Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barmen Short Changing People

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭deanswift

Seems to be a epidemic of this behaviour going on at the minute. Was attempted on me twice yesterday, and once on Christmas Eve. Spoke to a couple of friends and a similar thing happened to them.

Seems like more than "innocent mistakes", funny enough have yet to be given more change than I was due.

Do barmen think they can fleece the drunken reveller?
    Name them and shame them or STFU

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I got sacked for doing this too much (well, this and handing out too many free drinks).. Made like 50 quid a night though so I wasnt too bothered:p! Its so easy in a club.. Some of the lads are fcuking pros at it! A friend once made 200 quid one night, needless to say he got the sack not long after too, far too many complaints... Went on a nice holiday to Napa not long after tho, so he probably wasnt too bothered either..:p

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Aussie Sean

I'd give the money back in a shop, or a small pub. This was a loud obnoxious night club that were robbing me blind with the price of drinks anyway!

Didn't you choose to go to said loud obnoxious night club????

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Didn't you choose to go to said loud obnoxious night club????

Sean

No, friends dragged me there! They agreed to leave after the 3rd random guy came up and asked me why I had a murderous look on my face :pac:

True story!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

i over charged someone by mistake lastnight and he copped it and so did i because i put port into the till in a rush instead of dash of port and he wanted a receipt so i got it for him.
    then i put in dash port and hit 3.20 (price of port) and then gave him the change and then he wanted a receipt for that. still didnt think i was right and wanted a receipt for the origional list so id to type out the list of drinks and cash it off and print a receipt for him and then write about 2 fecking notes in the till of what was done to balance. the fella just wanted to be stubborn and ignorant even when he knew he was wrong and his changed balanced the 2nd receipt he still wanted more.

i myself never short changed anyone on purpose, i get more tips when i dont :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I work in a bar. Sometimes when it's very busy I do genuinely give out the wrong change by mistake. Like sometimes if someone hands me a 50 I don't really look at it properly and mistake it for a ten. But this rarely happens and a apologise when it's pointed out to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Joe7

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I work in a bar. Sometimes when it's very busy I do genuinely give out the wrong change by mistake. Like sometimes if someone hands me a 50 I don't really look at it properly and mistake it for a ten. . .

It doesn't feel like a tenner, what would you get for that in a bar anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Its not just pubs this is happening in now,Bianca Jackson short changed me there the day before xmas eve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

THFC wrote: »
    I got sacked for doing this too much (well, this and handing out too many free drinks).. Made like 50 quid a night though so I wasnt too bothered:p! Its so easy in a club.. Some of the lads are fcuking pros at it! A friend once made 200 quid one night, needless to say he got the sack not long after too, far too many complaints... Went on a nice holiday to Napa not long after tho, so he probably wasnt too bothered either..:p

You are what is wrong with this country :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Working in a busy nightclub it has happened where I've accidently given someone the wrong change often only mixing up the note and instaly making sure all is right, but would never consider doing it on purpose. Bar staff have a responsibility to serve people who have been drinking honestly and most do but as in all walks of life your going to find chancers, both sides of the bar. When I go out I always ask how much the drinks are, generally will stop any dodgy staff trying anything.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

I'd give the money back in a shop, or a small pub. This was a loud obnoxious night club that were robbing me blind with the price of drinks anyway!

But that barmans till will then be down at the end of the night! Which he may have to pay back himself!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

deanswift wrote: »
    Name them and shame them or STFU

Dandelion :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Joe7 wrote: »
    It doesn't feel like a tenner, what would you get for that in a bar anyway?

WTF!! It doesn't feel like a tenner? It's not like barstaff have to use all their 5 senses to identify a banknote! Also, in my pub you can get three pints for less than €11.

Most barmen in town empty the contents of the trays under the taps into pint glasses near the end of the night and start offloading them on the drunkest customers, then keep their money rather than charge it to the til, they're making a fortune off it. Scum :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭mann

For some reason I keep mistaking the €20 for a €5 note… so I’m in my local and the girl serving me gives me the change of a €20 when I thought I had given her a €5 note… 3 times I said to her that I only gave her €5 and 3 times she said it was a €20 in the end she took it back saying she would check the till at end of shift,

This happened me twice on different occasions in the same bar with different bar tenders… reason I gave it back is because I knew that if they’re till was down at the end of the night that the money the till was down would be taken from they’re wage’s,

What made me cop on was weeks later I said to my nephew “ Here’s a fiver for you” he pointed out that it was a €20

