Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Hz for games @32"/40"?

• 27-12-2010 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

There are a few offers around on big screen tellies, and I'm thinking of getting one.
    A primary function would be to play games. What Hz should I look for to avoid noticeable ghosting and so on? At 32"? 40"? Would 60Hz be enough for a 32" screen. I did notice flickering on crt monitors running at 60Hz, which bugged me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Does anyone have a Sony Bravia Bx300, and use it for games? Are they happy with it, or is there a distracting level of ghosting?

I think I'd be happy with the 720 resolution because I would play most games at a similar resolution anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Note that Bravia does 1080p over HDMI. Don't buy that TV and waste it by using VGA @720p.

I use a Sanyo 32 incher @ 1900x1080, progressive scan, at 60hz. I don't notice any ghosting whatsoever. I do, however, see a lot of screen tearing unless I enable VSync. But of course, thats pretty much down to my graphics cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,295 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ghosting was an old problem, experienced in first generation LCD displays. The problem was corrected by the TFT (thin Film Transistor) Layer now present on virtually all flat panel monitors. The even newer generation of LCDs are backlit by LED arrays, not by fluorescent bar with diffusion layer.

Its all rather lovely.

Basically there isn't a whole smack of difference between monitors, makes and models. At least not when it comes to the Panel itself: they're all pretty homogeneous and only seem to come out of a small number of mega-factories from Asia. They begin to differ when you look at features, like contrast/brightness presets (theatre mode, etc) And an adjustable stand, built-in speakers (For TVs this is a whole other area for comparison), HDCP readiness, TV input(s), look/style etc. - the response time measured in mere milliseconds and the TFT layer have made ghosting and flickering now non-existent, especially when connected to a digital source, like DVI or HDMI. VGA's analog signal can sometimes show up as scanbars/flickering in LCD displays.

I wouldnt worry about the refresh rate. 60hz is normal. 50hz is fine. There isn't a lot of difference between the two. I'd get a newer LED screen (LED Backlit - will last longer, look brighter and sharper) and try and confine your resolution (at least when gaming) to 1920x1080 (1080p) at the very most. anything more and you'd want a high-powered Enthusiast GPU setup to handle the framerate. It's fine if the TV you buy supports higher, but I would game on a lower setting is all. On my 42" in the living room im comfortable with hooking up the laptop and playing at 1200x800 without a noticeable drop in quality for most titles.

edit: and yes "Tearing" - is a Vertical Sync issue, and can be enabled by the game itself. You'll notice this problem sometimes when you spin your viewpoint/camera around. It can be very distracting.

I noticed irritating ghosting on 100Hz LCD screens showing a rugby match in the shop.

I got a 100Hz Panasonic Plasma, which is great :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,295 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

pwd wrote: »
    I noticed irritating ghosting on 100Hz LCD screens showing a rugby match in the shop.

I got a 100Hz Panasonic Plasma, which is great :)
    strange, id have thought there wouldnt be any ghosting at this point. perhaps on televisions and especially if it wasnt progressive scan. Plasma now, my only experience with a fairly older plasma was it didn't like to play nicely with computer resolutions, or text for that matter. And that was an HD, I hope they've improved.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    strange, id have thought there wouldnt be any ghosting at this point. perhaps on televisions and especially if it wasnt progressive scan. Plasma now, my only experience with a fairly older plasma was it didn't like to play nicely with computer resolutions, or text for that matter. And that was an HD, I hope they've improved.
    The text is a little blurry when I use it as a secondary monitor yeah. Not enough to bother me, but you would notice the difference between that and an LCD.

The resolution is 720, so that's not ideal for general use as a monitor either...You can get higher resolution ones of course. Getting a very high resolution was not a priority for me however: My laptop wouldn't run games so well at very high resolutions, and I dont have a blu-ray player.

And of course the slight risk of burn-in means it's not good to leave a static image on the screen for a very long period of time - so again, not ideal as a general purpose monitor.

You wouldn't use it as a main monitor - but as a secondary monitor I find it fine. It sits my purposes perfectly: I wasn't looking for a general purpose monitor - I was looking for something to watch films and sport and play games on. For these I find it brilliant :). The softer image is not ideal for text as you say, but it is great for games and films etc. Its function as a secondary monitor in general use is just a bonus for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

use 6omhz refresh rate on the pc grahics card, try 1024x768 resolution.
    Read your tv manual,tv input from pc,recommended resolution.
    Most tvs HAVE MAYBE 3 GOOD resolutions,for pc input,otherwise,you,ll get awful flickering,distortion.
    YOU could try using the tv vga port for pc use.too high resolution will damage the tube,my tv manual says 50 or 60 mhz max refresh rate for use on pc signal ,connection.

Advertisement