Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Irish Times Xmas Quiz of 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 HOOL75

Thanks so much for the help. Best of luck everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 teresamac

:confused: crikey i am going nuts about despicable me or inception- it would appear that both are original- any comments from you movie buffs out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 eihpos

Q.81. Does anyone know who the golfer is? also on Q.25, im entering 3 as my answer, any disagreement on this one? Also Q.62 Who is the former Senator. Think i have the rest of the answers so if you need any help, let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 addda

eihpos wrote: »
    Q.81. Does anyone know who the golfer is? also on Q.25, im entering 3 as my answer, any disagreement on this one? Also Q.62 Who is the former Senator. Think i have the rest of the answers so if you need any help, let me know.

Q.81 is colin montgomerie. Who are people going with the odd one out for Q100? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Grageal1

well done. Must read celebrity trivia more often!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Quintes

Hi all can anyone provide me with question 72? It doesn't appear in the online quiz so I'm beaten before I even start :confused:

Thanks in advance

eihpos wrote: »

I get three for 25 also and 62 is Pearse Doherty.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭carolireland

Does anyone know the answer to no. 99 about Barack O'Bamas word to describe result of midterms? :)

Does anyone know the answer to no. 99 about Barack O'Bamas word to describe result of midterms? :)

I think it's 'humbling'

Thanks Quintes.
    The question for no 72 is Which Irish singers treatment for a severe back injury put his bands tour on hold in May?
    I think the answer is Bono.

• Advertisement

Thanks back at ya carolireland :D

Just wondering did anyone have any further thoughts re no. 57 as to Inception or Despicable Me for the answer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 teresamac

99- 'shellacking'. how about Q 25- I got 2- brian cowen and brian lenihan- mary hanafins father was a senator...

Thanks Teresamac.
    Re question no.25, Mary Coughlans Dad was a former Fianna Fail TD as well. I am not sure if there are others too.

teresamac wrote: »
    99- 'shellacking'. how about Q 25- I got 2- brian cowen and brian lenihan- mary hanafins father was a senator...

Hmm shellacking - carolireland I think I might have given you a bum steer with humbling!

Anyway Mary Coughlan is the third.

Thanks for the help. Have you any thoughts on the film ( no.57) that isn't an adaptation. sequel or remake? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Shellacking

Edit - should have read the rest of the thread before repeating the answer

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Grageal1

Ans 81 Colin Montgomerie.
    In Q 15 - is the answer Trent Reznor or Atticus Ross?
    ?
    Q 67 - were there not 9 deputies and Bruton (et Tu Bruton?!) making 10
    Finally, Q 21 - is Chopper the shared nickname?:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Peninsula08

Can anyone help us with these answers?

Q6: We're unsure as to how it can be the Angelus as RTE TV hasn't been on air 60 years. The Archers on BBC r4 is 60 years old?

Q21: Got 'Chopper' for the nicknames of the motorbikes but only in the generic sense - I think that they actually had personalised nicknames in the film - 'Brett' and 'Rat'. Any ideas???

Q57: Still stuck between Inception and Despicable Me. Any concrete ideas?

Q58: No regrets?

Some of the answers we've gotten which there seems to be some debate on - just throwing ours into the hat.
    Q10: Kate Middleton
    Q26: Kim Jong-Un.
    Q56: Different reasoning to an earlier poster but same answer - Harry Potter as all the other films have been remade at least once.
    Q67: 9 as it's only asking for deputies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Puzzle Lover

Cannot find question 72 - help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 eihpos

Cannot find question 72 - help?

q.72 is which irish singer's treatment for a severe back injury put his band's tour on hold in may?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Crania

Still unsure about question 57, either Inception or Despicable Me. Anyone have any ideas? Do you think, perhaps, Donald Clarke made a mistake with this one as they both appear not to be sequels, remakes or adaptations.

Also number 59, people have said this is 'no regrets'. Anyone have anything else?

Question 65 in relation to hens in the back garden, is this Dermot Ahern?

Anyone know the answer to 78-the British politician on Strictly Come Dancing? I think it's Ann Widdecombe but I'm not sure.

