Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barmen Short Changing People

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

I would usually say fair play to barmen for doing a shit Job and showing you are an honest worker like me and not one of them dole scroungers who I have no respect for, but stealing from your customers who are paying your wages actually puts you on a par with someone on the dole IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

johnn wrote: »
    I would usually say fair play to barmen for doing a shit Job and showing you are an honest worker like me and not one of them dole scroungers who I have no respect for, but stealing from your customers who are paying your wages actually puts you on a par with someone on the dole IMO

In fairness, if I was serving you, I'd probably piss in your pint.

Congratulations on all of the sweeping generalisations and idiotic comments you have made in this thread.

Your parents must be very proud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

This is common knowledge in bar-tending circles so I don't know which bar you drinking in if it never happens. I heard of a barman once who went a step further and actually pissed in a pint glass and gave it to some guy who was off his face and he knocked it back like it was a pint of Arthur's finest.

Well I don't drink in scum holes where the bar staff piss in pint glasses anyways.
    No1J wrote: »
    Go and have a few pints, have a laugh, and stop coming across so picky.

I've been in the coming across as picky game for a while. I know my stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

I'm not so sure it is as black and white, wages and conditions in the industry are poor, and its hard work. Also, not condoning it, but if you deal with fool drunks day in and day out, you begin to get tempted to do them over(candy off a kid and all that). I remember my dad coming home with black eyes etc when he got hired by a new club to reduce theft, the culture is and was well ingrained and taken as an unofficial right. I followed my dad into the business and worked for a while as a doorman, and I now have a very respectful attitude towards doormen and barstaff as I know the sh1te the have to listen to day in and day out. I never get drunk when out and about in town, I saw too many people come to grief with that, but on-topic, assume you are going to get taken every now and then, and just be vigilant. Its the nature of the beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭jdooley28

alyuciao wrote: »
    A good barman ( and the same goes for a customer ) should always state how much is been given to/by him.

I hand over drinks for say 15.50 and the customer hands me 20. I look them in the eye and say 20. Then give them their change and say 4.50.

Likewise, as a customer, when I buy something in a bar or shop, I always say how much I'm handing over.

Basic, common sense but sometimes mistakes do happen. Nobody is perfect.

its clearly not busy where u work so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭yoppo

I work in a bar in Ennis and I never short change people no matter how drunk or how ignorant someone is! I wouldn't like it done to me so it wouldn't even cross my mind.
    What I hate are people, mostly women (in my experience), who insist they gave you a twenty and it was a ten. I told her to come back the next day and she cursed a ridiculous amount at me. The till was spot on so I was pretty infuriated at her behavior. She wasn't even drunk.

Edit: The bar I work in is busy but I always tell them how much it is. What I hate are people who say "It's a fifty (when they hand me the money)". I know why you are saying that but a good barman doesn't need to be told how much he has in his hand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

yoppo wrote: »
    I work in a bar in Ennis and I never short change people no matter how drunk or how ignorant someone is! I wouldn't like it done to me so it wouldn't even cross my mind.
    What I hate are people, mostly women (in my experience), who insist they gave you a twenty and it was a ten. I told her to come back the next day and she cursed a ridiculous amount at me. The till was spot on so I was pretty infuriated at her behavior. She wasn't even drunk.

Edit: The bar I work in is busy but I always tell them how much it is. What I hate are people who say "It's a fifty (when they hand me the money)". I know why you are saying that but a good barman doesn't need to be told how much he has in his hand!
    I don't thinks its as much of an issue in rural areas, you'd get a name too quick. Its a city issue more so, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

I sure hope you never lose your job and end up on the dole John!!

No.....wait......that's a lie.......Actually, I DO hope you lose your job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

yoppo wrote: »

Call the manager he closes the pos in front of the customer he reads the pos, puts a new spare cash drawer into the pos and the staff carry on working takes 10 seconds. Manager counts the drawer and tells the customer the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Theres one place in North Dublin that I've noticed this happening A LOT. There's also a cover charge on the door and the drinks are fairly pricey comparitively anyway. I have been frisked before entering aswell, so no chance of hiding naggins etc (which is fair enough but frisking? Pish off).

Got short changed in this place twice and as soon as I said it the barman said nothing and gave me the rest of my change. Which is basically saying 'i know exactly what I did'. Happened to friends of mine aswell. Needless to say, not going back there anymore.

Have had it happen on rare occasions in other Dublin pubs/clubs, but I think they were more genuine mistakes, it does happen, bar staff can be insanely busy and slip up same as anybody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Most barmen in town empty the contents of the trays under the taps into pint glasses near the end of the night and start offloading them on the drunkest customers, then keep their money rather than charge it to the til, they're making a fortune off it. Scum :rolleyes:

LOL yeah a warm flat concoxion of Carlsberg, Heino, Bulmers and everyother draught beer. They would want to be VERY drunk lol. Ive worked in many bars and that DOES not happen lol. But you made me laugh ha ha

"PINT A SLOPS PLEASE, MATE"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

No it isn't - I know of a place where at the end of the night, they'd do it to a particular customer to encourage him to go home

I take it back, arlington o connell bridge - guilty

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

This thread is a load of ****. You'll get chancers and theives in ANY industry but no more so in hospitality than any other. As for the sh1te of serving slops - the vast majority of bar staff couldn't be bothered. Watering down pints - practically never happens either as it's almost impossible to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Tubsandtiles

The opposite happened to me, my mother had been in Hungary and had brought back a Hungarian note with 50 on it (50 forints) I think. New years eve last I handed to a barman by accident, he was about to give me my change when I noticed I had given him the wrong 50 so I told him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

The only times someone has tried to shortchange me was when I was at a debs. I've been to a few, two different places and have been shortchanged a number of times. One place was noted for it, I mentioned it to everyone I knew and about half of them said the same happened to them and or it did happen to them over the night. I bet it was a mix of dodgy bar men, them thinking they'll be able to rip off kids on some of their first nights drinking in a bar.

