Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bridging routers wirelessly

• 27-12-2010 8:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

Background...got a new panasonic TV and Bu-ray both have ethernet..however they are on the floor below my router that's connected to the internet..you can buy a wireless adapter however it's expensive...like over €100..want to try other options first

Question...I have 2 wireless routers a thompson one that i'm using for wireless in my house..one is in bridging mode already via cable from a hub on my roof that i have no access to..this router has limited settings..imagine wimax..being too safe..i also have an old sweex router..could i connect these wirelessly..having the sweex router on the floor below and using it to connect to the TV and blu-ray through ethernet allowing them access to the internet to update etc..

Diagram

jv407d.png

alternate question...i know i can use my laptop to connect then share the connection via ethernet..i have done this previoudly for xbox live..however i set it up the same way but it cannot find a gateway or dns..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

If the Sweex router supports something like Client Bridge mode or Client Mode, yes.
    * Client Bridged - Join two wired networks by two Wireless routers building a bridge. All computers can see one another in Windows Network.
    * Client Mode - Join two wired networks by two Wireless routers (unbridged). Computers on one wired network can not see computers on other wired network in Windows Network.

Re. Laptop sharing: Have you tried manually entering an IP, gateway and DNS? I've had to do that on a handheld device here - auto didn't work with my router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,295 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I've done this with Cisco routers but you might have trouble in that setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

Overheal wrote: »
    I've done this with Cisco routers but you might have trouble in that setup.

i'm thinking that alright i've tried everything i know or can find on the net and nothing seems to work...because i have no access to one of the routers i can't get it working

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

A wireless bridge is another option. This one has a 5 port ethernet switch built-in but it's not cheap: http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-Wireless-G-Ethernet-Bridge-WET54GS5/dp/B0001ZRLRE. If I were you, I'd buy a Linksys WRT54GL, or one of the other models that DD-WRT firmware supports, flash it with DD-WRT and set it up as a client bridge.

You don't need access to the Thompson. You just need a router that supports the feature, or a wireless bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

Snowbat wrote: »
    A wireless bridge is another option. This one has a 5 port ethernet switch built-in but it's not cheap: http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-Wireless-G-Ethernet-Bridge-WET54GS5/dp/B0001ZRLRE. If I were you, I'd buy a Linksys WRT54GL, or one of the other models that DD-WRT firmware supports, flash it with DD-WRT and set it up as a client bridge.

You don't need access to the Thompson. You just need a router that supports the feature, or a wireless bridge.

am going to do this looking Linksys WRT160NL but i need to update the tv firmware asap really...

i need help with internet sharing..when i connect the laptop to the TV via Ethernet..click the internet sharing on the laptop wireless connection set the TV to DHCP it is assigned an IP and Subnet but no DNS or Gateway run the network test on the TV and gets to Gateway part and fails.

• Advertisement
Advertisement