Also for question 100, there has been a few different answers already given for different reasons? People have said Kaczynski because he died in a plane crash, whereas the rest died of natural causes. Could also be Yar'Adua because he had an Islamic funeral with no heads of state present whereas all the others had a state funeral. It could also be Chernomyrdin for two reasons; one, he was acting President for one day whereas the others were elected President. Two, he was the only one to be Prime Minister whereas as the others were all President. Which do people think is the most likely answer? I have to say, this is not a particularly well-researched question considering the amount of possible answers, all of which seem correct.

Thanks for the help guys, I have the rest of the answers so would be happy to exchange answers for these ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 addda

Crania wrote: »
    Still unsure about question 57, either Inception or Despicable Me. Anyone have any ideas? Do you think, perhaps, Donald Clarke made a mistake with this one as they both appear not to be sequels, remakes or adaptations.

Also number 59, people have said this is 'no regrets'. Anyone have anything else?

Question 65 in relation to hens in the back garden, is this Dermot Ahern?

Anyone know the answer to 78-the British politician on Strictly Come Dancing? I think it's Ann Widdecombe but I'm not sure.

Also for question 100, there has been a few different answers already given for different reasons? People have said Kaczynski because he died in a plane crash, whereas the rest died of natural causes. Could also be Yar'Adua because he had an Islamic funeral with no heads of state present whereas all the others had a state funeral. It could also be Chernomyrdin for two reasons; one, he was acting President for one day whereas the others were elected President. Two, he was the only one to be Prime Minister whereas as the others were all President. Which do people think is the most likely answer? I have to say, this is not a particularly well-researched question considering the amount of possible answers, all of which seem correct.

Thanks for the help guys, I have the rest of the answers so would be happy to exchange answers for these ones.

Q65 is Dermot Ahern and 78 is Ann Widdecombe. I'm the same as you for Q100 trying to decide which is the most likely one! Will probably go with Chernomyrdin as it seems to be the most solid out of the possibilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 supersaintpats

67, Is Richard Bruton also one of the "deputies", as this term is normally used to describe any elected member of the Dáil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TheKerryOne

q 57 I am going with inception, I found a link that said is was the only film that it was the only film that was not a sequel etc, on wikipedia despicable me- had books published in May 2010 and the film came out in July

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭marymc

6: The Angelus was first broadcast on 15 August 1950, so it WAS 60 years on the air in 2010, and would make more sense with the people mentioned than The Archers.

57: I'm going with "Inception" too. We keep hearing about how Nolan created it all, but "Despicable Me" could well be some French kids story we never hear about. It's an annoying question though.

59: "Non, je ne regrette rien". Repeatedly played in "Inception". 2007 biopic was about the singer Edith Piaf, famous for that song. In the United Kingdom, the song was at one time associated with the former Conservative Party Chancellor of the Exchequer, Norman Lamont, who quoted the song's title to sum up his political career.

I'm stuck on these few:

63. Which TD is an an avid jam and marmalade maker? {edit} Found it out myself. It's Richard Bruton.
    64. Which TD is a judge in international karaoke competitions? {edit} Reading the full article above (click Richard Bruton), it also says that Kathleen Lynch is jetting off to Moscow to judge a karaoke competition. :P
    76. In televisual terms who is the odd one out? Gwyneth Paltrow, Olivia Newton John and Kelly Osbourne? {edit} Feeling silly now, but at least I have the dignity of not having watched this show. It's Kelly Osbourne. She wasn't on "Glee" last year.

Any help appreciated! I never assumed TD's would have had time for making jam or judging international karaoke competitions last year! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I think Q 57 is a typo. On another website I've found,
    "Inception" is the only film in the top 10 that isn't animated, a sequel or a remake.

So replace adaption with animated, and there's the answer, possibly.

joanmul wrote: »
    Hi guys. 67. 9 FG deputies showed their hands in the plan to remove EK. How many of them were in the Green Isle? I can't find that one.
    Macros42 wrote: »
    67. All 9 of them.

9 front-benchers showed their hand, but only 7 of them were physically present in the hotel. Add on Richard Bruton and I get 8 deputies present. Can anyone confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 MickyD

Hi

can you please help with question 68

68. Two members of the so-called gang of four which moved against Charles Haughey in 1991 announced this month that they are retiring from politics. Name them.

one is noel dempsey the other is ?

• Advertisement

MickyD wrote: »
    Hi

can you please help with question 68

68. Two members of the so-called gang of four which moved against Charles Haughey in 1991 announced this month that they are retiring from politics. Name them.

one is noel dempsey the other is ?

The other is M.J. Nolan

Advertisement