Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barmen Short Changing People

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

garv123 wrote: »
    because its you who could get it the next night. you must have been in sum sh!te pub to see this happen full of scum because in any pub ive been in it never happens and it it did they would be reported and have their licences removed

Its not pubs really, it is the big nightclubs that you can barely move in. Would you really risk being barred from your pub for reporting them if they weren't feeding you the slops? they only do it to drunk customers.

Degag wrote: »
    No it doesn't happen anywhere close to frequently.

It happens regularly & often

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭elspecia

Was once given the change of a 20 when I only gave the barman a 10, i told the barman of his mistake and he didn't charge me for my next pint:D

elspecia wrote: »
    Was once given the change of a 20 when I only gave the barman a 10, i told the barman of his mistake and he didn't charge me for my next pint:D

:rolleyes: The free pint was probably from the slops tray.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

elspecia wrote: »

Good on ya! Sound barman too
    johnn wrote: »

You're just full of beans aren't you!? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Good on ya! Sound barman too

You're just full of beans aren't you!? :rolleyes:

Better than being full of Shit :rolleyes:

Better than being full of Shit :rolleyes:

I'm not really sure if that's directed at me... if so, :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Would you really risk being barred from your pub for reporting them if they weren't feeding you the slops? they only do it to drunk customers.

yes because they wouldn't have to bar me as they wouldn't get my money again until something changed there, in which case I would expect to not be barred anyway. I would also tell as many people as possible to try stop them going there.

matrim wrote: »
    yes because they wouldn't have to bar me as they wouldn't get my money again until something changed there, in which case I would expect to not be barred anyway. I would also tell as many people as possible to try stop them going there.

Not to be bad or anything but I seriously doubt the lose of 1 customer will change their attitude. You also say that you'll encourage others not to go there but again, how many people can that possibly be, 10-15 tops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Its not pubs really, it is the big nightclubs that you can barely move in. Would you really risk being barred from your pub for reporting them if they weren't feeding you the slops? they only do it to drunk customers.
    I think we're all in agreement at this stage that all barmen are scum. I'll be counting my change from now on.
    Why would the other customers care what happens to other punters? In some cases they use ones left over from the night before. This definitely happens frequently in busy clubs in the city center.
    I would usually say fair play to you for doing a shit Job and showing you are an honest worker like me and not one of them dole scroungers who I have no respect for, but stealing from your customers who are paying your wages actually puts you on a par with someone on the dole IMO.

The comments you have made here are complete tripe.

Since when does being on social welfare equate to being a theif?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Is it even possible to refill a keg with slops?

Nope!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

You can degas a keg, remove the insert in the neck (can't remember the actual name of it), put in a funnel and return the slops to the brewery for credit for a bad keg. If you don't know what you're doing or use the wrong tools, you can easily kill yourself. It has happened. Very highly pressurised kegs. Most cellar men would send these kegs back to brewery, some may not. It would be pure ****e if re tapped. Never seen it done. I have split a pint and topped it up with fresh beer to liven it up or chill it a bit, but it would have been a spare pint or a recently pulled one. Never guinness and Never served slops. Wouldn't serve anything I wouldn't drink myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

dr ro wrote: »
    A regular cu*tstomer of mine gave me a fiver with a twenty wrapped up inside it he hadn't noticed, for 1 pint. I said nothing but gave him back change of a twenty, I noticed he looked funny at me but didn't say anything. I carried on. A few minutes later I went back to him and asked had I given him the right change. Of course I had. @sshole failed the test.
    I've also seen loads of barmen ripping off customers and publicans. You can spot them a mile away if you know what you're looking for. I don't agree with ripping off customers.

Interesting care to share what are you looking for?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Was in a very well-known pub in Drumcondra when i noticed a bottle of Larios Gin in the Gordon's optic..the two bottles look vaguely the same from a distance.
    Having spent time in spain i can assure you that Larios gin is fit only for mucking out a cage or stripping paint..i asked the barman was it on special or something and he said "No,this is what we carry now"..in a supermarket in spain the stuff is 5 euro a litre..if he's importing it in bulk it must be costing him 1 cent a shot and he's charging full price for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Not to be bad or anything but I seriously doubt the lose of 1 customer will change their attitude. You also say that you'll encourage others not to go there but again, how many people can that possibly be, 10-15 tops?

I agree but if more people were willing to do this and not risk getting served slops then it wouldn't happen in even the few places it does.

Plus in the unlikely event it were to happen in my local, they would be losing about 5 customers who drink there on a weekly basis and maybe another 5 who would drink there at least once a month. That's not including the other regulars who I would make sure to let know.

It's not going to shut them down but I don't want to drink somewhere that I know does that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

matrim wrote: »

Plus in the unlikely event it were to happen in my local, they would be losing about 5 customers who drink there on a weekly basis and maybe another 5 who would drink there at least once a month. That's not including the other regulars who I would make sure to let know.

It's not going to shut them down but I don't want to drink somewhere that I know does that

Proper order..a regular haunt of mine installed this new arsehole of a barman who insisted on blaring football on the screens and refusing to switch on the jukebox..when a few people complained,he barred them.

Nearly 20 of us blanked the pub because of him..(many of these people would be there every weekend sometimes two nites running)and let it be known why..their business took a huge dive and he was gotten rid of.

