Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barmen Short Changing People

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    I've seen barmen purposely taking their time on giving back change of a fiver, And usually the customer gets too impatient to wait around for 50 cent

The fucker was probably in concert :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

johnn wrote: »
    You are what is wrong with this country :rolleyes:

Bothered. Made over a grand, didnt get taxed on it and I still had my wages to come. Went a long way in helping me get my VW Golf :P
    People have to realise most barmen make a fortune off this, esp in clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 pastylegs

Once again there are a large number of people commenting on something they probably known very little about.

Unfortunately there are assholes working behind bars doing some of the things mentioned, but they are the absolute minority. I've worked in a few bars and know a lot of barmen in Dublin CC and this just doesn't go on to the level people seem to think. That said, where there are bad management, bad staff follow. If you see this stuff going on, you are drinking in the wrong place. In a well run pub/club/bar, the management should be experienced enough to cut this out (or just hire good staff).

On another note, for every one of these barmen, there are probably 100 customers trying to run away with drinks, steal from the bar, abuse the staff, underpay and so on. But that's the nature of the environment and you get on with it. Drunk people do stupid things. In busy bars it can be very difficult to concentrate when so many people are shouting at you, you have 3 orders in your head and the bar is 3 deep, so mistakes do happen.

Most people don't know how to complain (whether it's in a bar/shop/restaurant etc.). Conversely, it's very easy to recognize someone who has worked in the service industry when they are complaining, because they generally know exactly what to say. Shouting gets you nowhere. Threats get you nowhere. Accusations get you nowhere. Calm, collected, honest complaints will probably get things fixed much much quicker, and you will probably get compensation in return

(To the asshole who didn't give the change for a 50; if he gave you back 3.80 from a 50, you would assume theft, but the same mistake reversed and it's your lucky day. Good for you,but no so much for him though; he more then likely had to pay that out of pocket. You're worse then the few barmen that prompted this thread.)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

pastylegs wrote: »
    In a well run pub/club/bar, the management should be experienced enough to cut this out (or just hire good staff)

You can hire as many people as you like, human error will still occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

THFC wrote: »
    Bothered. Made over a grand, didnt get taxed on it and I still had my wages to come. Went a long way in helping me get my VW Golf :P

I beg to differ. I've worked in pubs and clubs up and down the country for well over 10 years, and it's not at epidemic level as you suggest at all.

• Advertisement

You can hire as many people as you like, human error will still occur.

I don't mean human error. That will happen no matter what. I'm talking about purposely short changing, not putting drinks in the till etc.

I don't mean human error. That will happen no matter what. I'm talking about short changing, not putting drinks in the till etc.

Yea but those things can and will be forgotten about at times. There are things in my job that slip my mind at times, things that I should be doing all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

the only thing all of us do in the bar is throw money for drinks into the till without clocking it in. the stock is never accurate in there anyway because the owners take their own drink and fags and what not. we only do this so our till wont be down at the end of the night and lose out on money.
    all our tills are now up a maybe a 5er on a quite night but we dont get that in our wages but be sure if it wass down a 5er we'd have it taken out.

they came up with ways of ripping us off so we now have ways to balance it out

Yea but those things can and will be forgotten about at times. There are things in my job that slip my mind at times, things that I should be doing all the time.

Ye of course, everyone makes mistakes, but a good manager should be able to spot the difference between someone who makes occasional mistakes, and someone who is stealing.

Ye of course, everyone makes mistakes, but a good manager should be able to spot the difference between someone who makes occasional mistakes, and someone who is stealing.

Oh of course, agreed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Taxi drivers are lethal for it too!!

Was in a cab from the train station to my gaff about a month ago, it came to €17.50 and the driver(who was African) ASKED ME how much change I wanted... WTF!!!

He looked sickend when I asked for the correct change. I've worked in bars and restaurants for a few years and I ALWYS tip, simply because I know how horrible the job can be, but this was just feicin ridiculous!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 rossean

A guy I know who used to work as a barman would deliberately shortchange people as they got drunker. It goes on a good bit...

SarahBeep! wrote: »

Was in a cab from the train station to my gaff about a month ago, it came to €17.50 and the driver(who was African) ASKED ME how much change I wanted... WTF!!!

He looked sickend when I asked for the correct change. I've worked in bars and restaurants for a few years and I ALWYS tip, simply because I know how horrible the job can be, but this was just feicin ridiculous!!

Beep off Sarah.

Damn those Africans, taking our jobs and our change :rolleyes:

rossean wrote: »
    A guy I know who used to work as a barman would deliberately shortchange people as they got drunker. It goes on a good bit...

Apparently so ... according to that one guy you used to know who works in a particular bar somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Beep off Sarah.

Go Beep yourself.

Go Beep yourself.

I would if you hadn't already Beep'd me last night :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 35 rossean

Apparently so ... according to that one guy you used to know who works in a particular bar somewhere.

Don't care wheter you believe it or not...it happened. He often boasts about it. Not a barman anymore thankfully. Just check your change.

rossean wrote: »
    Don't care wheter you believe it or not...it happened. He often boasts about it. Not a barman anymore thankfully. Just check your change.

I do believe it. I'm just saying that because one asshole barman does it doesn't mean it goes on more then you think.

I do believe it.

AAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY Don't Believe it! - Ted Crilly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

CorkMan wrote: »
    If there were no cameras in the place he would have got pulled over the counter by me and have recieving a big thumping. Plus I would take my change from the register.

lol at the internet tough guy

I think we're all in agreement at this stage that all barmen are scum. I'll be counting my change from now on.

I think we're all in agreement at this stage that all barmen are scum. I'll be counting my change from now on.

I propose cutting out the barmen altogether and just sneaking in naggins and cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    No you wouldn't.

I dunno, some people are psychos.

I propose cutting out the barmen altogether and just sneaking in naggins and cans.
    your a bit late proposing it, its done everywhere.
    some one on mi wadi been twisted at the end of the night is one sure sign

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭hynesie08

But then the off-licences will short change us. It's a vicious circle.

garv123 wrote: »
    them drip trays are the messiest things ever to empty into a mop bucket when washing them not to mind a point glass.
    that post is so much B**LOX

and did the other customers stand there watching him do this and not complain eh? or did he suddenly disappear with it behind closed doors and came out again with the tray empty and a full pint? and guinness would make beer go a dirty colour in it too.

complete bullsh!t

Why would the other customers care what happens to other punters? In some cases they use ones left over from the night before. This definitely happens frequently in busy clubs in the city center.

THFC wrote: »

I would usually say fair play to you for doing a shit Job and showing you are an honest worker like me and not one of them dole scroungers who I have no respect for, but stealing from your customers who are paying your wages actually puts you on a par with someone on the dole IMO.

Why would the other customers care what happens to other punters? In some cases they ones left over from the night before. This definitely happens frequently in busy clubs in the city center.

because its you who could get it the next night. you must have been in sum sh!te pub to see this happen full of scum because in any pub ive been in it never happens and it it did they would be reported and have their licences removed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Why would the other customers care what happens to other punters? In some cases they ones left over from the night before. This definitely happens frequently in busy clubs in the city center.
    No it doesn't happen anywhere close to frequently.

Advertisement