Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Outage Portlaoise

Options
  • 27-12-2010 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭

Big problem with the water supply in portlaoise and surrounding areas. Technical difficulties in the reservoir means supply won't be resumed for at least a few days.
    In the mean time the council has water tAnkers at various points including the county council, dunes stores and the leisure centre. Supposed to be drinkable after boiling but I think I will stick to the bottled stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭token56

Thanks for the info, I heard myself it could be a fairly serious problem with the reservoir, anyone know exactly what the problem is?

The whole of portlaoise and alot of surrounding areas also seems to be mostly out of bottled water. Went to Newbridge myself to get a few litres for a few different people.

Anyone any more detail about this?

There seems to be nothing on the Laois County Council Website and the national news is only covering Dublin in any detail obviously. Anything at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Just rumours mate. Heard there was an electrical problem at the resevoir. Also heard that it burst. Don't believe either.
    Water flow came back very slowly for a while last night but is gone again Today.

Yeah only have hear say myself. Latest I heard is that there are a couple of mains pipes burst but they just dont know where the breaks are and are still trying to find them. Could be a while by all accounts anyway. As far as I know they are trying to test different sections of the pipes to find the leaks so that might be why you noticed a small bit of pressure for while.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

I was on the phone to the water dept this morning. Basically the woman said there's an absolute heap of leaks. They've found some and fixed them but there's more that they still havn't found yet. The water is turned off to allow for repairs along with problems at the reservoir and it's likely to continue for a number of days (I've heard a rumour of it lasting until at least the 31st of December) :(

Water tankers from the Civil defence are supplying water at 6 locations
    1. county hall
    2. old dunnes stores
    3. Portlaoise Leisure Centre
    4. water treatment plant meelick
    5. fairgreen
    6. community centre knockmay

Just bring your containers and they'll fill them. She said to boil the water before you drink it though because the tankers aren't sterile (even though the water is treated) and technically they can't say it's fit for human consumption!!!!

I'll just stick to booze, no shortage of that....Vodka tea anyone? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭neonitrix

there are a whole heap of rumours going round on how long this will last, i rekon they could turn on supply for hour each day at low pressure just to give a majority of people a supply for showers toilets etc. it would give them time to trace leaks ie: where is water not reaching for that hour etc.

the water tanks are great but cant find containers for water or drinking water in any of the shops in and around portlaoise for love nor money today.

4 litres of water in miik cartons isnt lasting long in this house.

hope it comes back soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭contentking

Water just back in my house, hopefully for good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Water just back in my house, hopefully for good :)

Me too. Showered now and a few pots filled just in case... Im not going without tea that long again :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 schnecke1916

Went to the County Council offices today at half twelve to fill up from the tanker as I had the day before yesterday only today, no tanker. Was told at reception it had gone to the old Dunnes on the Fair Green. Got the impression they weren't sure what was going on themselves. Went to Dunnes and found the tanker unattended, people were just helping themselves, fine till someone forgets to turn off the tap. Spoke to a few people there, small families, looking after the elderly, what is an inconvenience for some is a nightmare for others. Laois Co Co could improve their communication on their website and Twitter. There is a shortage of information as well as water. Why for example do some parts of Portlaoise have it and others don't? If this is to do with water pressure let us know and if you need someone to man your tankers I will gladly volunteer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

According to Laois Co Co "90%" of water has been restored to Portlaoise. Talking to some businesses down the town today and they all had it while the residents in the surrounding estates did not. Combination of water pressure and council deciding to slowly restore it to some areas rather than all at once. Think is how do they decide who gets it, is it whoever screams the loudest or is there some logic to this? Would be nice if they would let us know.
    We might as well get used to this and look after our own water needs for as long as the co co have those ancient pipes and we keep hitting the minus temperatures. I got a 40 litre water carrier from Argos yesterday (the camping kind you can roll) and I am able to fill my tank with that. When they eventually stop the tankers it will be the river just like the old days

Water back in Summerhill, but for how long? Will start drilling for a water table in the coming weeks, chateau Portlaoise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Obaraten wrote: »
    Still no water in Kilminchy,its a ****ing joke,and they want to bring in water charges?

They've been talking about that one for as long as I can remember, if it ever happens Id be shocked.

You're in a prime boom building spot which is probably why your water pipes are brutal and ill planned in Kilminchy. Ive had water back for ages now, think Ill shower twice today :)

Hahaha!

Actually, and you're not gonna believe this...I spoke too soon and was immediately punished by god/the council. Bloody water is gone again :D

Are they teasing us or what??

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭What? Oh Rly!

**Vai** wrote: »
    Hahaha!

Actually, and you're not gonna believe this...I spoke too soon and was immediately punished by god/the council. Bloody water is gone again :D

Are they teasing us or what??

Same here, then it came back, what the hell is going on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭elainee40

pity esker hills didnt,

Crap it is, and primrose adn buttercup ave have no water cause no pressure to get up the hills, so they had water tankers up the top of road.
    Ive had to leave house with 2 kids as one started getting cold in the hse and now has streaming nose :mad::(

• Advertisement

Doubt its gonna get much better anytime soon with this new cold snap coming tomorrow :(

Advertisement