Then later that evening I gave an honest barman from a different pub what I thought was two €5 notes for 2 pints and he pointed out that I had given him a €20 and a €5 to pay an €8 bill, :confused:

Now I wasn’t drunk when any of these transactions went on but I was really pissed when I thought about the other staff not giving me my money back when they later checked they’re tills to find they were up money, :mad:

Mug of the year or what

mann wrote: »
    For some reason I keep mistaking the €20 for a €5 note… so I’m in my local and the girl serving me gives me the change of a €20 when I thought I had given her a €5 note… 3 times I said to her that I only gave her €5 and 3 times she said it was a €20 in the end she took it back saying she would check the till at end of shift,

This happened me twice on different occasions in the same bar with different bar tenders… reason I gave it back is because I knew that if they’re till was down at the end of the night that the money the till was down would be taken from they’re wage’s,

What made me cop on was weeks later I said to my nephew “ Here’s a fiver for you” he pointed out that it was a €20

Then later that evening I gave an honest barman from a different pub what I thought was two €5 notes for 2 pints and he pointed out that I had given him a €20 and a €5 to pay an €8 bill, :confused:

Now I wasn’t drunk when any of these transactions went on but I was really pissed when I thought about the other staff not giving me my money back when they later checked they’re tills to find they were up money, :mad:

Mug of the year or what

This is the man to get us out of this Recession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

CorkMan wrote: »
    If there were no cameras in the place he would have got pulled over the counter by me and have recieving a big thumping. Plus I would take my change from the register.

Oh lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

johnn wrote: »
    Most barmen in town empty the contents of the trays under the taps into pint glasses near the end of the night and start offloading them on the drunkest customers, then keep their money rather than charge it to the til, they're making a fortune off it. Scum :rolleyes:
    I would doubt it tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

maxxie wrote: »
    Dandelion :eek:

That place is an over priced hole.

This is bull****...

How do people come up with this crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

them drip trays are the messiest things ever to empty into a mop bucket when washing them not to mind a point glass.
    that post is so much B**LOX

and did the other customers stand there watching him do this and not complain eh? or did he suddenly disappear with it behind closed doors and came out again with the tray empty and a full pint? and guinness would make beer go a dirty colour in it too.

complete bullsh!t

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Rosicky7 wrote: »
    I gave a tenner to a barman for a Cidona.

Got back €47.80.

Suffice to say, I walked away pleased.
    Maybe I'm the reason the country is in such turmoil? If that's the case, I can understand the politicians/bankers/above-average Joe taking bonuses.

I had a good night anyway.

I'm sure the barman had a hard night at work had to explain a costly mistake to his boss at the end of the night.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

This is the man to get us out of this Recession.

:eek: Me thinks not dude :)

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    I'm sure the barman had a hard night at work had to explain a costly mistake to his boss at the end of the night.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

What's the going rate for a barman… cant be more than €50 for a 5 hour shift,

So now you have me thinking of this poor sucker going home with €2 in his pocket only to tell his wife and 4 hungry kids that he got the sack :(

All because of the “Cidona kid” :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Mug of the year or what

Should have gone here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

What's the going rate for a barman… cant be more than €50 for a 5 hour shift,

So now you have me thinking of this poor sucker going home with €2 in his pocket only to tell his wife and 4 hungry kids that he got the sack :(

All because of the “Cidona kid” :rolleyes:

You can get drunk on Cidona if you have loads of 50p pieces y'know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Were you dropped on your head as a baby, or what?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I wouldn't fancy ripping off the most drunk customers TBH. If you short change a drunk scumbag there would be no quarells in him glassing you.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

A regular cu*tstomer of mine gave me a fiver with a twenty wrapped up inside it he hadn't noticed, for 1 pint. I said nothing but gave him back change of a twenty, I noticed he looked funny at me but didn't say anything. I carried on. A few minutes later I went back to him and asked had I given him the right change. Of course I had. @sshole failed the test.
    I've also seen loads of barmen ripping off customers and publicans. You can spot them a mile away if you know what you're looking for. I don't agree with ripping off customers.

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Should have gone here

:D you may be right there but I'm not the only one it happened to... when i told a friend about it he said he has done much the same thing, and I have seen the post on here where a chap gave a much bigger tip than intended so a lot more people must have been caught out this way... maybe I should bust all my bigger notes into €5 notes before going to the pub :)

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    You can get drunk on Cidona if you have loads of 50p pieces y'know.

Oh go on.... you know you want to tell me:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I've seen barmen purposely taking their time on giving back change of a fiver, And usually the customer gets too impatient to wait around for 50 cent

Advertisement