Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Plumbers advice needed

Options
  • 27-12-2010 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi, I arrived home on xmas day to find I had no water in the cold tap in the kitchen sink, other homes have. I assume mine is gone as the mains are frozen?!? Water everywhere else seems to be fine. Does this mean the mains into the tank are frozen too? I still have no cold water in the kitchen sink even though a thaw is on! I'm set to go away for afew days and was wondering whats best to do, knock off the water from the garden will this be enough to prevent a burst pipe so I can relax whilst gone and worry about it when I get back or whats my options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Paddy McGinty

Hi Vicks, I'm not a plumber but in the absense of other replies I can tell you what I'd do!

Firstly I don't know what your setup is but will assume it's a conventional system with a large copper cylinder somewhere, perhaps in a cupboard, hot press or up in the loft? Be aware, aside from the relatively small inconvenience of having no water, the ensuing potential damage means you'd be wise to sort this prior to going away for a few days.

Couple of things for sure..

(a) you're unlikely to see evidence of a burst pipe until a thaw occurs, . The frozen water obviously expands and tears the pipe, but "holds" the water as is, until the thaw occurs, then your trouble starts.

(b) it's not unusual to have more than one burst pipe at the same time (I speak from direct experience as I had FIVE last year, with 3 of those being on the same run of pipe!)

Here's what I'd do (assuming you're willing and able to tackle it yourself initially)..

1. Make sure any hot water or immersion heater is turned off and remains off until problem is resolved.

2. Turn off the main stop-cock into the property (if you can - as it could be frozen solid).

3. At the copper cylinder there is (usually) a stop-cock to stop the hot water supply from the tank. If you can find this, turn it fully clockwise to close it.

4. Open the hot and cold taps on any wash basins and bath.

5. Use a common sense approach to locate any visible/accessible pipework between main stop cock and taps you have opened, particularly in areas along exterior walls and especially if any aren't appropriately lagged. Visually check these areas and don't forget up in the loft if cylinder and/or any pipework are up there (check close to air vents if there are any in roof tiles or gable walls etc.

6. Optional - if you don't see any burst apparent, any water still not dripping from any taps, try a warm hairdryer on any exposed sections you found. Aside from trying that, it's a waiting game.

Good luck, just remember to knock those valves off then at least you've done a damage limitation exercise in case a problem does occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Vicks28

Thanks for that paddy, if I turn on the taps will I not drain the tank dry and cause airlocks. Ive had the heating on whick also heats the water was this ok? Ive knocked it off now! Could I actually be lucky enough and not have any burst pipes>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 moonriver10

Vicks28 wrote: »
    Thanks for that paddy, if I turn on the taps will I not drain the tank dry and cause airlocks. Ive had the heating on whick also heats the water was this ok? Ive knocked it off now! Could I actually be lucky enough and not have any burst pipes>

Hi I have a burst pipe in an outside shed, that holds the washing machine and the heating boiler. The burst copper pipe is leaking out through the shed door. There is not hot water from the cold water tap, but there is cold water, this in is both kitchen and bathroom.
    Can i put the washing machine/central heating/immersion on? We cant get a plumber till Wednesday, is there anything we can do in the meantime?

Any advice would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Paddy McGinty

if I turn on the taps will I not drain the tank dry and cause airlocks

Not if you close stop cock coming off tank (step 3). The object of the exercise is to establish where a leak might be and minimise any risks of damage (as a result of a leak). You'd get rid of air once system is filled up again and water purged through all taps etc.

Ive had the heating on whick also heats the water was this ok? Ive knocked it off now! Could I actually be lucky enough and not have any burst pipes>

Do you mean immersion heater or central heating system?.,. as these are effectively two separate systems. It's still possible for CH system to function ok if it's a closed loop system (e.g. combi boiler type setup) even if the water supply was shut off.

Advertisement