Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found out I am pregnant...what now?

• 27-12-2010 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

What does one do after the Positive pregnancy test?
    We never thought futher than this.
    I am taking pregnancy vitimins. I have health insurance. Do I need to inform someone?
    I think I'm still in shock:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Congratulations!

You need to head to your GP and he/she will be able to give you all the information regarding public/semi-private or private health care during pregnancy. You can also fill in the combined care form there (alternate visits to hospital and GP).

He may confirm the test with a test of his own or just take your word for it. Be aware that the doctors tests can be a lot less sensitive than the home tester kits, so if you are very early pregnant it still may show up negative (happened to me!).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

if you are gonig semi private or private book your consultant straight away,they have a tendency to tell you that you left it late no matter how early you book!

Congrats:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Moyi

Congratulations!! You have loads of options as to where you want to give birth so my advice would be to get yourself as informed as possible before you make any decisions..make sure you are taking folic acid and doctor will probably advise iron tablets..congrats again!!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Congrats Jinxi! I'd say with regards to ante-natal care I wouldn't recommend combined care with your gp unless it is more convenient than going to your hospital. You're supposed to see your gp every visit but my gp employs a midwife who I see. If for any reason I need to speak to my gp then I have to wait. For me, the hospital visits are far quicker and more convenient so there's no advantage to combined care. At the beginning the gp pretty
    much signed me up and convinced me it was a great scheme because I'd see her every second visit. I'm 34 weeks and I've seen her once at 12 weeks.

I've spoken to other women and they had the same experience.

If I were pregnant again I'd stick to my hospital for all visits or join a domino scheme if I could but I wouldn't sign up to gp care that you don't get in the end.

Congrats Jinxi! I'd say with regards to ante-natal care I wouldn't recommend combined care with your gp unless it is more convenient than going to your hospital. You're supposed to see your gp every visit but my gp employs a midwife who I see. If for any reason I need to speak to my gp then I have to wait. For me, the hospital visits are far quicker and more convenient so there's no advantage to combined care. At the beginning the gp pretty
    much signed me up and convinced me it was a great scheme because I'd see her every second visit. I'm 34 weeks and I've seen her once at 12 weeks.

I've spoken to other women and they had the same experience.

If I were pregnant again I'd stick to my hospital for all visits or join a domino scheme if I could but I wouldn't sign up to gp care that you don't get in the end.

To be honest, I have to agree with How Strange, I signed up for combined care totally forgetting that where I work is nearly an hour and a half away from the GP on the bus and he doesn't open his surgery till noon and no late night surgery, so just spoke to the midwife in the Rotunda and arranged for all visits to be at the hospital. Strolled over and back from work on South William Street at each visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

I hope your married.

jugger0 infracted for trolling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Can hold my hand up here for the combined care, have used it on all three of my pgs and, even tho my 1st gp had a similar scheme as how strange, it really worked for me. no long waits in overcrowded hospitals and no students poking around.
    I was combined midwife clinic and gp on 1st and this pg and that is all the care most women need, IME the less time you spend with consultants and the more with midwifes the easier your pg and labor will be. You can always request a consultant visit if you think you need one or a gp visit and they are obliged to give you one under the scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

Whoa, never even heard of combined care.
    I live in KK but I had looked into where I would like to give birth. Not keen on the local hospital. I hear that there is a domino scheme in waterford that I would love to get on. Its about 45 mins from work. Would that be too far. IS combined care where I can go to gp for small check ups and the hospital for more indepth ones.
    Tbh, I don't even know how to pick a gp. I can't ask anyone because I don't want them to know until I am in my 2nd trimester?

Yep that's combined care. The HSE pay your gp to provide you witha certain level of ante natal care ie check urine and blood pressure. In theory it's great and if gp's provided the care themselves it'd be ideal. If it's more convenient for you to attend your gp then go for it but perhaps ask your gp out straight when he/she is encouraging you to sign up if you're seeing them or a midwife.

I've heard great things about the domino schemes and I've loads of praise for midwives even over consultants.

My logic for signing up to combined care was that the gp would know me and my baby later on but that's not the case at all.

I found that making your hospital appointments for first thing in the morning ie 8.30 is great because you can go early and be the first in the eueue and be in and out in 30-45mins.
    I generally have to wait about that long
    when I go to the gp anyway as they always overbook.

Bottom line, just do whatever is most convenient for you.

• Advertisement

Btw, with regards to travel time for hospital visits; your employer has to give you paid time off to attend your appointments and that includes travel time. It usually took me 1.5-2hrs but I always got early morning apps.

