other hand, i was in Manchester airport in August, went into a cafe. My order came to £4.88. I handed her £5 and she gave me back £5.12p. I was feeling honest so pointed out her mistake and gave her back the fiver. She gave a face like this:confused:, followed by a face like this:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

ilovesleep wrote: »
    I once handed in 5euro for a 2euro take away coffee at a petrol station and got 48euro change back. Was a very broke student at the time. was a good week.
    I was in a bar last week, drink cost €10, gave the barman a €20 and he handed me back €40!

Highlight of my life!
    Remmy wrote: »
    I gave a barmen twenty euro for two pints of guiness once and got back the twenty and some change.He probablly thought I gave him a tenner or something.biggrin.gif

Got back €47.80.

Am I the only person that's stupid enough to give back money when I get too much change?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I'd give the money back in a shop, or a small pub. This was a loud obnoxious night club that were robbing me blind with the price of drinks anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dan185

4 quid for a bottle of coke:eek:

Advertisement