Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€550-600 Gaming build

Options
  • 27-12-2010 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hey everyone,

Was hoping you guys can help me out with choosing decent components for my next machine that I will be building after new years.

I will be using it for gaming/audio production and general multimedia/web stuff.

I have all the peripherals/monitor(24" at 1920x1080)/OS(win 7), so all I need is the brain.

I will build it myself with ease, as I was into hardware/pc building like 3-4 years ago, just kinda fell behind now and not sure what is good.

I'd prefer to use HWVS or pixmania(considering their huge Christmas sale).

€600 is my max budget(inc. delivery) but i would prefer to keep it around €550(student life is hard :D)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 visco

After some looking around, seems like i wont be able to afford an i5 build with a decent enough GPU, so looks like its AMD for me.

Which would perform better:
    AMD Athlon II X4 645 Box AM3
    AMD Phenom II X4 925 Box, Sockel AM3
    Or something else?

Also, GPUs choices seem mad nowadays...did some snooping around at reviews/prices, and seems like its either 460/465/5850/6850, all around same performance/price?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

visco wrote: »
    After some looking around, seems like i wont be able to afford an i5 build with a decent enough GPU, so looks like its AMD for me.

Which would perform better:
    AMD Athlon II X4 645 Box AM3
    AMD Phenom II X4 925 Box, Sockel AM3
    Or something else?

Also, GPUs choices seem mad nowadays...did some snooping around at reviews/prices, and seems like its either 460/465/5850/6850, all around same performance/price?

5850 is the fastest outta the bunch there and IIRC, the 465 would be second, the 460/6850 tied third.

Id go with the phenom II, its a superior architecture to the Athlon

Ill throw up a build tomorrow, im a little busy tonight

Here is what i came up so far... although it totalled to €581 without delivery... so a bit over the budget. Although I might be able to afford, i wont really know until few weeks after new years or so.

Any ideas to reduce the cost?

pcconfigresized.jpg

EDIT: I could live with 500gb hard drive instead of 1tb, so thats -€13
    Instead of the OC version of 6850 get a basic one so thats another -€9
    And get cheaper ram by Kingston or Corsair which is another -€15

So that is about €544 excluding delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Deano12345 wrote: »
    5850 is the fastest outta the bunch there and IIRC, the 465 would be second, the 460/6850 tied third.

Id go with the phenom II, its a superior architecture to the Athlon

Ill throw up a build tomorrow, im a little busy tonight
    1gb 460 OC version outperforms the 465 and is cheaper :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Like you im looking for a build, but with a slightly large budget but after doing some research I found out that the phenom 555 x2 can be unlocked using simple steps to make it an x4. It's a 80 euro processor that would probably out perform the processor you have listed there.

You need specific motherboards to be able to do this and I am still figuring out which will be able to do this and hopefully will be cheap also.

Link to processor: http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=30589&agid=1242

Link to unlocking information and benchmarks: http://www.pureoverclock.com/article905.html

I hope this saves you a few euro and gives you a better system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Limericks wrote: »
    Like you im looking for a build, but with a slightly large budget but after doing some research I found out that the phenom 555 x2 can be unlocked using simple steps to make it an x4. It's a 80 euro processor that would probably out perform the processor you have listed there.

You need specific motherboards to be able to do this and I am still figuring out which will be able to do this and hopefully will be cheap also.

Link to processor: http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=30589&agid=1242

Link to unlocking information and benchmarks: http://www.pureoverclock.com/article905.html

I hope this saves you a few euro and gives you a better system.

Remeber that you are not guarnteed to get a sucsesfull CPU unlock. You just have to be lucky :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

visco wrote: »
    Here is what i came up so far... although it totalled to €581 without delivery... so a bit over the budget. Although I might be able to afford, i wont really know until few weeks after new years or so.

Any ideas to reduce the cost?

pcconfigresized.jpg

EDIT: I could live with 500gb hard drive instead of 1tb, so thats -€13
    Instead of the OC version of 6850 get a basic one so thats another -€9
    And get cheaper ram by Kingston or Corsair which is another -€15

So that is about €544 excluding delivery.

If you spend just a small bit extra you can get the black edition amd 955 3.2 ghz + 14 euros
    A nicer case with much better airflow + 15 euros

I was scrounging and saving and bargaining on a PC I was getting awhile back and I just said ****it, I'll be using the damn thing almost every day for years so i added just a small bit extra and really got what i wanted - worth every penny

Seems like my budget is a tad bit higher than i expected and i will be ordering the parts in the next few days, so here is the build i'm thinking so far.

Whatcha think?

pcconfigresized-1.jpg

Advertisement