Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Work and grant advice

Options
  • 27-12-2010 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am looking for some advice at the moment as I'm at a bit of a loss what to do
    I studied medicine in UCD and dropped out mid way through the fourth year as I really was not enjoying the course at all.
    I have been working for the last four years in the disability sector and have my heart set on social work for the last two years. I have two avenues to social work. One is a four year undergrad course in Trinity/UCC or the other is three years of a H.Dip in social policy with the Masters in Social work.

I have been offered this year ,by UCD medical school, a chance to receive a medical science degree after my four and a half years in med school.Despite the fact that I dropped out in 2008, the degree I will be awarded will be in the 2010/2011 term.This means I will be ineligible for any postgrad grants for next year as I will not have had a break of at least three years in my study.

I am seriously thinking about not getting the medical science degree from UCD. This would mean that I would have had at least four years break before re-entering education. My salary for the last four years has been very low and so I think I would be suitable for a grant. Would I still be eligible for a grant or free fee's despite having done four years of medicine and leaving without a degree?

I also feel that a four year undergrad would be less intensive and time consuming than a three year full time postgrad, which would give me more time to work to pay my rent etc?

Also, does anyone here have any experience of the BA undergrad in Social work in Trinity or UCC?

Thanks, any advice would be most helpful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

panda100 wrote: »
    Would I still be eligible for a grant or free fee's despite having done four years of medicine and leaving without a degree?
    Yes you are deemed a second chance student but it is after 5 years

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Yes you are deemed a second chance student but it is after 5 years

Oh cool.I think it may be just five years from 2011 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Panda, I know someone who did the UCC undergard a few years back, if you pm me an address and any questions, I can get her to email you?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cairdre

Hi

I think you need to get some professional careers's advice before making a final decision. Being able to get your med science degree is not something to be dismissed lightly. If you are on a low income you may be eligible for a grant for post grad study anyway, look at www.studentfinance.ie for income thresholds etc.Local Authority will cover €6500 of fees for post grad. The govt is tightening the requirements for mature students all the time it would not be easy to study living on just a student grant. Would you be eligible to get career advice from careers service in UCD, they will be experts on post grad courses for social work. Have you looked at NI etc.

Think carefully before proceeding. Good luck with your decision.

C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

cairdre wrote: »
    Hi

I think you need to get some professional careers's advice before making a final decision. Being able to get your med science degree is not something to be dismissed lightly. If you are on a low income you may be eligible for a grant for post grad study anyway, look at www.studentfinance.ie for income thresholds etc.Local Authority will cover €6500 of fees for post grad. The govt is tightening the requirements for mature students all the time it would not be easy to study living on just a student grant. Would you be eligible to get career advice from careers service in UCD, they will be experts on post grad courses for social work. Have you looked at NI etc.

Think carefully before proceeding. Good luck with your decision.

C

Good advice, thanks. I've spoken to a lot of career advisors in the past and tbh I don't find them that helpful. I know what I want to do it's just the financial constraints that are holding me back. I have money saved up but its not going to be able to pay 6,000 or so in fee's every year. Though maybe I will ask the social work departments themselves if the BA or MA route is best.

I know I definitely will not be eligible for a grant for post grad study as once I get the med science degree I will have to wait three years before being assessed independently of my parents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

can you get your med science degree at a later stage?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement