Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Rock & Metal Venue Discussion

Comments

Just wondering, is this embargo covering 'Ol Man Fibbers on the Quays? They're still doing live music, aren't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Just wondering, is this embargo covering 'Ol Man Fibbers on the Quays? They're still doing live music, aren't they?

Nope, different management, seperate entity. They don't really have anything to do with each other apart from the same people own the buildings.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Max Power1 wrote: »

Going to bump this (for those who havent already heard), Old fibbers will not be playing gigs upstairs anymore, and have lost their late licence.

They lost their late licence for a week due to apparent complaints about noise levels - I think they should have it back by now but I haven't heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

jenizzle wrote: »
    They lost their late licence for a week due to apparent complaints about noise levels - I think they should have it back by now but I haven't heard.

Apparently (they advertised it on facebook) the late license is back from tonight.

Still no gigs though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Great DJ there on a Thur nite................cheap booze too!!

• Advertisement

frag420 wrote: »
    Great DJ there on a Thur nite................cheap booze too!!
    Do you mean old fibbers or fibbers on the quays?

The fibbers on the quays is infinitly better on a thursday (well, always), but because it closes usually at 12 i dont go as much as I used to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Old post, but the new Fibbers is still lively as ever, it's never too packed but always a good crowd in.
    And great music :)

Well all things considered, including the new decor, maybe they are up to something at old fibbers.

I don't get certain things.
    I don't get why the pool table's out in old man fibbers on a saturday. There should be room for dancing.
    I don't get why the musics so low.
    I don't get why they're playing so much Bon jovi.
    I feel like I'm still that awkward inbetween age! And i'm 31!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

If they're playing too much Bon Jovi (Never noticed that tbh) then just put 2 euro in the jukebox and put on something else, or talk to the DJ if he's around ?

I had a few people asking of the pooltable could be moved aside and they did it.

ALL DRINKS e3.50 ALL NIGHT!

www.facebook.com/ThursdayNightRocks

RockThursday3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I'd be more likely to go to that than chance being stuck in the middle of a UV glow party :rolleyes: :p

Ended up in Gypsy Rose.

That was a quality (albeit messy) night

:D

Great bar. Had a great time in there, and the music was great. Been ages since I heard Fear Factory out in public

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Went into Fibbers on Sat night for the first time in months, WTF has happened!!!

Went downstairs at 9, paid a fiver and all drinks were 2.50, shame i was nearly trollied when i went down there, didn't utilise the 2.50 pints as much as i should have.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Was there on Friday and same, which was a pleasant surprise, 'cause going on on a Thursday doesn't suit with work.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

scudzilla wrote: »
    Went into Fibbers on Sat night for the first time in months, WTF has happened!!!

Went downstairs at 9, paid a fiver and all drinks were 2.50, shame i was nearly trollied when i went down there, didn't utilise the 2.50 pints as much as i should have.
    WTF has happened - indeed!
    In a nutshell they are changing their target audience and it seems to be attracting more scumbags.

IMO.

I'll be staying in fibbers2, the gypsy, or Brux. TYVM.

My opinion is that there are just too many Rock bars in Dublin now. 5 years ago you had 2 bars; Fibbers & Brux. You went to Fibbers if you were 18 and into your Kerrang! pandering music or you went to Brux for your older crowd and more obscure Metal.

Now you have 5 to choose from on a Saturday night and none of them play anything particularly heavy or left-of-center as the respective managemnet don't want to alienate the mainstream customers as they are all competing for the same crowd at the same time.

Was in Brux on Sat night and the place was empty. A few years ago you'd be refused after a certain time as it was too packed to accommodate more patrons. I mean the place is the size of a large mansion bathroom yet it's still empty on a Sat night.

Fibbers Ormond Quay is by far the most accommodating of the Rock establishments. They have sound staff, cheap booze and the Rock/Metal is always eclectic. It's never the same style all night and the crowd are generally friendly and just genuine people into their Rock/Metal.

As for Fibbers Parnel St., they appear to be just pandering to the average Joe, who's not a Rocker but doesn't want to listen to Dance/HipHop in a traditional mainstream club so they go there or to Gypsy or Club Hell where they'll be fed inoffensive mainstream music. Also they have dancefloors which chicks seem to love for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Has anyone been to Gypsy Rose yet?

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Has anyone been to Gypsy Rose yet?
    Yes, a few times now.

Its ok, i prefer Fibbers2 though. Gypsy Rose tends to be full of more "poser" types.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭ThunderZtorm

Maybe I'm just a simple man from a small Danish town, but the mere fact that there are actual rock/metals bars to choose from is enough for me. If I can go to a bar and expect Metallica, Maiden etc to be played, I'm happy :P

I've been to both the foam parties at old Fibbers, and I had a great time. Sure, might not be the metal crowd, but I just had fun and got drunk with my Finnish mates even tho the music went a bit too much into singalong poprock in the end :)

I don't generally care much who the other people are as I never really go alone to bars.

Been to Gypsy Rose a few times, the two zombie walk afterparties, good fun, good music, good large area and a good bar - what more can you ask? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭LaBaguette

The only reason why I'd step in the old Fibbers is for some afterwork pints in the beergarden on a sunny day, or for the odd gig (Vile Regression a few months ago).

The new Fibbers would be my favorite metal place as of now : friendly staff, mostly friendly punters, €4 pints, better music (as in more diverse), and it's far enough from the busy part of Dublin not to be overcrowded - I like to exchange whole sentences with friends when I'm in a pub.

The Gypsy is a decent place. I would not label it "metal" though, even if there's some heavy stuff played on the jukebox once in a while. I like it nonetheless, that's one of the places where I bring my non-metal friends. Or sometimes if I'm in the mood for blues I'll just stay upstairs for the acoustic stuff.

• Advertisement

Gypsy is a kip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Gypsy is a kip.

Care to elaborate on that?

Anytime I have been there the place has stank and the toilets were in a horrible state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭RayCon

Last time I was in Gypsy Rose it was all drinks €4 and a good juke box ... I was happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭MaidenSlayer

I want to go out for my birthday for cheap drinks and a laugh with my mates, as you do. So out of the few rock/metal bars in Dublin which would be the best as I have only been to Fibbers a few times and the last time was nearly a year ago and from this forum it has gone to the dogs. Cheers.

I want to go out for my birthday for cheap drinks and a laugh with my mates, as you do. So out of the few rock/metal bars in Dublin which would be the best as I have only been to Fibbers a few times and the last time was nearly a year ago and from this forum it has gone to the dogs. Cheers.

When were you planning on going out?

You can check the reletive Facebook pages of said bars to see what they're doing on that particular night that might suit your celebrations the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭MaidenSlayer

Passenger wrote: »
    You can check the reletive Facebook pages of said bars to see what they're doing on that particular night that might suit your celebrations the best.

Never crossed my mind cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Gypsy is a kip.

OUT! :mad:

Ah no, Gypsy's is great <3

Been to Club Hell alot since it opened and I have to say that I like it.
    I missed the one year party, did anyone else get to it?

Catalyst sounds great I must say. Must get out to it soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

Yeah, it's a laugh! I'm glad they moved it to the Academy though, the other place was very small. I'm going to try and get to one next month when I'm back from hols.

Advertisement