Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Year - New Car ......

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Shane732 wrote: »
    Yawn - why do people always insist on Skoda's?!!!!!!!

There is a very good reason behind it. They are very good cars, and offer much better value for money in practically all area's, if you can get over the badge.

For example, see below.
    pburns wrote: »
    If you want something different :
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201019197950770

Not everyones cup of tea perhaps but at least it's not a Superb/Passat. The boardsies here are as conservative as their parents who bought Corollas/Carinas.

Mind you, I don't think currency exchange rates are helping Jap-manufactured cars right now...

That's a lovely looking car, and the AWD will overcome all that the weather conditions throw at you (C&R were delighted with the snow/ice over the last few weeks), but a used 1 year old Subaru with a fairly spartan interior can't really compete value for money wise with a similally priced brand new Superb Elegance with full leather, Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Heated Front and Rear Seats and self park, can it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

I personally like Honda Accord Tourer a lot more than the Passat and Scoda estates mentioned here so far. Honda's reliability, very practical and and low center of gravity to make the drive interesting. The only bad thing that I can think of is that this particular model came out in 2008, and is halfway thru it's life-cycle - so I would imagine a new model out in 3-4 years.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/honda/accord-tourer-2008

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

R.O.R wrote: »
    There is a very good reason behind it. They are very good cars, and offer much better value for money in practically all area's, if you can get over the badge.

For example, see below.

That's a lovely looking car, and the AWD will overcome all that the weather conditions throw at you (C&R were delighted with the snow/ice over the last few weeks), but a used 1 year old Subaru with a fairly spartan interior can't really compete value for money wise with a similally priced brand new Superb Elegance with full leather, Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Heated Front and Rear Seats and self park, can it?

I'm not really into toys. Have heated seats in current Legacy for example and never use them. Makes me feel like I've wet myself:o. Same for integrated sat-nav (neater than a Tom-Tom but overpriced no matter what the make) and self-park (gimmick, Legacy has reversing sensors anyway).

Leather would be a big plus and I'm not even sure it's available. Bluetooth would be nice also, granted. AWD trumps most of those fripperies though, especially if we have more winters similar to this one.

I can see the appeal of the Superb (less so the Passat). It does seem great value for money. And Subaru have had some big price rises in the last 18 months or so that are hurting them at the moment. However I just don't buy cars by comparing spec lists on Excel...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭whippet

it's the OP back again.

I have done quite a bit of reading and thinking over the last week.

And this has tickled my fancy, its a new motor so 2011 reg:

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Skoda/Superb/2.0-TDI-/201049200462698/advert?channel=CARS

To me it seems to start horse trading to see what I can get.

anyone have any experience with the dealer in question?

Anyone hazzard a guess at what I should be offering him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Don't know pricewise but they are a very good dealer to do business with. Established a long time too. Father bought his car there, my sister bought her last one there. Never any problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

whippet wrote: »
    it's the OP back again.

When I was pricing my Octavia vRS some months back, I got a "very best" price from them with no trade in involved.. through recommendations here I contacted E.Tarrant and got a price which beat Deasy's by a long shot.
    Give them a ring ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

it's the OP back again.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Skoda/Superb/2.0-TDI-/201049200462698/advert?channel=CARS

Looks like a 170 Ambition Combi with Metallic to me. €30,000 on the road gives you a good deal, and there's something in it for the dealer at that level. €31,030 is the ex. works with metallic and delivery on top - not huge amounts of discount on Skoda's.
    vectra wrote: »
    When I was pricing my Octavia vRS some months back, I got a "very best" price from them with no trade in involved.. through recommendations here I contacted E.Tarrant and got a price which beat Deasy's by a long shot.
    Give them a ring ;)

+1 - Speak to Eamonn (if you understand "local") or Sharon (if your Banteer accent isn't great) in Tarrants on 029 56014. They should have an Elegance Combi to have a look at, not sure about anything available from stock.

R.O.R wrote: »
    Looks like a 170 Ambition Combi with Metallic to me. €30,000 on the road gives you a good deal, and there's something in it for the dealer at that level. €31,030 is the ex. works with metallic and delivery on top - not huge amounts of discount on Skoda's.

