Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Year - New Car ......

• 27-12-2010 9:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭

I have to change cars for the new year ... I need to get something practical and efficient ... I will be at least doubling my mileage next year to about 30,000-40,000km, have a nipper and the missus has plans on more :o plus a big dog and I have plans for more ;)

I have narrowed it down to either the Passat Estate or Skoda Superb Combi in my head. I haven't driven either yet, will be doing so in the new year. Has anyone any real experience with either?

The only other estates I have thought about have been the Volvo V70, but out of my budget especially when spec'ed as I would like.

I need toys and plenty of buttons in the motor, it's a bit of OCD really and it has to be a 2011 reg (other reasons I will not go in to).

Anything obvious I am missing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Facelifted Mondeo? Titanium X diesel with the powershift gearbox would be a nice wagon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Superb estate is a way better car than the new Passat. The new Highline has not cruise control as standard which is a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Give us your top price and we can do a bit more advising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

ninty9er wrote: »
    Give us your top price and we can do a bit more advising.

Bollocks to that.

SKODA!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

i love these threads where nobody sets a price :

Landcruiser amazon , M5 touring , Range Rover Kahn

but realistically :

Kia sorento , bmw 530d touring , passat 2.0tdi estate with the DSG box (im sad we dont sell the 3.6 v6 petrol 4motion one here)

preference on the beamer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dutchie

Sounds very familiar. I do 30-40k a year. One kid, under pressure for number 2 ;), 2 dogs. Ive had BM's, Audi's and one Lexus.

I bit the bullet this year. Bought an 08 Passat estate 2.0 140bhp DSG.

Pros: Space, Comfort, Equipment, DSG, Sound System, Seats, fuel consumption
    Cons: Handling, Looks (Looks like you've given up on Life!!), Image, street Cred.

I landed it from the UK for 22K VRT paid.

highly recommend one.
    I had a Mondeo for a week during service, hated it, absolutely no comparison, Passat beats it hands down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭whippet

Just realised I didn't give a budget (although saying v70 was out of budget and considering superb / passat might have been a hint)

Depending on what I get for the golf I will have between €30-€35k ..remember the car has to be new

The plan is to have this as a keeper and in year or two get myself something silly as a weekend car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would have thought this was a no brainer. The Skoda is a newer design, bigger, better equipped and cheaper to buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 mrbig73

Am in a similiar boat myself! My BIIIIIGGGGGG concern with the Skoda, apart from street cred, is that I will lose my nuts on it over the next 18 months and will be worth v little when I go to change!

As a matter of interest, if the 2011 reg wasnt a huge issue, would a 2010 A6 be a better option? Or anyone try an A5 Sportsback?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

mrbig73 wrote: »
    Am in a similiar boat myself! My BIIIIIGGGGGG concern with the Skoda, apart from street cred, is that I will lose my nuts on it over the next 18 months and will be worth v little when I go to change!

As a matter of interest, if the 2011 reg wasnt a huge issue, would a 2010 A6 be a better option? Or anyone try an A5 Sportsback?

Are you the chap looking to rid yourself of a 5 series due to the weather?

Anyway, imo I think the Skodas have a decent resale value if well looked after, and having been in a few Superbs I think they are a great car in that market.

• Advertisement

Hahah±!!!! Thats me alright! Well technically I wanna get rid of the 5 series cos I've had it two yrs and a bit bored of it, but the snow will be a consideration in my new car! lol

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

mrbig73 wrote: »
    Hahah±!!!! Thats me alright! Well technically I wanna get rid of the 5 series cos I've had it two yrs and a bit bored of it, but the snow will be a consideration in my new car! lol

Well compared to the Passat, I'd be a fan of the Superb :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

why does it have to be brand spanking new? its nuts buying a brand new car, any one with half a brain would buy a 2 year old car every-time for half the price it was when it was brand new and still have a car that is basically only run in for you.if i where you id get a 520d msport touring.

Would agree on the new front, although sometimes employers insist on certain conditions if you are receivign a car allowance. What about a passat cc? Great looking car, with a good spec. Am sure you could pick up a demo model by March or April

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

Everything you could get with the Passat , you can also get with the Superb......but the Superb costs less , is bigger (rear leg room is huge) and is better quality.

I was thinking the same about 2 years ago , but lots of bad stories about Passat reliability (mostly fuel pump problems) made me avoid VW.

