Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Press Release

Options
  • 27-12-2010 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am about to start writing a press release for my new company. Before i start i thought i'd try and get some insight as to the best way to go about it. I'm a first timer...

Should it be brief and to the point or should i go into some detail?

Has anyone experienced this before, if so, all advice will be welcome.

Thanks

Moggie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

best idea is to use a decent PR service.

I'd recommend Piaras Kelly www.pkellypr.com

I have dealt with him in the past - I work as a photographer - he was very professional and very prepared for everything.

Have you considered doing something to highlight the launch - for the media to have some "reason" to print it....instead of a few words in an email.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭moggie4000

PCPhoto wrote: »
    best idea is to use a decent PR service.

I'd recommend Piaras Kelly www.pkellypr.com

I have dealt with him in the past - I work as a photographer - he was very professional and very prepared for everything.

Have you considered doing something to highlight the launch - for the media to have some "reason" to print it....instead of a few words in an email.
    Can i ask roughly what does he charge?

I think all the local papers will print it as it's a good news story for the local area, it might be worth having a proper launch for the national papers etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Hiring a PR pro for a one-off release shouldn't cost you more than a few hundred. For that fee they should advise you on what publications they will be sending the release to and their contact at that publication, write the release and more importantly follow up all the releases with a phone call to ask their contact if they will be running it and if they need any info like a photo or an
    interview with you.

If you are going to write it yourself then you should include the 5 w's in the first paragraph - who, where, what, when and why.
    The second paragraph should give more in-depth information on the above but try and be consise. Finish off with background info on you and/or your
    Company.

If you want someone to check it before you send it through then I'd be happy to help.

Call up all the local newspapers and get the name, email address and
    Phone number for the News Editor. Try and speak to them and ask them
    If they'd be interested in your story and if there is any special angle they'd like you to include.
    Remember that most journos are overworked, underpaid and unloved. Try and make their life easier for them and they might just run it.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tangled

A few tips I've picked up from doing press releases:

1. Treat it like a news journalism story. Snappy headline, captivating opening paragraph, get all the details in early. Less important information as you go down so that if it's chopped to fit into a space you won't lose any of the main points.

2. Include (high res) photos. If sending to a few local papers attach different photos to each email so they don't end up printing the same story with the same photos.

3. As said, call up and get the contact name and let that person know you'll be sending it in. If it's of local interest and you think they'll use it then they'll look out for it and make sure it gets seen to.

4. Also as previously said, make the journalist's work as easy as possible and it'll be much more likely to be included. As a courtesy, follow up with a thank you call afterwards and they'll remember you the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭mikefm

I found the following useful when undertaking the same task recently;
    http://www.sbpost.ie/mediaandmarketing/media-world-50564.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭byrne0f56789

Make sure you have a story behind it. Don't just do a promo.

Look at what's in the news and tie your release into that. Have yourself quoted with the background of your business after the quote.

If you are launching, I recommend PRWeb and Newswire to submit your release to. You get a great SEO kick from these as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭mikefm

I agree. The story is most important - look for an angle on something topical e.g. economy, political change, new jobs, weather etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 easypr

mikefm wrote: »
    I agree. The story is most important - look for an angle on something topical e.g. economy, political change, new jobs, weather etc.

These are some press release writing tips, you can follow when writing it:

1> Make sure the first 10 words of your release are effective, as they are the most important. Your title and initial lines should briefly and directly convey what you want to say.
    2> Think like the reader - Your press release should be able to keep the reader’s interest.
    3> Make it relevant - Try to point out real examples to support the message you want to communicate
    4> Support your story with real fact - Facts make your point stronger and tell the journalist you’ve already done much of the research for them.
    5> Provide as much Contact information as possible - like address, phone, fax, email, Web site address etc.
    6> Get permission - Companies can be defensive about their name and image. its your duty to get written permission before including information or quotes from officials or associates of other companies/organizations.
    7> Make it very easy - The harder your press release is to understand for journalists and laymen, the less likely it is to be picked up. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

I can tell you from experience of putting Local News into my Local newspaper years ago that Local Papers run on a misers budget.

That means that if presented right they will print anything that they deem newsworthy especially if they get the info for free.

Even if they have no room for it one week then they could run with it the following week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 easypr

Press release writing is a crucial task for content writers. The type of contents in a press release is completely different from other content formats. So, in order to write effective press releases, writer needs to learn the basic differences and the necessities of a press release.

Press releases have a definite format having universal acceptance. So, before moving towards the other in-depth details of how to write perfect press release, it is important to know the format. Press release writers should visit some of the prestigious press release submission website, and have a look over the suggested format by them.

~Snip~

• Advertisement
Advertisement