Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble connecting xbox to a pc using ethernet on UPC routher.

• 27-12-2010 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a new Xbox 360 slim and I am trying to connect it to my windows 7 pc.
    I have successfully been able to connect it over the wireless network, but when I connect the xbox 360 Ethernet cable to the same (UPC cisco) routher it cannot see the Media Center although it can see the pc sometimes. The pc is connected by wireless.

I have turned off all firewalls on the pc and routher and enabled upnp on the routher and start all the needed services and ports suggested by microsoft.

Can anyone suggest why the xbox can not see the Media Centre with the Ethernet cable. When everything is running over wireless its far to slow.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

emmo16 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a new Xbox 360 slim and I am trying to connect it to my windows 7 pc.
    I have successfully been able to connect it over the wireless network, but when I connect the xbox 360 Ethernet cable to the same (UPC cisco) routher it cannot see the Media Center although it can see the pc sometimes. The pc is connected by wireless.

I have turned off all firewalls on the pc and routher and enabled upnp on the routher and start all the needed services and ports suggested by microsoft.

Can anyone suggest why the xbox can not see the Media Centre with the Ethernet cable. When everything is running over wireless its far to slow.

I've been in this position, spent the bones of a year of using the router looking for ways to get it to work, and concluded that it is simply a crappy device that does not bridge properly between the wired and wireless networks, so wired clients can't see wireless, or vice versa. Wired can see wired, and wireless can see wireless fine, but traffic does not travel between the two, even something so simple as a ping between computers connected via the different means.

Sorry I can't offer anything more optimistic or helpful, but having seen this issue crop up frequently here, and no solution as yet, you might as well know the lie of the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭emmo16

cython wrote: »
    I've been in this position, spent the bones of a year of using the router looking for ways to get it to work, and concluded that it is simply a crappy device that does not bridge properly between the wired and wireless networks, so wired clients can't see wireless, or vice versa. Wired can see wired, and wireless can see wireless fine, but traffic does not travel between the two, even something so simple as a ping between computers connected via the different means.

Sorry I can't offer anything more optimistic or helpful, but having seen this issue crop up frequently here, and no solution as yet, you might as well know the lie of the land.

Thanks it looks that way because I have tried everything to get it working. Its only Media centre that is slow when I select movies they stream ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I've had problems with the Cisco from UPC too and found UPC themselves to be absolutely woeful. Ended up giving up on using the wifi at all but at least my ethernet worked.
    Hope you find a way to solve your problems.

Advertisement