Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SKY problem - TV Guide OK but "no satellite signal???

• 27-12-2010 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

Here's a strange one - have not used my SKY box for a good while.

Tried it today, got "No satellite signal being receIved " with #29 / #36 after it. :confused::confused:

Googled the problem, tried all the solution - software update, lnb reset etc - nothing worked. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Then I realised - the date & time are displaying correctly, the TV Guide is showing me what current programs should be on, all correct, including RTE etc - but I'm still getting "no satellite signal"! :eek: :eek:

HOW CAN I BE GETTING NO SIGNAL IF THE TV GUIDE IS UP TO DATE? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Now I'm really confued.

Any help anyone? Please!

PS just checked - I can get channel "970 - SKY Intro" - no problem - but I'd REALLY like all the other channels back as well! ;);)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭marrm

marrm wrote: »
    Here's a strange one - have not used my SKY box for a good while.

Tried it today, got "No satellite signal being received " with #29 / #36 after it. :confused::confused:

Googled the problem, tried all the solution - software update, lnb reset etc - nothing worked. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Then I realised - the date & time are displaying correctly, the TV Guide is showing me what current programs should be on, all correct, including RTE etc - but I'm still getting "no satellite signal"! :eek: :eek:

HOW CAN I BE GETTING NO SIGNAL IF THE TV GUIDE IS UP TO DATE? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Now I'm really confued.

Any help anyone? Please!

PS just checked - I can get channel "970 - SKY Intro" - no problem - but I'd REALLY like all the other channels back as well! ;);)

Lots of readers, but no answers! Is the question too easy, or too difficult?

Cannot find a solution to "Tv guide works but no satellite reception" anywhere on the net!

I cannot figure it out and would be grateful for some help, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭jonnygee

Only time i see this is on sky plus box with only one lnb connection used where sky plus box has switched to second lnb input because of record setting.

jonnygee wrote: »
    Only time i see this is on sky plus box with only one lnb connection used where sky plus box has switched to second lnb input because of record setting.

only 1 lnb on my thomson 122.051 version 4E0903 running OS version 1.2S4FM EPG version 3.8.8 STB. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

Could be a number of causes, but likely that there is a very high BER (bit error rate).
    If this is high on the default transponder, you will get the' no signal' message.
    Time base not critical on EPG info, so like a slow internet connection, it all gets there and displays eventually.
    Usual suspects, dish alingment, cable and connections, faulty LNB, faulty box .
    In other words any part of your system could be down.
    If you don't want call in a Pro to check it out, try substituting your box with a friend or neighbours to establish if problem lies with box, or dish/cable.

Rippy wrote: »
    Could be a number of causes, but likely that there is a very high BER (bit error rate).
    If this is high on the default transponder, you will get the' no signal' message.
    Time base not critical on EPG info, so like a slow internet connection, it all gets there and displays eventually.
    Usual suspects, dish alingment, cable and connections, faulty LNB, faulty box .
    In other words any part of your system could be down.
    If you don't want call in a Pro to check it out, try substituting your box with a friend or neighbours to establish if problem lies with box, or dish/cable.

thanks for that. I have attached another STB, works fine for all ASTRA 28.2 channels except Channel 4 which is known to be marginal.

Maybe this STB is more powerful (sensitive) than the SKY box.

But I have done some more research - I have managed to tune in a few stations using "manual tuning" on the SKY box - all on vertical polarisation. They come in loud & clear, no pixellation. Only works on some 22.000 V transponders though, other 22.000 V transponder give no result.

Mysterious. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Faulty cable or LNB maybe.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Sounds like a faulty power supply in the receiver . You could get it repaired or replace the box . Same happened mine .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

Same problem with mine for the last few weeks. Phoned Sky and they said it was because of the weather. I switched off/on a few times and it was okay, but have to do that every day. Phoned Sky back and they said they'd have to send someone out - cost €100!
    Managed to get the guy who installed it to call out (for a lot less than €100) and he tested the signal which is okay so it's a box problem.
    Now I'm wondering if anyone has recently upgraded to + or HD and wants rid of their old (standard) box? ;)

Advertisement