I heard later that he was notorious for shortchanging people as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

Most barmen in town empty the contents of the trays under the taps into pint glasses near the end of the night and start offloading them on the drunkest customers, then keep their money rather than charge it to the til, they're making a fortune off it. Scum :rolleyes:

FAIL

absolute bull****

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

jimmay wrote: »
    Interesting care to share what are you looking for?
    I'm aware this didn't require any actual detective skills but I've actually seen a barman in a nite club walking away from a customer, towards the till and then just putting the money straight in his pocket. He was just a barman serving, not a manager doing the cash. Also, not ringing in all the drinks they've served, the til being over every night is a dead give away that someone's on the fiddle, as someone previously mentioned they ensure they do to deflect attention!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭travellingbid

maxxie wrote: »
    FAIL

absolute bull****

No it isn't - I know of a place where at the end of the night, they'd do it to a particular customer to encourage him to go home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭bubblicious

A bartender in a well-known late bar in Cork tried to short change me when using my laser card one night. I bought a round of drinks (came to something like €17) and used my laser to pay. When he handed me the machine, I was chatting to my friends and just typed in the PIN without paying much attention to the amount on the machine (stupidity on my behalf!). Anyway, got my receipt saying the amount taken from my account was €37. I called over the bartender after he'd walked away and asked him about it. He tried to pretend that I'd asked for €20 cash back. I said I hadn't asked for any cashback and even if I had, he hadn't given me the money. He walked around to the otherside of the bar, took the money out of his pocket (he didn't walk far enough for me not to see this!) and then came back and gave me my €20. My own fault for not checking the machine but what a complete ass. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

No!
    he will have to lift out the drip tray and pour it into a pint glass.(drip tray will be filled with beer,cider and guinness) so just imagine the colour it of.

i work in a country pub so if i did that locals would complain and leave and i would be fired. my brother works in one of the biggest clubs in cork where stock is measured after each night and even he thinks this is bollox even on the college nights when they would mistake water for vodka.
    it would take a rite dirty pub to do this and how messy must the staff be to fill more than one of 2 pints of mess in the drip tray even on a dirty night

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Steodonn

Drip tray is bollocks. Way to hard to pour into the pint glass not worth the effort

On the short changing issue. It has really gotten bad in some of the bigger clubs. I mostly stick to 2 smallish bars for nights out. At least you know your not getting ripped off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

It doesn't. Please, please, please stop talking ****. First of all, most driptrays run directly into the sink. Second of all, putting the remnants of the driptray into a pint glass wouldn't look anywhere near a pint. Thirdly, i've worked in very busy pubs. At the end of any given night, i'd be surprised if there was more than 5 pints of slops in the trays - if it doesn't go down the sink - Think risk vs reward? Fourthly, No matter how drunk i was i'd know the difference between a pint of beer and a pint of slops. Fifthly, any pub that makes a regular habit of it would be named, shamed and out of business fairly quickly. So stop insulting our intelligence telling us it happens regularily when it does not.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Lizzzard

mann wrote: »
    What's the going rate for a barman… cant be more than €50 for a 5 hour shift,

So now you have me thinking of this poor sucker going home with €2 in his pocket only to tell his wife and 4 hungry kids that he got the sack :(

All because of the “Cidona kid” :rolleyes:

Who's job responsibility is it for giving out change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Degsy wrote: »
    Was in a very well-known pub in Drumcondra when i noticed a bottle of Larios Gin in the Gordon's optic..the two bottles look vaguely the same from a distance.
    Having spent time in spain i can assure you that Larios gin is fit only for mucking out a cage or stripping paint..i asked the barman was it on special or something and he said "No,this is what we carry now"..in a supermarket in spain the stuff is 5 euro a litre..if he's importing it in bulk it must be costing him 1 cent a shot and he's charging full price for it!

If its the one I'm thinking of... Then I'd be suprised if it was even Larios in the bottle. I used to work and deliver for a wholesaler who supplied them. All they bought was Glens vodka in huge quantities, never any decent brands - you can guess what you got from the smirnoff bottles behind the bar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Am I the only person that's stupid enough to give back money when I get too much change?

We're in the minority by the looks of it.

There's an old belief amongst many of our global neighbours that the "irish were all thieves and drunkards". I'm sorry to say but I believe it to be mostly true and the only word I would complain about is the "all". It should read "mostly"

Similar to the BOI ATM issue a few weeks back. At the slightest hint that they would be able to steal something, mobs formed at every ATM. And these were the very people most likely to blame the "bankers" for the "recession".

If money is not mine, I don't keep it. I will try to get it back to it's rightful owner, and if not possible, will give it to charity. I don't own it, I don't deserve it. I can tell myself a hundred lies, but if I keep it, I am nothing but a scumbag thief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Taxi drivers are lethal for it too!!

Was in a cab from the train station to my gaff about a month ago, it came to €17.50 and the driver(who was African) ASKED ME how much change I wanted... WTF!!!

He looked sickend when I asked for the correct change. I've worked in bars and restaurants for a few years and I ALWYS tip, simply because I know how horrible the job can be, but this was just feicin ridiculous!!

African taxi drivers can be very blatant with wanting tips.

The best one they like to pull is that if a taxi fare comes to say 5c over the euro mark (10.05c 15.05c etc etc) they'll call it down to the cent but if you pay to the exact amount (say 10euro 5 cent :P ) they look at you. Because calling the "and .5cent" is to make you round it off higher with a tip :rolleyes: ... with your average taxi driver they'll round it off to the euro (if its only a few cent over the euro mark) which is more likely to encourage a tip (apart from the taxi driver just making things easy)

Maybe its just me, But I dont mind tipping. However I dont like tipping when someone pushes for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

I remember working in the Savoy Cinema back in 2008 and they had fake euro notes that got passed through on the wall of the cash office. I shall always remember the pi*s poor photocopied 50 euro note with the trailed ink ahahahaha. :D

You know when your printer is running out of ink and the last few copies look terrible? yeah. it was like that. And one of the staff members actually accepted it lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭mann

Lizzzard wrote: »
    Who's job responsibility is it for giving out change?

Hey kid

If you don’t know the answer to that already I would advise you to stay out of pub’s :p:rolleyes:

Advertisement