Going by the old Superb's (and most other Skodas) high ratinings in the JD power survey , and positive reader reviews on Whatcar.com , I bought a Superb (2.0 TDI 170 Elegance saloon.......also a hatchback)

It's a great car.Wouldn't want anything else.........mabey something slightly better equipped , like a BMW 7 series or an S -class Merc.....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Passat CC upto late this year was a 4 seater only, it only became a 5 seater recently with a minor facelift. Due to it's coupe stance rear head room is very tight. They are also rare enough but there are a few low mileage 2010 models for sale on carzone.

Should be able to get a good deal on the current Audi A6 as there is a new model due sometime in the new year so dealers will be keen to shift current stock. Volvo S60/V60 might be worth a look at too.

bmw535d wrote: »
    why does it have to be brand spanking new? its nuts buying a brand new car, any one with half a brain would buy a 2 year old car every-time for half the price it was when it was brand new and still have a car that is basically only run in for you.if i where you id get a 520d msport touring.

Anyone with half a brain should also be able to work out that if nobody bought new cars there would be no 2 year old cars for others to buy.....

To clarify again ...buy new is the only option for some reasons I don't want to go in to here. If I could buy secondhand I would be going 530d touring

The passat cc can't really accommodate a dog and a child or two ....hence I said estate.

I will be taking both the VW and the skoda for a spin as soon as I can .... But is there any other marque I am over looking ? Mondeo was mentioned earlier but I have a brother who has had a few mondeos and to be honest I could ever get to like them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Don't for the love of God get a Passat. Did you know that Passat is actually German for boring? Plus they're overrated, not comfortable and suffer from mediocre reliability. Hateful soulless overrated cars! If you're not interested in the Mondeo I'd be looking at wagon versions of the Honda Accord, Skoda Superb, Citroen C5, Renault Laguna (surprisingly good cars), Mazda 6 and the Insignia, if you like it, which I don't. There's also the option of the Peugeot 5007 which is getting great reviews and seems to mark the long awaited return to form for Peugeot. I've never driven one though so can't comment further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

Anyone with half a brain should also be able to work out that if nobody bought new cars there would be no 2 year old cars for others to buy.....

no you see you let the well of idiots buy them, take a massive hit on the first two years then you yoink them off them for half the price, you understand now? if there where no idiots there would be no smart people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

you could get a 320d touring for that, doing that kind of mileage, fuel consumption would be a big issue for me. One thing is for sure, you could get a 2/3 year old car for nearly half the price!

no you see you let the well of idiots buy them, take a massive hit on the first two years then you yoink them off them for half the price, you understand now? if there where no idiots there would be no smart people.

I don't know if this is a slight at me or what .. but there are many reasons why a new car is the only option. For me it is for tax work reasons.

The best of buying new is that you always get the car you want ... the combinations of colour, engine, toys and option.

Anyway .. the secondhand V8 will be purchased in a couple of years .. the estate will purely be a functional device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

Go for the Superb, more room than the passat and a lot more bang for your buck. If you can get the heated front windscreen, my favourite extra on the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Let me get this right
    You say if there are no idiots there would be no smart people..!!

if there were no smart people then there would be nobody educated enough to have the jobs only smart people have so therefore there would be no second hand cars for the idiots that buy them with no warranty etc. :pac:

Anyhow
    Back on topic
    F**k your VW.. I have a Skoda outside :P

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

If the new Passat is as reliable as the last one.............walk away.

That B6 yoke at work is now going up for sale shortly. The engine is great, it's light on juice, it's comfy. It also has a penchant for garages and oil. Nightmare.

The Skoda should hold it's value at least at as well, and possibly better, than any Passat. Those Who Know, Know :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

that volvo does not look bad but a 1.6L 115bhp engine in that car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

pajero12 wrote: »

I know its an estate but they still aren't exactly spacious and certainly not a match for the others mentioned as it's from a class below them.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭THE LINK WALSH

If the op listens to the advice of this thread he wont pass a Skoda Superb Estate,ive driven the saloon/hatchback version 170bhp,a class motor car for the money,miles ahead of a Passat,mondeo,6,Insignia etc.Ive driven a V50 a few times too,half the room of a Superb for the same money.

Would you consider an Octavia Scout OP?,its a fine robust looking motor with what im told are decent 4wd capabilities,beat the snow and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

throw the insignia tourer into the ring aswell

The V50 is out of the equation ... It is pokey inside and the boot isn't worth talking about, the V70 on the other hand is more like it but just a little pricey when you go about getting what you want on it.

I have been doing more reading and fluting about online and I reckon the superb really is the front runner. I am going to see if I can sort out a drive over the next few days and then it will be time to start horsetrading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Another VW - Skoda thread. It's like asking whether you paint your walls beige or cream.

