Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trash talking

• 27-12-2010 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

I just want to gauge opinion on "trash talking" I was on the page of a promotion coming up in 2011 and was looking at announced fights and related comments and came across a bit of trash talk between two fighters on the card as I read through the comments it turned into a quite heated arguement and team mates of both fighters got involved and it became more about fighter bashing. I personally do not like trash talk but I jus want to see what

1) Coaches: Do you mind if your fighters engage in "trash talk" or do use warn against it

2) Fighters: Have you/would you engage in "trash talk" or leave it to your skills to do the talking (cheesy sentence I know)

3) Fans: Do you like to see/hear "trash talking" between fighters, does it build anticapation/excitement for the fight

4) Promoters: would you allow fighters on your shows to "trash talk" about thir oponents

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Mrs Lynch

....Fans: Do you like to see/hear "trash talking" between fighters, does it build anticapation/excitement for the fight

Its a fine line imo;) Yes internationally its good craic but sometimes at local level it can be dangerous!

At the end of the day we are a small community and still relatively in its infancy here. I mean I would cringe big time of the likes of Cathal and Liam were to publically slate each other. Yeah bit of banter but nothing too personal:(

We had an incident few years back wer two fighters went too far, it ended up "over-flow" and could have caused not only feud between clubs but end to a excellent promotion. Fighters both received punishment in that one was thrown out of his club and the other suspended. In my opinion both fighters would have had prospects in the sport and the one suspended came back and had to earn respect from peers and fans alike.

Urs
    x

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IFS.NI

I personally hate trash talking - for major events like the UFC it holds its place to build the fight but at lower levels it can lead to crowd trouble which no one wants to see.

I just like a true sportsman attitude - its alot classier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

Only high level fighters can get away with trash talking, otherwise you could just turn around and say "Oh yeah, well you're crap! what have you ever done?" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭mmmm...not sure

I agree totally with you ursula the fighters that your talking about proved nothing good comes of "trash talking" at local level and they have both learned that the hard way unfortunately with one not being allowed to fight again and the other in my opinion hasn't been the same fighter since and not reached the potential he once had.

I agree totally with you ursula the fighters that your talking about proved nothing good comes of "trash talking" at local level and they have both learned that the hard way unfortunately with one not being allowed to fight again and the other in my opinion hasn't been the same fighter since and not reached the potential he once had.

Thanks mmmmm...not sure wot your name is lol:D (my jokes rock:o)

Yeah your right in that fighter in question hasnt been the same I think he burnt a few bridges but I have definately sense a leap in maturity from this person and really hope he can stay focused and reach his potential;)

Urs
    x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭mmmm...not sure

Wel ursula if your jokes are anything to go by your trash talk would be terrible.....I'm only joking lol

Wel ursula if your jokes are anything to go by your trash talk would be terrible.....I'm only joking lol

hehe.......It woz good:o

Urs
    x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭sonic85

IFS.NI wrote: »
    I personally hate trash talking - for major events like the UFC it holds its place to build the fight but at lower levels it can lead to crowd trouble which no one wants to see.

I just like a true sportsman attitude - its alot classier.

yeah id be thinking along those lines also. id go a step further and say i dont like trash talking in the big organisations either. most of it i find isnt really entertaining its just cringeworthy. in the end its a sport - just go in and test your skills against your opponent there shouldnt really be a need for anything else. just my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭kid chaos

2) Fighters: Have you/would you engage in "trash talk" or leave it to your skills to do the talking (cheesy sentence I know)
    As a fighter i think trash talking has alot of positives and negatives, i dont mind it but it is dangerous on a local level.

Trash talking a guy and making him wanting to beat you so bad can make him over train, train through injuries and not be 100%, especially when if your in the big leagues the W is whats important.

I think Dan Hardy got his title shot because of his trash talking.

Josh Koscheck got his place on TUF (i think) because of his trash talking and personality.
    It deffinatly goes along way to have a personality may it be like GSP's or Josh Koshchecks, be loved or loved to be hated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

If I wanted to hear trash-talking, I'd watch WWF (or whatever it's called these days). No place for it in the real thing IMO.

• Advertisement

kid chaos wrote: »
    ........Josh Koscheck got his place on TUF (i think) because of his trash talking and personality.
    It deffinatly goes along way to have a personality may it be like GSP's or Josh Koshchecks, be loved or loved to be hated.

A certain local fighter had got through to the latter stages of TUF and the verdict from the production team was that he was just too "nice". He had the ability and looked the part but just no "cheeky attidude".

kid chaos wrote: »
    .........I think Dan Hardy got his title shot because of his trash talking.

Agree here he talked the talk and was the opportunity to expose the "english" market at the same time;)

Urs
    x

p.s. Joseph why arent you in bed at that hour :-( lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

Like Kid Chaos pointed out i think trash talk has it's good and it's bad points.

I think on a local level alot of it boils down to the level of personal insults. I personally don't like to see the "he's a *****er, Im gonna stop him breathing" type of stuff. But if its the "If he thinks he is gonna take my title in front of my fans he is dreaming" level I've no problem with it.

As a promoter I can be as guilty as the next when it comes to hyping fights, but thats my job. Just as it is a fighters job to fight and a coaches job to coach. I think it is a case of making a judgement of where the line is and not crossing it.

For the most part the fighters I have dealt with have been happy to give quotes and opinions about the guy they are fighting and they are all aware that as a promoter i will use these quote to fill arenas and get TV ratings. I think a bit of this type of hype in mainstream media can often draw non MMA followers to events, yes most of them will be coming to see "Cage Fighting" but when we get them to the arenas it is then our job to show them it's MMA and educate them about all the good things about the sport.

My personal opinion is that the sport is now becoming as much about entertainment and a good night out as anything else (as with most mainstream sports). It is vital that match up quality stays high as it is the basis and foundation of any successful event but a bit of spice from the fighters in the build up and good entertainment at the event will keep people getting of their sofas and coming back to local events!

just my 2 cents worth :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I've never took part in trash talking in the build up to a fight and am not a fan of it-it takes 2 to do it so it's easy to stop!

Also fighters getting wound up by it are foolish! It makes me laugh to be honest-also o would discourage my fighters from doing it unless they where getting paid big bucks to hype an event etc..

At the end of the day though if it's genuine then that's just the way it is, I don't hate anyone or even dislike that I could fight so don't care for it, do your stuff in the cage if you have a point to prove

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Advertisement