Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is This Possible to Disassemble & Reassemble

• 27-12-2010 6:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,997 ✭✭✭✭

140953.JPG

Folks I'm wondering if it would be an easy job to disassemble a fireplace such as the above. It's an electric fire that's there so I don't have to worry about a chimney. I had a look at it yesterday and both pillars have one screw attaching them to the main beam at the top but I can't see any screws at the bottom of their base.
    Also the main beam appears to have a screw holding it to the wooden piece below it but there seemingly is no 'point' for the screw. I can't see where I could access it top or bottom.

Would taking the tiles out be a major job and regrouting afterwards?

Would there be a lot of effort to take this apart? Is it even possible, would it cost much for a handyman to do? I ask as my other half dropped something behind it (there is a gap between it the shelf and the wall we never noticed previously) and we would like to retrieve it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

i would imagine the timber frame surround is independent of the tile backing
    usually there would be 2 screws on each side of the timber surround(they may be concealed flush into plaster at the side)
    if you can locate these and unscrew,it should be possible to remove timber surround

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Yeah, as above. There should be two screws one each side of the fire place. Remove them and the timer surround will lift off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,997 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Thanks guys. I checked based upon your advice and I can see that the frame is held in place in at least four places, one top and bottom of each side.

Do you think the bracket would be covered by much plaster and would a small section to uncover the screw be easy enough to remove without tearing lumps of plaster out of the wall? Also what about filling in the holes that I would make. Would something like Polyfilller do the job?

I'm sorry for all the questions, I'm not exactly a handyman and always cautious at the best of times.

yes the brackets will be only an inch or so behind the plaster
    you should be able to remove plaster easily enough(maybe with old screwdriver)
    then patch it up with filler
    shouldnt be too noticable if your careful and paint over patch
    good luck;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

meercat wrote: »
    yes the brackets will be only an inch or so behind the plaster
    you should be able to remove plaster easily enough(maybe with old screwdriver)
    then patch it up with filler
    shouldnt be too noticable if your careful and paint over patch
    good luck;)

As above, but I doub't the screws are anything but just under the surface of the plaster. Chipping with a screwdriver will find them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,997 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I had another thought recently. Would cutting the screw and knocking at either end of the top piece with a wooden mallet loosen the top enough to come off? I presume it's only held in place with glue?

dont think so
    its probably glued and screwed
    still think removing complete surround is best option

Advertisement