Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woof Woof Pow Pow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

This session went well and I'm fairly happy how my bench is progressing.

Bench
    2 x 10 - 60
    1 x 10 - 80
    1 x 5 - 100
    1 x 2 - 115
    5 x 2 - 125

CG Foam Press
    5 x 5 - 112.5

Inverted Rows
    5 x 15

DB Front Raises
    1 x 12 - 12.5's
    5 x 12 - 17.5's

DB Side Bends
    3 x 15 - 35

Band Pull Aparts
    2 x 30 - Purple Band

Next week I'll be working up to a single, looking forward to it to see where I'm at!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

Benching seems to be going well - what are you aiming for next week?? 140+??

podge57 wrote: »
    Benching seems to be going well - what are you aiming for next week?? 140+??

140 would be very nice.......but If I don't get it, no sweat as the comp is still 5 weeks away!!

All morning I thought I had 5 triples with 210kg for this session, so was getting ready for it but then I checked this morning and I actually realised it was only 5 triples with 190kg.

TBH it was good that it was only 190 as my back still felt a bit dodge from Saturday.

Deads - All beltless
    2 x 5 - 100
    1 x 5 - 140
    1 x 3 - 170
    1 x 3 - 190

DB Goblet Squats
    2 x 10 - 37.5
    3 x 10 - 57.5

Leg Press (Close Stance)
    1 x 12 - 150
    5 x 12 - 200

Plate Abs
    3 x 10 - 10kg behind head
    3 x 10 - 20kg in front of head

BB Shrugs (D O/H)
    1 X 10 - 100
    1 X 5 - 140
    3 X 10 - 140

KB Calf Raises
    4 x 15 - 24

My back didn't feel the best but looking back at my vids the pulls all looked nice and fast.

The leg pressing I had to do with a close stance because of the dimensions of the machine but it felt good.

Decent session.

Some big squats on Saturday........well the heaviest I've done in a while but before that I've an upper rep session on Thursday.

I did some close grip floor pressing PAUSED this morning in honour of COH.

He's going through a rough time atm as his Vag has returned.........must be all that HomoRage he's taking!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

I'm still confused now a floor press is done without a pause...doesn't it defeat the whole purpose?

Absolutely.........COH doesn't believe in the Pause!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I'm still confused now a floor press is done without a pause...doesn't it defeat the whole purpose?

What? How?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,146 ✭✭✭COH

Da Za wrote: »
    I did some close grip floor pressing PAUSED this morning in honour of COH.

He's going through a rough time atm as his Vag has returned.........must be all that HomoRage he's taking!!!

You think about me an awful lot dude.. its kinda gay

Absolutely.........COH doesn't believe in the Pause!!!

Point proven.

Anyway, your triceps are a limiting factor in your bench... mine arent. I've changed how I bench completely over the last few months because if anything my bench was too tricep dependant.

You know I love you.......

Absolutely.......ur by far a stronger bencher and have different strengths and weaknesses, I just need to get stronger......mid press is where I've always failed so I want to get my triceps as strong as possible!!!

• Advertisement

Hanley wrote: »
    What? How?

By Pausing i meant actually touching the floor with a slight pause and letting the weight rest...

as oppose to COH's .5 inch range of motion

By Pausing i meant actually touching the floor with a slight pause and letting the weight rest...

Its nearly lunchtime... you best hurry if you're going to make the step aerobics class.

COH wrote: »
    Its nearly lunchtime... you best hurry if you're going to make the step aerobics class.

Sorry dude...its henners that does the g*y classes not me...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Sorry dude...its henners that does the g*y classes not me...

He's BACK!

You know I love you.......

Absolutely.......ur by far a stronger bencher and have different strengths and weaknesses, I just need to get stronger......mid press is where I've always failed so I want to get my triceps as strong as possible!!!

What makes you think your triceps are the problem there?

Again, why the pause?

I would have thought the reason for the pause would be to take momentum out of the movement and in addition, pausing at the bottom would mimmick competition benching, albeit with DBs instead of a BB and with a reduced ROM on a competition bench.

