Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Game On

• 10-12-2010 1:10am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering what the people here thought of the much-advertised GameOn in Dublin... what do you think of it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

It was alright. Worth the money. Playing the star wars arcade machine was fun.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I thought it was great, they had "Astro Wars" game there, had it when i was younger, prob the first video game i owned i could clear it without dying at the time!

On a side note im in the ad holding my youngest kid saying "it was great to play all the old games again" Oh how i have been slagged, from friends, family even the cleaning lady in work.. i really hope they stop showing it soon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That's you?

Hahaha! Excellent stuff. You poor chap. I'd be slagged about that till the end of time by my family if it was me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Yeh i swear the ammount of people laughing at me haha I got tickets to the opening of it and i brought the kids down, your man grabbed me on the way out the door, I wouldnt mind but its on nearly every ad break on tv at this stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Well... you must have signed on the dotted line somewhere or else you could have a big suit on your hands.

*few days later: "GameOn is now closed down due to unforeseen fiscal difficulties"*

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Was at the opening myself and they do make you sign along the dotted line! I escaped thank god.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

just wondering did anyone go to this in the ambassador?
    thinking of heading in, for a tenner its probably worth a look around!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

I went to it in October and will be going again soon. One word. EPIC! :D

I was born in 91 and it was so cool getting to play Pong and dozens of other games you see in 70s and 80s movies!

In terms of the exhibition it's very hands on. Most of the machines are just set out waiting to be played. Only one or two which are worth like 50,000 euro each are protected by glass cases.

Lots of freedom to do what you wish and play what you want. An hour won't be enough!! Buy the 3 hour ticket! :P

We went during the day and the security guy was sound and didn't say anything when we stayed for another 45 mins extra :P In fact all the staff are great in that they keep their distance but will give you a hand if you can get something working (like this big contraption you literally have to climb into and operate a huge robot thingy....)

Also, I think (although the offer may be over) that it's only a fiver Mon-Thurs during the day. It was at some point but as I say, could be over.

Really good way to spend an afternoon. Definitely drag a few mates along too. Great craic ;)

Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

sweet man, thats what I was hoping to hear!
    think it will be a 3 hour ticket so :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Please perform a thread search before making a new one on a topic already well covered, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Thinking of heading down on Monday on a 3hr ticket. Is that enough time to see and try everything?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Thinking of heading down on Monday on a 3hr ticket. Is that enough time to see and try everything?

Not sure if I should respond here considering Ciderman's post above (apologies if I shouldn't) - but I went to Game On yesterday with a mate seeing as it was only €5 for the first hour rather than the normal tenner, and I was in and out in 30 mins. Considering all the love it's getting on these forums I'm definitely in the minority, but it didn't really excite me at all.

Maybe it's because I was born in the 70s and not the 90s as the poster above, and I'd seen & played a good portion of that was there before. It was nice to see the Computer Space machines but both were turned off unfortunately, Pong was displayed on a projector and felt no more exciting that messing with dimmer light switches. Missile Command was nice except for the silly spot light glaring on the cab screen.
    One major gripe was the lack of lighting in places. I'm sure they were going for the dark n dingy arcade feel which is fine if you only need to look at bright screens, but when you want to read the info for some of the older machines it was hard to do sometimes. See if you can find the VR headset display case.

Was nice to see the Vectrex there but they had the controllers tucked away and controls were mapped to buttons instead?! Lemmings on the Amiga was stuck on the password screen and with only access to a mouse it was unplayable, could they not have chosen something a bit more specific to the machine rather than a game ported to umpteen devices, maybe something that required a joystick too. And they had a Megadrive pad connected up to the C64 too ffs!

The normal €10 for an hour is a joke and €30 for a family pass is a p1ss take. Anyway, in the minority I know so grumpy rant over. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Sounds so typically Irish form the above experience. All the foundations in place for a proper, professional, enjoyable experience...but alas, not to be. Games stuck on password screens, stuff not turned on, dreadful lighting...mosney would have been the ideal location for something like that.

Sounds like the simple things were neglected, which for me lets the whole thing down. Fair dues to anyone if powered off consoles & unplayable demonstrations give you a buzz & you find that stuff fun, I find it laughable really.

Actually scratch Mosney, the below would be better suited...

fatherted.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

I looked at the list of games on the website that they are showcasing. Seeing as I'm a gaming pensioner (at the ripe old age of 31), I too have played most of the games being exhibited there in their original incarnations.

Sounds to me either you went along at a bad time and discovered machines turned off or malfunctioning etc or it's just a poor exhibit.

The ad's I've seen round town make it sound like a decent exhibition with lots of stuff to play but also to learn something.

Sounds like someone's just slung a bunch of gear in to a room and said 'let's charge 20 euro a ticket for this and see how many people bite'.

I'd like to have gone but will pass up on it. I'm sure younger games may enjoy it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭JTER

I will join the minority also, found it was lacking in certain areas. My girlfriend whom I dragged with me was disappointed there was no original sonic. I didnt look too hard for it so we could have missed it.

The biggest dissapointment for me was the lack of Goldeneye multiplayer! one measly joypad sticking out of the n64 with a tiny screen. 4 colourful pads with a 40 inch was in order for that. Dealbreaker for me.

They should have had greater emphasis on proper multiplayer imo. Bomberman and halo were not enough. Slaughtering 6 year olds in Halo cheered me up before the end. its the little things really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I would have preferred if they had more classic arcade games.

There is only a small section of arcade games, and the rest is consoles and computers.

Its interesting to see old consoles but tbh it is easy to get these on the second hand market. Much harder to see the original arcade games. But I guess that is why they didn't have many of them :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I only made it there last week , enjoyed it , its odd playing stuff in the original cabs , I hadn't played starwars since I was about 13 or so , so I was suprised by how cramped the sit down cab felt.
    Despite the fact its supposed to close at seven a security guard gave us the "closing in 5 minutes lads" speech at 6.25!!
    one odd thing I really ended up enjoying was gradius V on the PS2 (and katamari , as I'd heard of it but never played it)
    ((I went to call in there over christmas and it was closed at 5 as well (despite an open till 7 sign over the door and on the website..which annoyed the hell out of me))
    It finishes up on the 30th of the month btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,733 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Debating if I should go this week, or forever miss out...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Debating if I should go this week, or forever miss out...

same really, been looking at it forlornly for so long :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Went to this with the missus when it first arrived.I must say I was disappointed. It was all thrown together in typical Irish style.Dark and dingey surroundings with clapped out consoles and cabs.There were feck all arcade cabs with the highlight being the Neo geo mvs and virtual fighter(joystick nackered).Most were in terrible condition and looked like they were rescued from a skip.
    Who ever decided the game of choice to play on some of the computers/consoles should have been shot.I was really looking forward to playing some Saturn/Dreamcast classics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Damn. Is this over now? I never went. It's like the time Mr. T came to the mall all over again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

It's finished? Balls, not back in Dublin 'til Thursday. Very annoyed I never got around to going over the Christmas.

Advertisement