Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mosin Nagant 91/30

Options
  • 27-12-2010 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭

just wondering would a rifle such asthe Mosin Nagant 91/30 be restricted?its Calibre is 7.62 x 54R

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

No, not restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

asked about a .303 lee enfield on here before think people said it was restricted? i cant find the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

bazza888 wrote: »
    asked about a .303 lee enfield on here before think people said it was restricted? i cant find the thread

It's not. The Gardai are happy to work with the number stamped on the barrel rather than the widest bore diameter.

cool,many lads using them out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

cool,many lads using them out there?

Few lads in the VCRAI shoot them. Great rifle !

• Advertisement

where do they shoot?midlands?where would you buy one of these rifles iv never seen any in a gunshop apart from 1

where do they shoot?midlands?where would you buy one of these rifles iv never seen any in a gunshop apart from 1

There are sever comps on through out the year in different ranges. Log onto www.VCRAI.com for more info

John at fingal sports http://www.fingalsports.com/ specalises in the area of classics as well as being a gent to deal with. you wont go far wrong contacting him :)

Tell him I sent you :P

I believe this is the page your looking for :)

http://www.fingalsports.com/classic.html

Limited number of the Mosin Nagant 91/30 Rifles dated between 1934 -1943. Calibre 7.62 x 54R.
    These rifles are in very good condition. All numbers matching. Markings on the rifles indicate that they where manufactured in the Tula factory.
    Bores are clean and crisp.
    nagant.jpg
    Mosin Nagant Rifle €385.00
    Photo for illusitartion purposes only
    Actual rifle may differ in colour
    Contact us classic_rifles@fingalsports
    Scope / Mounts
    PU35.jpg

Orinigal PU3.5 Scope/Mount with lens covers: €265.00

what i mean is do you just join vcrai?or would you u have join midlands?

what i mean is do you just join vcrai?or would you u have join midlands?

No, as far as im aware you will also need to be a member of an authorised range as the VCRAI is an association of like minded members from different ranges who meet up to shoot there clasic rifles.

Even if you didnt need to be a member or a range I would reccomend it as youll still want somewhere to practice, zero and meet up with other shooters other than the classic rifle shoots.

• Advertisement

i am a member of a range but you couldnt fire that there,i was just wondering how it works with the vcrai and were the rifles restricted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Hi Baz,

The lads have all the bases covered before me :cool:

I shoot a NO.4, MK1, 1941, Long Branch, Lee Enfield, in .303", supplied by John at Fingal Sports.

It's not a restricted licence.

I'm also a member of VCRAI.

Classic rifle shooting is a great discipline and I love it :)

i am a member of a range but you couldnt fire that there,i was just wondering how it works with the vcrai and were the rifles restricted

Funny you hould mention that :):):):):)

Im not too sure about the Mosin nagant but enfields can be got in .22 as well.

I from chattin to the lads if there were enough classic .22 owners in the club they would be interested in starting a .22 comp. Id even buy a .22 for that !

i asked john about that as its what i was originally interested in getting but he said they are hard to find in good condition and any hes got before have been very expensive

i asked john about that as its what i was originally interested in getting but he said they are hard to find in good condition and any hes got before have been very expensive

Did he say how much ???

If there not in great condition but you can get 1 for peanuts it could be worth your while having it reconditioned ( if you really wanted it but didnt want to change range)

i cant remember how much he said now,ill have to have a look round and chat with people at the club see if any of them are in vcrai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

The only Enfield I heard of in .22lr was €1000 and that was a few years ago :eek: Would love one myself :cool:

The only Enfield I heard of in .22lr was €1000 and that was a few years ago :eek: Would love one myself :cool:

Really sorry that i cant remember the site that i saw it on (yes american) in the last week but a guy put up pics of a .22 bolt head and extactor ( for those that dont know the lee enfield .303 bolt head actually screws off) that he picekd up for a song.