+1 - Speak to Eamonn (if you understand "local") or Sharon (if your Banteer accent isn't great) in Tarrants on 029 56014. They should have an Elegance Combi to have a look at, not sure about anything available from stock.

At the moment I am getting a price of €17k + GTI to change.

I am assuming they are allowing about €14k for the golf.

Privately I would only expect to get about €15k in real life for the Golf, so its not a million miles away.

Now to get the phone out and start doing a bit of hard balling, I have cash waiting and a car to get rid of, so a dealer who wants rid can have a deal done by the weekend !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

it's the OP back again.

Thats only a Ambition spec Try to get yourself an Elegance as the spec is far better including leather, sat nav nicer alloys etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

maddness wrote: »
    Thats only a Ambition spec Try to get yourself an Elegance as the spec is far better including leather, sat nav nicer alloys etc.

I wouldnt use Deasys anyway. They screwed a mate of mine on another issue. OP try Tarrant in Banteer he has a demo one. Well Eamon is driving it himself..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Would be bothered myself with Deasys either When looking at a Car last year called into them was promised call back and emails but nothing was heard back which in my book says a lot about the dealership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

We're in the market for an estate at the moment, and I like the look of the Opel, but have read on honestjohn's website that their diesels are based on the old 1.9 Fiat ones which used to give a lot of trouble. Is reliability still an issue with the current models?
    I don't really want to find myself coming out of Tesco's and wondering which of the 50 black/silver/grey passats out there, is my black/silver/grey passat. :D
    and before someone says it, yes I looked at the superb but thought the dash looked very dated.

It's the OP back ......

I've ordered the car today :D

Superb Combi Elegance 2.0L TDI 170bhp in Rosso Brunello with black leather.

....now to sell the GTI ...anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

It's the OP back ......

Specs? Know somebody who might be intrested

It's the OP back ......

Well done!. Did ya get a good price of tarrant??

• Advertisement

Specs? Know somebody who might be intrested

it's 07-D, 5 Door, Black, DSG, 54000 miles, FVWSH, MultiFunction Steering Wheel, ipod connection, Black Leather, original 17" Wheels, Fairly new GoodYear Eagle F1 DS-G3 225/45/R17. In excellent nick, never tracked or raced. I've owned it from new!!!

I don't have photos, will have to give it a good valet before I get it up properly !!

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Well done!. Did ya get a good price of tarrant??

I went with a Dublin dealer in the wind up, I had called Tarrant's but never got a call back! Bad form and I don't do second phone calls !!

The price at the moment is good but I still haven't stopped the negotiations ;)

Kinda looking forward to it, It was a massive decision to swap the GTI for it, I love the Golf, it hasn't given me a single problem, puts a smile on my face every mile for the last three years and did some great road trips around the UK in it !!!! .... I think I am trying to talk myself out of selling it now !!

I went with a Dublin dealer in the wind up, I had called Tarrant's but never got a call back! Bad form and I don't do second phone calls !!

The price at the moment is good but I still haven't stopped the negotiations ;)

Kinda looking forward to it, It was a massive decision to swap the GTI for it, I love the Golf, it hasn't given me a single problem, puts a smile on my face every mile for the last three years and did some great road trips around the UK in it !!!! .... I think I am trying to talk myself out of selling it now !!

Youll sell that Golf no bother. +1 on the phonecall its not 2006 anymore.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

it's 07-D, 5 Door, Black, DSG, 54000 miles, FVWSH, MultiFunction Steering Wheel, ipod connection, Black Leather, original 17" Wheels, Fairly new GoodYear Eagle F1 DS-G3 225/45/R17. In excellent nick, never tracked or raced. I've owned it from new!!!

I don't have photos, will have to give it a good valet before I get it up properly !!

Can you pm me photos if you have any? Im a vague maybe...need details on condition...and I'm very pedantic...Dirty pics are fine tbh (of the car) :p

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭J77

It's the OP back ......

Good stuff! How long will you be waiting? Be sure to throw up a few pics when it arrives!

How did you find the power comparison versus the GTI? Does it feel big and heavy or is there sufficient power from the 170?

• Advertisement
Advertisement