I would have thought the reason for the pause would be to take momentum out of the movement and in addition, pausing at the bottom would mimmick competition benching, albeit with DBs instead of a BB and with a reduced ROM on a competition bench.
    But why would you do that?

Like if you wanna talk about specificy, the bar won’t be at a pause at that position, it’ll be moving, albeit slowly. So should that not be how to train it? (I don’t agree with specificy like that at the best of times anyway).

I just don’t see how using “you have to pause on your chest in competition (with a barbell)” is a way of legistimising “lets cut the ROM and use a totally different implement” in training.

I actually think there’s a lot to be said for training marginally below your sticking point.

And strangely enough, I’ve always found higher rep sets seem to help with mid/top range issues. I’d say it’s the sorta thing that depends on the individual as a result of different fibre type distributions, but the more reps I do, the higher my sticking point moves during sets.

I know what you mean.

The main reason I pause at the bottom is because I find the exercise way harder that way.
    And while harder doesn't always mean better, I think it's No harm to change the way you do an exercise from time to time

I know what you mean.

The main reason I pause at the bottom is because I find the exercise way harder that way.
    And while harder doesn't always mean better, I think it's No harm to change the way you do an exercise from time to time

Hows that working out for you?

Hows that working out for you?

Sure you'll see first hand on July 24th I guess

• Advertisement

He's BACK!

Go **** yourself

Your not doing GPC are you?

Go **** yourself

Your not doing GPC are you?

Probably will for the craic

I'm not challenging you to put up a new 1RM... you said you think its a good idea to change how you do an exercise, I asked why.

Whats wrong with how you were doing it in the first place?

I'm not challenging you to put up a new 1RM... you said you think its a good idea to change how you do an exercise, I asked why.

Whats wrong with how you were doing it in the first place?

Wendler said it was cool...then said it wasnt...but then dave tate said it was...and maybe andy bolton did it once...

@Hanley

My tricep strength may not be the cause of my sticking point at all and I also believe that training just below ur sticking point is far more beneficial than training a movement right at it.

I've really focused on my triceps the last weeks and my bench is increasing nicely, it may or may not be the sole reason why my bench improved but it certainly helps.

This is for my repetition day and I find them a lot harder and I feel they're very beneficial to me. The delt work has also help so it's the totality of everything really.

You see my thought process...... I'm doing this on my phone and in a hurry so may be all over the place and not as thought out as I'd want!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Probably will for the craic

Best idea ever.

I'll pay your entry fee.

*warning* Post may contain traces of sarcasm. Quoted post may contain traces of nuts, but not that kind.

I'll pay your entry

I'll hold you to that

Last Thursday- upper rep- got some good work in!

Last Saturday- worked up to 5 x 3 - 180kg-back was in bits while doing this but got **** done + all the accessory work.

Today- I'll be Benching later 2nite, working up to a single, bicep is acting like a Vag but should be grand.

Bench
    2 x 10 - 60
    1 x 10 - 80
    1 x 5 - 100
    1 x 1 - 110
    1 x 1 - 120
    2 x 0 - 135
    1 x 1 - 130

CG Foam Press
    5 x 5 - 115

Inverted Rows
    5 x 15

DB Front Raises
    1 x 10 - 12.5's
    5 x 8 - 20's

DB Side Bends
    3 x 15 - 37.5

Band Pull Aparts
    2 x 30 - Purple Band

Benching didn't go exactly how I wanted but it is what it is...........

The 1st single with 135 I felt I had it but I misgrooved mid way up.
    On the 2nd single I got a good drive of my chest but just had nothing at mid point.

Then I took a single with 130 and it was easy........a hell of a lot easier then the last time a few weeks ago so that's a plus!!!

I got some good work in the rest of the session and things are going well.

Pulling tomorrow night.............gonna be a long day though!!!

• Advertisement

Then I took a single with 130 and it was easy........a hell of a lot easier then the last time a few weeks ago so that's a plus!!

Yeah, because you bounced the absolute f*ck out of it... you giant hypocrite!

You may now pause your face directly up your own arse

Advertisement