He did mention that the 2 piece firing pin was missing (possible because it was off center)

It could be possible for a dealer to buy as cheap as possible .303 recievers and convert them (if there was enough interest) to .22 (a new barrel could be easily sourced) if a a full conversion kit was available.

john said something along those lines about getting a 303 and boring it out and sleeving it in .22,anyone on here have one in 22?

john said something along those lines about getting a 303 and boring it out and sleeving it in .22,anyone on here have one in 22?

IME the best way to get the mose out of a conversion would be to have the full kit.

The H&K G3, FN FAL and to some extent AR platform rifles are simular.

In the case of the G3 and FAL (being 7.62 and having a design that an insert could be places into the barrel) the bold was removed and an insert placed into the barrel, the bolt was and magazine was replaced with a dedicated .22 conversion part.

an example for the G3 series rifle is... http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-German-G3-22-caliber-Conversion-Kit-B-Grade-9p1147.htm

If it doesnt make sense, the long sleve sits into the barrel, the bolf carrier is replaced with a dedicated .22 carried as well as the magazine. In total ive a mate saying that it takes him 1-2 minutes to convert it over.

Fortunatly/Unfottunatly I have a G3 licenced here, but the kits themselves would be classed as a firearm so a seperate (restricted because of the high mag capacity) licence would be required.

In the case of a .303, if a kit could be sourced it would be easy to have a barrel manufacturer duplicate the barrel in .22 (send them off the blank and tell them what you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

what about the norinco jw 25 , i seen one somewhere just can't remember where , its a copy of the training rifle as used by the germans in the 30's and can be had for very little.

http://www.marstar.ca/gf-norinco/22-JW-25A.shtm

they're supposed to be ok and for such a small price it does the job as an interesting plinker.

Mr.Flibble wrote: »

Cool, Currently 550 euro !!
    rowa wrote: »
    what about the norinco jw 25 , i seen one somewhere just can't remember where , its a copy of the training rifle as used by the germans in the 30's and can be had for very little.

http://www.marstar.ca/gf-norinco/22-JW-25A.shtm

they're supposed to be ok and for such a small price it does the job as an interesting plinker.

The Norinco stuff if be weary of. There M14S (advertised above the .22)can be bought for under €800 in europe. They are (as i was thinking of getting 1 I red up alot bout them) sh!te !

There ammo is supposed to be very good though !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Anyone considering a Mosin must read the following comparison between the Mosin, the AK and the AR.

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinHumor.htm

Buddy of mine christened his new M-N last weekend. The comment about the 2x4 is accurate. (Actually, most of them are).

[Edit] Come to think of it, I wonder if the M-N doesn't pose an interesting problem. Some (eg M44s) were designed and sighted to be fired with the bayonet mounted in position. Does that pose any particular issues?]

NTM

thats a good one manic!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

I remember firing .22 Lee Enfields in the FCA in 1978, all dumped off the Cork coast, what a waste!!
    Also remember packing up NO4 Mk I and MkIIs to go to Dublin, I believe the best of them went to the states for £10 each, saw 10 rifles still wrapped and in cosmoline, these are now making over $1,000 each in the states, unfired, again what a waste, the best went to the States and Canada to dealers and thousands went to a watery grave off the Cork coast, the best of these were made in Fazakerly in the early '50s, great rifles.

yes iv heard that before!i was reading up about them found a site from newzealand whee they wee going to dump and scrap all the .22 tainers there cadet force had,the rifle associations all lobbied the government and they sold them to the public then instead!

found link its nea the end of the page
    http://www.rifleman.org.uk/Enfield_Rifle_No.8.html

How's this for semi auto me arse, you'll notice he is using his middle finger on the trigger allowing thumb and first finger to operate the bolt, in WW1 the Germans initially thought they were up against many more machine guns that the brits had because of their "mad minute" training

• Advertisement

Savage93 wrote: »
    How's this for semi auto me arse, you'll notice he is using his middle finger on the trigger allowing thumb and first finger to operate the bolt, in WW1 the Germans initially thought they were up against many more machine guns that the brits had because of their "mad minute" training

OOOPPS here's the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV5pSUlBz18&feature=related

Advertisement