Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency water supplies and water restrictions 27/12/10

• 27-12-2010 6:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭

From http://www.clarecoco.ie/water-waste-environment/news/emergency-water-supplies-and-water-restrictions.html
    Emergency water supplies and water restrictions

Date issued: 27/12/10

Since the thaw has started further leaks are likely to become apparent over the next few days as the ground thaws out gradually. Householders are advised to consult the tips on this website.

Householders are requested to use water as sparingly as possible and not to leave taps running continuously.

Householders should assist their neighbours where possible in relation to supply of water.

The council is urgently requesting that owner check vacant buildings and water supplies to land in order to detect and prevent leaks.

In addition to the usual Clare County Council Emergency Number (087) 4169496, a second number (087) 6377770 will be available on Tuesday 28th December from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Please use these two numbers only for major emergencies, if you have a problem with your internal plumbing please contact a plumber or heating contractor.
    Water supply cut-offs

Water will be cut-off until further notice at the following locations from 11:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m.:

* Doora
    * Barefield
    * Crusheen
    * Lahinch Road - Ennis
    * Shanaway Road - Ennis

Water will be cut-off until further notice at the following locations from 8:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m.:

* Shannon
    * Newmarket on Fergus
    * Sixmilebridge
    * Kilmurray
    * Kilkishen
    * Quin
    * Tulla

Water will be cut-off until further notice at the following locations from 8:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m.:

* Clonlara
    * Shannon Banks
    * Westbury

Water will be cut-off until further notice at the following locations from 11:30 p.m. to 8:00 a.m.:

* Lahinch
    * Liscannor
    * Lisdoonvarna
    * Doolin
    * Fanore

Emergency supplies Ennis / Clarecastle

For households experiencing difficulties with their water supply in the Ennis / Clarecastle area, manned water standpipes will continue to be provided at the following locations until further notice from 10:00 a.m. until 12:00 noon.

* Health Centre, Clarecastle
    * Cahercalla Estate, Kilrush Road, Ennis
    * Gort Road Industrial Estate, Ennis
    * Cappahard, Tulla Road, Ennis

Emergency supplies Shannon

Standpipes will be available at Gleann an Óir, Shannon and Ros Silín, Ballycasey from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon until further notice.
    Emergency supply Sixmilebridge

A standpipe will be available near McGregor's pub Sixmilebridge from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon until further notice.
    Emergency supply Westbury

A standpipe will be available at No. 60 Clonard, Westbury from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon until further notice.
    Emergency supply Tulla

A standpipe will be available at Main Street Tulla (near veterinary office) from 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. on Tuesday 28th December.

Page last updated: 27/12/10

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭molard

in westbury no water turned off tg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Luckily my estate is on the main water line to airport, so never gets cut :)
    Rest of shannon went off though 8-8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Whole of my estate is back with water except for us???? 1 week now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

This is from Councilor Cathy McCafferty's Facebook feed -

If you are still experiencing water problems please call tge council's Emergency number (087) 4169496 which is in operation from 5.00pm Tuesday 28th December to 9.30 am Wednesday 29th December. The councils main number (065) 6821616 will be operation from 9.30am to 5.00pm Wednesday 29th December 2010.

According to the council, all the major leaks are fixed and the pipes are no longer frozen. If you still are having issues, the problem is more than likely between your stopcock and your attic, but you can give the council a ring to make sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

mobile doest work and the councils number just keeps ringing out, this country is a mess :mad:

• Advertisement

water turned of in westbury last night. on clare coco webpage 7pm till 8am.

mobile doest work and the councils number just keeps ringing out, this country is a mess :mad:
    don,t u know they are on holidays.don,t expect any thing being done till tuesday 4 jan 2011:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Tried the emergency mobile throughout the day yesterday and the main Co. Council line throughout the day today and finally got through to the latter to report a leak just now. Let's see how long it takes to fix it if it took most of two days to report it!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭heathercat

phill106 wrote: »
    From http://www.clarecoco.ie/water-waste-environment/news/emergency-water-supplies-and-water-restrictions.html
    Emergency water supplies and water restrictions

Date issued: 27/12/10

There's an update now (Date issued: 29/12/10) with new times and locations.

Now I'm on Shanaway Road. If the water gets turned off from 9 pm, I don't understand why I haven't got water now, it's just on 5 pm.

Luckily the pipes to my house didn't freeze, and I had no problem all those days before. Now it thaws and I haven't got water. :confused:

Since the winters will be like this from now on for the next ten(ish) years, what with the Gulf Stream so weak, one would think the councils will do something to protect the pipes in future. Ah.... wishful thinking....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Sounds like us - we had no water for 11 days, it came back on yesterday for a couple of hours then disappeared and hasn't been back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭pedroThePirate

Yes, it may be a mess, LordSpence, but at least we have so far managed
    to avoid the insanity of passing our public utilities over into private hands
    in the way the UK have done.

Clare CoCo may be underfunded, disorganised and a trifle likely to turn a
    blind eye to cowboy developers, but at least they are not driven by the
    "shareholders' profits" mantra which now dictates everything in the UK.
    Belfast's water problems have been highlighted in the news media today,
    and these stem purely and simply from the pruning back of infrastructure
    maintenance occasioned by cost-saving and profit increase.

One of the reasons I left the UK was that, when my water supply moved from
    local authority to a private company, my charges increased by 1500% in the
    first year and the service got worse.

Private utility companies do not produce competition; they produce legalised
    cartel gravy-train profiteering on a massive scale.

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭pedroThePirate

As a postscript to my last entry, I believe that, in any country
    which makes a claim to be a member of the civilised world,
    there are six essential public services which must remain
    totally under the administration of the State without any suggestion of
    being operated as profit-making bodies:

Education (including third-level)
    Railway network and train operation
    Water supply
    Gas supply
    Electricity supply
    Healthcare at all levels

The sooner we can rid our brains of the insanity brought about by
    the adoption of the "Maggie Thatcher" model of a commercially
    driven society, the better it will be for all of us.

Chris

Advertisement