What about a Mazda 6?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

whippet wrote: »
    The V50 is out of the equation ... It is pokey inside and the boot isn't worth talking about, the V70 on the other hand is more like it but just a little pricey when you go about getting what you want on it.

The Superb is a better car than the current V70 for cheaper. I'd certainly go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭benj

Go for Passat with chrome roof rails :cool::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

pajero12 wrote: »

Wouldn't buy it with your money! So under powered not even funny.

I'd look at a Mazda 6 estate aswell as the Passat.

• Advertisement

Subaru Forester TD X

Lists at €35,995. Subaru dealers aren't the busiest people so would likely cut some slack on the price. Perfect for 2 dogs and a bit of height for getting 2 kids in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Get the superb estate, but subtly pimp it out
    skodasuperbestate1.jpg
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭benj

vw_passat_estate_500-333.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Passat is ugly compared to the Superb above..That is very nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

OP I have a Skoda superb for the last 9 months or so and love it. I have had Audi, BMW, Volvo, VW, Opel, Ford and many others over the last 20 years and the Skoda has impressed me more than any other car I have driven/owned. Its not perfect but for your circumstances it is very close.
    I havent driven a Insigna Tourer yet but they look great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I've driven everything available in that class and price range, this year, and there is only one place I'd be heading - straight to the Skoda dealership for a 170 Elegance Combi with 18's and Sports Suspension.

The Insignia Estate is a cracking looking motor, and I love the remote tailgate on the SE / Elite, but it just doesn't drive as well as the Superb and the ecoFLEX technology has deadend the performance.

Haven't driven the facelifted Mondeo yet to see if the engine changes have robbed that of any performance (but have a Powershift Estate due next week), but I've never really warmed to this generation Mondeo, despite having owned the previous 2 incarnations. This just feels too cumbersome.

Drove a V70 2.0d SE recently enough and even that isn't a patch on the Superb. Only Volvo that would make me think twice would be the V60 D3, but that's quite a bit over budget if you go for anything comparable specification wise. 40,500 for an SE before you even get to metallic or delivery.

I think it is down to the superb at the moment alright, I just don't get the insignia and when you go spec for spec the Skoda seems to win every time.

The problem now is getting my hands on one for a test drive and nose around .... most dealers are not open this week and there isn't a whole lot of the combis around in the first place.

Since that is more or less decided I now have to see if I can sell the GTI ...:o .. to be fair getting rid of the GTI will be like loosing a child, I have it over three years from new and I have never once regretted parting with the cash for it. It ticked every box for me at the time and after 50k miles to think it still makes me smile on every journey.

I'll get the estate and then in a year or two I will need a V8 of some description for the weekends .... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

have you thought about the new V60 ? I'm not sure where it would be on size - but I certainly think it looks good.

http://www.volvocars.com/ie/all-cars/volvo-v60/Pages/default.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

TMC in Navan seem to have a few options in stock. Hatch will be very similar to the Combi to drive if no one has a Combi demo. Should be a static Combi to have a look around though. Not sure if they are open until the New Year though.

The New Pilsen Auto's website isn't up yet, but they were getting deliveries before Christmas. They are the newly appointed dealer in Ballymount.

Are you Dublin based or elsewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭D_BEAR

I like the look of the new passat compared to the old one.

Volkswagen-Passat_Estate_2011_800x600_wallpaper_06.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

^ best looking skoda ever :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Yawn - why do people always insist on Skoda's?!!!!!!!

Someone comes in asking for a supermini and the recommendation is a Skoda. Someone comes in looking for a €300k car and the recommendation is a Skoda!!!!!

BTW OP - buy a Skoda! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

D_BEAR wrote: »
    I like the look of the new passat compared to the old one.

Volkswagen-Passat_Estate_2011_800x600_wallpaper_06.jpg

Certainly a chance of direction from Volkswagen - it does look quite similar to something else though, I can't think what! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

If you want something different :
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201019197950770

Not everyones cup of tea perhaps but at least it's not a Superb/Passat. The boardsies here are as conservative as their parents who bought Corollas/Carinas.

Mind you, I don't think currency exchange rates are helping Jap-manufactured cars right now...

pburns wrote: »
    If you want something different :
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201019197950770

Not everyones cup of tea perhaps but at least it's not a Superb/Passat. The boardsies here are as conservative as their parents who bought Corollas/Carinas.

Mind you, I don't think currency exchange rates are helping Jap-manufactured cars right now...

I was going to suggest that but i suggested the Forester instead as the Legacy is €42k in top spec. You could get a lower spec one, but what's the point?

• Advertisement
Advertisement