Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A First Gaming Build - Help/Advice needed

Options
  • 27-12-2010 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭

Basically, I'm constructing a build purely for gaming. I'm on a budget of up to 800 euro (including shipping fees). I'm hoping it'll be quite powerful and capable of running most -if not all- games at a good standard.

I'm pretty new to this so I was hoping I could get some advice or suggestions on the build.

So far I've come up with this:

CPU: Intel Core i5-760 Box 819Kb, LGA1156 172.44 euro

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3L, Intel P55, ATX, DDR3, PCI-Express 79.79
    Not too sure about this, since in the specs it says its only compatible with Windows 7 and I'm currently using Vista as my OS. I suppose that means its completely incompatible with vista. Hoping someone can confirm this.

RAM: 4GB-Kit G-Skill RipJaws PC3-12800U CL7 68.37
    Mainly picked it due to it being DDR3 and because of its memory speed (1600MHz)

Video/Graphics Card: XFX RADEON HD 6850 775M 1GB DDR5 DP HDMI DUAL DVI PCI-E 163.89
    Mainly picked this as it supports DirectX11 so its somewhat future proof for upcoming games. Quick confirmation on this, I'm assuming directx11 is backwards compatible?

Harddrive: Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB, SATA II (HD502HJ) 35.29

PSU: Cooler Master GX Series PSU - 650 Watt 71.29
    Picked this but might reconsider. I've heard a lot of people say the corsair power supplies are pretty damn solid. What do you think? Also was wonderin' if a 550 watt would be enough or should I just stick with 650.

Monitor: Looking over at pixmania and saw these two monitors
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/6795205/art/acer/x223hqbbmd-21-5-wide-tft.html#pix-review
    or
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/5985013/art/acer/s221hqlbid-21-5-tft-scree.html#pix-review
    Both are on sale around 100-105 euro, 21.5", 1920 x 1080p. Last monitor broke (wasn't very good anyway) so a monitor is essential. Tbh I'd be happy with a 1280 x 1080 res monitor, so any suggestions would be cool.

CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 11 GT 6.30

Case and dvd burner: For the case I was hoping to use my old one Gigabyte Triton 180. Not too sure if it can fit all the components but it should be able to. Its ATX format.
    As for the DvD Burner I'm not really too sure what to look for. I could probably use my old one but I don't think it supports both DVD+R and DVD-R. Any suggestions here would be great.

Excluding the case and dvd burner, everything sums up to just over 700 euro. Does this build go well together? Is their anything I could be overlooking? Are there certain components I should be putting more or less money towards?

Any suggestions or advice would really be appreciated. Won't be ordering anything til about mid January anyway so theres plenty of time for any changes. Hopefully I can put together a capable enough build by then.

Comments

Advertisement