Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New motherboard won't post! no RAM detected

• 27-12-2010 6:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hey everyone,

I've got an Asus M4A89GTD and I can't get it to post, I have no video at all.

I'm using an AMD Phenom II X6 1090T processor with it, and everytime I turn it on, it shows a continuous red light beside the MemOk! button, and it gives the beep code indicating it didn't detect any RAM.

I've been trying to get this to work for around 5 days now. I've tried around 15 different types of RAM on it, I've tried ones that have the part number listed as compatible in the manual, and not a single one of them seems to be detected.

Can anyone give me any idea of what else might be wrong? I'm about to RMA the board, and I don't want to send it back if nothing is wrong with it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Ironbar

Is the mainboard properly connected to the PSU ?

Do you have the RAM in the right sockets ?

Tried a CMOS reset ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭Maxpv

Ironbar wrote: »
    Is the mainboard properly connected to the PSU ?

Do you have the RAM in the right sockets ?

Tried a CMOS reset ?
    Yes to all.

Since creating this thread, I have discovered that the problem may be that the current BIOS on the BIOS chip may not support my CPU, as it is only supported in the newer versions.

I have ordered a new BIOS chip fro this mobo with the latest version already flashed on and plan to replace it with the current one. I'll post an update here when it arrives, in case anybody else ever encounters this problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,304 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

and you have pressed MemOK! right?

board could honestly be DOA. Have the GTD Pro USB3 myself. pretty board.

Never read any compatibility issue with the 1090t but I have the 1055t.

Overheal wrote: »
    and you have pressed MemOK! right?

Yes, I'm pretty sure it actually is not detecting the RAM, and is not something stupid like that. I've been trying this for around a week now and had a few people look at this motherboard.
    Overheal wrote: »
    Never read any compatibility issue with the 1090t but I have the 1055t.

The 1090T is only supported in the newer BIOS versions according to the Asus website. Most people who have this board and processor combo bought them in a bundle, I bought mine seperately and think I have got an older BIOS version.

I was actually about to RMA the board, yesterday, but I decided to try replacing the BIOS chip with another one with the newest BIOS already flashed, if it doesn't work, no biggie, I only paid 10euro for the BIOS chip.

Also, you mentioned having the board, slightly off topic, but do you think its a good board? I'm thinking of replacing it for an Asus Crosshair IV Formula.

if i had the money or the fiscal caution into the wind i would have gone for the Crosshair IV. I like however that the 890GT on the board is actually a fairly powerful little GPU for an onboard chip and good to have if and/or when your Graphics Card decides to give up the ghost. The 890FX as you might now just handles Crossfire and doesnt do any rendering. That said the GT is inert when there is a card inserted, and the max crossfire speed is x8 x8. the ROG connect on the IV looks like a daydream come true also :p whether or not you would actually need all these widgets though is debatable. You're still talking about ~35-40% more cost. I'd do it if you were going for a purebred performance build, dual or triple crossfire, etc. otherwise the M4A89GTD is plenty of card.

• Advertisement

Ok, just received my replacement BIOS, installed it and, the exact same problem. No Post, memOK light stays continuous after pressing and going through the sequence.

I really appreciate any help at all anyone can give me, this is really wrecking my head, I have no computer at the moment because of this and have to borrow a laptop from a friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

jumpers?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Does sound very like a DOA board to me. The couple of times I have seen it I most boards tend to post fine even with an unsupported CPU type, the usual behaviour is a successful boot with a hugely underclocked CPU, almost like a failsafe setting if you will.

marco_polo wrote: »
    Does sound very like a DOA board to me. The couple of times I have seen it I most boards tend to post fine even with an unsupported CPU type, the usual behaviour is a successful boot with a hugely underclocked CPU, almost like a failsafe setting if you will.

Ok, before I send this back, is it possible that its a DOA processor, and not a motherboard? IE could this issue be caused by a faulty processor.

Youve spent a reasonable amount of time trying to fix this issue, it's time for ASUS to accept an RMA.

If its a faulty processor you need to find another AM3-socket compatible processor (Socket AM2/AM2+ sadly are not) to drop in there to test it. Or a working AM3 boards. It is possible given the CPU is what controls the memory, after all.

you know with a little off-the-shelf liquid nitrogen and liquid helium you could clock the processor to 7.127 Ghz? I know my - erm, Home Depot - stocks Liquid Noble gasses! :p

• Advertisement

OK, I am just about fit to break this into pieces.

Got a brand new motherboard, Asus Crosshair Formula IV. connected it up inside the box, and guess what? memok light is continuous! exact same as before!

Before I smash this brand new build into 1,000 minature pieces, just wondering if its now safe to assume that its the processor thats fecked? Could this issue be caused by a PSU?

I'm really really really pissed off now that it looks like I have to get another processor, and I'm just hoping that by a miracle from God, it'll only be the PSU, although I think I tested a different PSU with the m4a89gtd.

Thanks for your help guys.

EDIT: Got this working, don't ask me how I did it as I don't even know myself. Thanks for your help guys!

Advertisement