Just another few questions. I went to GP. She took a few notes on family history, checked my weight and blood and urine. But she said that I don't need to pick hospital or whether I am going private/public until next month or even the month after? Also she was discouraging about picking WRH because Lukes in KK is closer(by about 30 mins).
    I also wnatedt to get on the Domino Midwifery Clinic in Waterford, but they are hesitant as I live nearer KK. A bit annoyed!!!
    Anyway, I am miffed why there is so little care in the first few months. Aren't there vaccinations I should be getting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

If I were you I would register with your chosen hospital now and they will give you a date for your first visit..........dont wait. I booked with my hospital when I was just 5 weeks and was given my first appointment date. Also it's good if you have already registered with somewhere in case you need them in an emergency over next few weeks. I had to go into my hospital at 7 wks due to bleeding, turned out to be ok but I was glad that they already had me on their records as I had registered with them already.

Jinxi, as Winnie said, book your hospital asap. The hospitals are under huge strain at the moment especially if you want to go semi private or private. If you really want KK hospital then go for it but bear in mind that in 8ish months time you'll be in a rush to get to hospital so make sure the journey isn't too long especially at peak times.

There really is nothing else your doctor can do at this early stage. I know it's your pregnancy and to you it's a huge event in your life but to the medical community you're just pregnant. You don't need vaccinations or anything else. Ante-natal care doesn't start until 12weeks+ depending in your hospital. Just eat as well as possible, rest and look after yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Jinxi wrote: »
    Just another few questions. I went to GP. She took a few notes on family history, checked my weight and blood and urine. But she said that I don't need to pick hospital or whether I am going private/public until next month or even the month after? Also she was discouraging about picking WRH because Lukes in KK is closer(by about 30 mins).
    I also wnatedt to get on the Domino Midwifery Clinic in Waterford, but they are hesitant as I live nearer KK. A bit annoyed!!!
    Anyway, I am miffed why there is so little care in the first few months. Aren't there vaccinations I should be getting?

It seems awfully insensitive but when I went to the GP (at 6 weeks) she told me that we shouldn't get too excited because 1 in 5 pregnancies end (in miscarriage) before they reach 12 weeks. Not what you want to hear if you've been waiting, or trying, for years to start a family, but there it is.

Aside from a dating scan there is really nothing that can be done (medically) in the early months of pregnancy. You need to keep calm, rest as much as you can, eat healthily and look after yourself and the growing foetus.

Maybe the situation in KK is different, but in Dublin there is no way you could afford to wait that long to make a choice about the type of care you want, not if you wanted to HAVE a choice. My sister had both her babies in Kilkenny, although she would have preferred either home birth or one of the Dublin hospitals. Sadly, in many areas of the country you don't have a choice.

I know it isn't easy, but the one thing you really need to avoid doing at this point is worrying or being stressed.

I think that if you want to get on to the Domino Midwife clinic in Waterford you should do it,its not anybodys choice but your own??(well of course your partner has a say)I dont think its right that doctors sway people into making decisions they feel are the correct ones..make sure you know what it is you want to do and go with that decision provided you have positive info about it etc..
    I didnt get any vaccines with my little fella last year and didnt see a needle for blood tests etc until around 12 weeks..its because thats the safety mark i suppose and they are too little before that so they cant check for heartbeat or give you tests incase it affects baby when he/she that small..hope that info helped you!!:)

Squiggler wrote: »
    It seems awfully insensitive but when I went to the GP (at 6 weeks) she told me that we shouldn't get too excited because 1 in 5 pregnancies end (in miscarriage) before they reach 12 weeks. Not what you want to hear if you've been waiting, or trying, for years to start a family, but there it is.

Aside from a dating scan there is really nothing that can be done (medically) in the early months of pregnancy. You need to keep calm, rest as much as you can, eat healthily and look after yourself and the growing foetus.

Maybe the situation in KK is different, but in Dublin there is no way you could afford to wait that long to make a choice about the type of care you want, not if you wanted to HAVE a choice. My sister had both her babies in Kilkenny, although she would have preferred either home birth or one of the Dublin hospitals. Sadly, in many areas of the country you don't have a choice.

I know it isn't easy, but the one thing you really need to avoid doing at this point is worrying or being stressed.

Just in regards to what you said about not having a choice because of where some women are giving birth in Ireland...its actually ridiculous isnt it?
    I mean its our bodies,our babies,why isnt it our choice?It just doesnt make sense..A woman living in Co. Kerry should, if she wants to,be entitled to give birth in fecking Co. Derry shouldnt she? like what is it to them where she gives birth?
    Sorry not giving out to you obviously it just that topic makes me quite cross in regards to Pregnant womens rights..Its not fair and i think this country needs a serious make-over when it comes to the pre-natal care of its pregant women..the choices that are there such as homebirth,midwife clinics or hospitals should become more viable and accessible to everybody with information available publicly on every aspect of this major important event in life..when i first found out i was pregnant with my son,all i knew was that i had to go to doctors..then go hospital when they sent letters with appointments for ante-natal check-ups..i didnt even know that there were other options outside of that conveyor belt system!!!:(