And they tried the, "You'll have to come back tomorrow" business. No I ****ing won't. I know how much I handed to you, you sort out your mistake now. And the bull**** about counting the till I won't accept either, unless you can show me video of me handing over the wrong amount or right amount and it getting all the way into the till, plus no-one else taking anything from the till for the course of the night. How easy would it be for someone to wrong change you, then pull the extra twenty from the till half an hour later. The till comes up right and they tell you to **** off. No-way would I let them make me wait for them to make more **** ups and then fob me off.

Fortunately I don't have to deal with this in any of the pubs I go to as I'm on talking terms with all the barmen in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 johnj26

Shortchanging/Stealing from punters.

Seems to be a epidemic of this behaviour going on at the minute. Was attempted on me twice on Sunday. Spoke to a couple of friends and a similar thing happened to them.

Seems like more than "innocent mistakes", funny enough have yet to be given more change than I was due.

Do barmen think they can fleece the drunken reveller?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Blast them.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

This isn't a new thing.

Was at the point (f*ck off if I'm calling it the o2) and cousin bought two over-priced drinks and handed yer man the exact change. I walked up to the same til after and noticed that instead of putting them through as two pints he put it through as a pint and a short and went to pocket the remainder.

I went "oh, is that my mates change?" to which yer man just threw it back in to the til. Fecker. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

There's a Dublin forum you know.. if you don't want to stop ending every thread with "in the city center"

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Merged with a pretty recent thread that doesn't just deal with Dooblin

• Advertisement

chin_grin wrote: »
    This isn't a new thing.

Was at the point (f*ck off if I'm calling it the o2) and cousin bought two over-priced drinks and handed yer man the exact change. I walked up to the same til after and noticed that instead of putting them through as two pints he put it through as a pint and a short and went to pocket the remainder.

I went "oh, is that my mates change?" to which yer man just threw it back in to the til. Fecker. :pac:

Yeah I know mate, Also Most barmen in town empty the contents of the trays under the taps into pint glasses near the end of the night and start offloading them on the drunkest customers, then keep their money rather than charge it to the til, they're making a fortune off it. Scum :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

johnj26 wrote: »
    Shortchanging/Stealing from punters.

Seems to be a epidemic of this behaviour going on at the minute. Was attempted on me twice on Sunday. Spoke to a couple of friends and a similar thing happened to them.

Seems like more than "innocent mistakes", funny enough have yet to be given more change than I was due.

Do barmen think they can fleece the drunken reveller?

Why did you italicise the word "have"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Drink prices should be clearly displayed at the bar
    It's hard to keep your wits about you when you have over a tenner
    get handed back coins in the dark.

I don't know if that drink was 5.20 or 6.70 it doesn't matter because I can't even see what I'm being handed back and if I did think something was not quite right there's already too many people shoving me to get to the bar I'm just leaving.

Its just ignorant to suggest that most barmen aren't out to make a sly few euro thinking that their customers are drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

28/12/2010 Most barmen in town empty the contents of the trays under the taps into pint glasses near the end of the night and start offloading them on the drunkest customers, then keep their money rather than charge it to the til, they're making a fortune off it. Scum :rolleyes:
    22/11/2011 Yeah I know mate, Also Most barmen in town empty the contents of the trays under the taps into pint glasses near the end of the night and start offloading them on the drunkest customers, then keep their money rather than charge it to the til, they're making a fortune off it. Scum :rolleyes:[/I]

Crikey, are they still doing this? People should know what slops vs a real drink should look like by now. People are more observant in a recession, aren't they ?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Remmy wrote: »
    I gave a barmen twenty euro for two pints of guiness once and got back the twenty and some change.He probablly thought I gave him a tenner or something.:D
    Degag wrote: »
    How would that work exactly?
    Fishyfreak wrote: »
    Must have been in Oppositeland.

His real name is Kevin Cardiff.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭JaneLane

I was at Electric Picnic a couple of years ago and was at the Southern Comfort bar. I was after ordering a double with mixer, handed in 20 euro and got back 45! It was great because it was the last day and that was the last of my money. Didn't mind taking it from them because they made an absolute fortune that weekend!

However the same thing happened at my local newsagents, I was paying for something that came to €4.50, handed in a fiver and got change back from 50! I didn't notice immediately but when I was outside and looked at the change, I walked back in and told the girl. She was delighted because apparently it wasn't her first time doing it and if it had happened again, she would have gotten fired! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Plazaman wrote: »
    Crikey, are they still doing this? People should know what slops vs a real drink should look like by now. People are more observant in a recession, aren't they ?????

No, it's b0ll0x. No barman could get away with it. those slop trays a pain to empty into a sink let alone into a glass, behind a bar, full of customers looking at you......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭theT

Yeah I know mate, Also Most barmen in town empty the contents of the trays under the taps into pint glasses near the end of the night and start offloading them on the drunkest customers, then keep their money rather than charge it to the til, they're making a fortune off it. Scum :rolleyes:

Its not just in town that this happens, I worked in quite a few bars in town and the suburbs were we were told to do this but the money all went in the till....

Pints of Kilkenny were the worst,you could put absolutely anything into that muck and get away with it....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

theT wrote: »
    Its not just in town that this happens, I worked in quite a few bars in town and the suburbs were we were told to do this but the money all went in the till....

Pints of Kilkenny were the worst,you could put absolutely anything into that muck and get away with it....

The slops taste nicer than Kilkenny, so it's a win-win.

Advertisement