Moyi wrote: »
    Just in regards to what you said about not having a choice because of where some women are giving birth in Ireland...its actually ridiculous isnt it?
    I mean its our bodies,our babies,why isnt it our choice?It just doesnt make sense..A woman living in Co. Kerry should, if she wants to,be entitled to give birth in fecking Co. Derry shouldnt she? like what is it to them where she gives birth?
    Sorry not giving out to you obviously it just that topic makes me quite cross in regards to Pregnant womens rights..Its not fair and i think this country needs a serious make-over when it comes to the pre-natal care of its pregant women..the choices that are there such as homebirth,midwife clinics or hospitals should become more viable and accessible to everybody with information available publicly on every aspect of this major important event in life..when i first found out i was pregnant with my son,all i knew was that i had to go to doctors..then go hospital when they sent letters with appointments for ante-natal check-ups..i didnt even know that there were other options outside of that conveyor belt system!!!:(

I completely agree with you, and, what is more disturbing is that it is getting worse, not better. My parents were able to arrange to have their third and fourth children at home in County Carlow. Now that would be impossible, even if you were willing to pay all the costs yourself.

The lack of information about the options is pretty appalling. When I went to the NMH to have my blood tests done and get a file opened there (just in case something goes wrong) I found it surprising that the midwife wasn't even aware that homebirth was an option! She kept asking me questions about how it worked etc.

In almost all other developed countries support for homebirths is one the rise.

ETA: Saw in another thread that you've engaged a midwife :) Hope everything will go well and you can have your planned home birth. All going well here so ours is still on the cards for around the end of March. Having all the antenatal visits in your own home is such a convenience, and removes so much of the stress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Does anyone know if you can go private with your consultant & public with your hospital ?

TBH found HS the exact same pub v private but the consultant made all the difference .

Tks xx

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

no, but you could easily go private and end up in a public ward though or go private and request not to be in a private room.

• Advertisement

So I rang the Domino Scheme myself and they said No. I am hugely dissappointed. She said if they gave me a place then they would have to refuse a local girl. SO? I got there first(I like using pregnancy to be unreasonable:D).
    But I am determined to got to WRH. I haveheard that the intervention during labour stats are very high in Lukes in KK. And that matches with some of the stories I hear. Half an hour is not a long drive at all!!!
    If I have to argue wih the dooctor I will.
    Tahnks for your replies.
    Also I hears that there is no real difference in private vs public except for seeing the same gyn/obs for the pregnancy. Even then your not guarenteed to have them for your birth.

Jinxi, sorry to hear you couldn't get on the Domino scheme. There's one in my area but I'm literally 200m too far down the road to join it as it doesn't cover my post code.

Re private v public, imo the public system is great if you've got an uncomplicated, healthy pregnancy. If I had a pre-existing medical condition or conceived by ivf then I might be more inclined to choose private for the reassurance of seeing the same consultant all the time. Luckily, my pregnancy has been straightforward (touch wood!), I'm public by choice and I can't sing its praises highly enough. I'm over 35 so I see a consultant for each hospital visit, every second time I see the consultant and other times I see whatever doctor is rostered to help the consultant.

totally true i think anyway in regards to the the public/private..if you go private then you may not even be guaranteed a private bed at the end when you give birth and VHI dont cover your private consultant fees(well they didnt when i was pregant with my last baby)so its the same really exept with public you know for sure what your gonna get as opposed to private where everything depends on numbers in the hospital etc..i would keep trying for that domino midwife clinic,someone may drop out and maybe you could be on a waiting list?pregnancy is great for acting a bit more cantankerous than usual!!!
    Squiggler wrote: »
    I completely agree with you, and, what is more disturbing is that it is getting worse, not better. My parents were able to arrange to have their third and fourth children at home in County Carlow. Now that would be impossible, even if you were willing to pay all the costs yourself.

The lack of information about the options is pretty appalling. When I went to the NMH to have my blood tests done and get a file opened there (just in case something goes wrong) I found it surprising that the midwife wasn't even aware that homebirth was an option! She kept asking me questions about how it worked etc.

In almost all other developed countries support for homebirths is one the rise.

ETA: Saw in another thread that you've engaged a midwife :) Hope everything will go well and you can have your planned home birth. All going well here so ours is still on the cards for around the end of March. Having all the antenatal visits in your own home is such a convenience, and removes so much of the stress.

Well its good to know other people are annoyed by this system,sometimes i feel like im the only one as all my friends and family couldnt believe that i was able to get a homebirth as they didnt think the possibility existed!! funny really its something women have been doing since dawn of time and im pretty sure hospitals were not always involved!!
    great that you are having homebirth in march,hope it all goes well for you,have you had one before?:)

Moyi wrote: »
    great that you are having homebirth in march,hope it all goes well for you,have you had one before?:)

Thanks. This is our first baby, so my first pregnancy. But I was present at my youngest brother's birth when I was 7. It was an amazing experience. Seeing Mum going through so much pain but looking so happy about it at the same time and knowing that this was what was involved in bringing a baby into the world. And when it was all over, and the midwife had left, we were all together as a family, no set visiting hours or bossy nurses :)

Advertisement