Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mosin Nagant 91/30

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Savage93 wrote: »
    How's this for semi auto me arse, you'll notice he is using his middle finger on the trigger allowing thumb and first finger to operate the bolt, in WW1 the Germans initially thought they were up against many more machine guns that the brits had because of their "mad minute" training

Took a crack at it last weekend with a friend and a stopwatch. Took me 20 seconds for ten aimed shots, which isn't too bad for a bolt-action (Using middle finger). Beat the heck out of my buddy with his Mosin, though in fairness, he had enough difficulty just working the bolt, before worrying about things like where the bolt is in relation to the trigger.

Apparently the record is 37 shots in one minute into a 36" target at 300m. That's hard enough for me to do with an M4.
    How's this for semi auto me arse, you'll notice he is using his middle finger on the trigger allowing thumb and first finger to operate the bolt,

No, he's not. He's taking his index finger away from the bolt and using it on the trigger. With middle finger usage of the trigger, there is no need to let go of the bolt at all.

This guy is doing it correctly.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oh_Dty4TlI

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Bazza,
    If you can get the Enfield do so. Even if you have to wait a year or two and jump through hoops.

There is no comparison between the Nagant's and Enfields. Despite my love of all firearms German (like K98's) I have to give the edge to the Brits when it came to the best bolt action of WWII.

I would recommend a No4 Mk1 - a Long Branch if possible.

There's just no comparison between the two. The Enfield is a quantum leap ahead of the Nagant.

Where can you even get Nagant ammo that's not corrosive?

If you have a chance, have a look at the bolt on the Nagant - kind of scary looking.

The fit and finish is just what you expect from the commies. You know your rifle is original when they varnished over the blueing.

I am looking to buy an Enfield, however, I want one that is either new or unissued. That's a bit hard to come by these days. There's a few out there from the Irish Contract - the one that was delivered and the one that was not.

They seem to be in fair nick, but are getting pricey.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I'll give the Enfield this much, compared to my semi-autos. There ain't a whole hell of a lot to cleaning it.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Bazza,
    I don't know if I would pay €385.00for the Finish version. I do know there's no way I would pay it for the standard Russian firearm.

These firearms go for under $100 in the States - here's a re-arsenalled for $69.
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?groupid=90&name=Russian+1891%2f30+7.62x54R+Mosin+Nagant+Rifles

In the States, many people can just walk into their local dealer and pay $69 and walk out with the rifle. At that cost and with that ease I would say go ahead and pick one or two up. But at this price and the number of hoops you have to jump through - forget it.

A lot of people bad mouth them, including me. However, for close up shots I had no problem hitting targets at 100ya.

Again, have a look at the above image and check out the bolt. It's your eyes and face that will behind the bolt, so if you trust it, fire away. However, for me, the engineering behind this bolt was not something I was willing to bet my life on.

I just checked the site again. They have the K31?!?!?! That is a tack driver. If you can get one of these, forget the Nagant. The K31 is a quantum leap over the Nagant.

Also, the K98 Mauser?!?! Another great gun. Choosing the K98, K31, or Enfield you get more that ten times the gun at maybe twice the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

yes i see what you mean fisma,idont think id go for a nagant anyway!i really like the enfields,there history and look and how good people say they are!ill have have wait afew mths before i apply again for a license anyway,just put in one for a new .22!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭cruisedub1

FISMA wrote: »
    Bazza,
    I don't know if I would pay €385.00for the Finish version. I do know there's no way I would pay it for the standard Russian firearm.

These firearms go for under $100 in the States - here's a re-arsenalled for $69.
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?groupid=90&name=Russian+1891%2f30+7.62x54R+Mosin+Nagant+Rifles

In the States, many people can just walk into their local dealer and pay $69 and walk out with the rifle. At that cost and with that ease I would say go ahead and pick one or two up. But at this price and the number of hoops you have to jump through - forget it.

A lot of people bad mouth them, including me. However, for close up shots I had no problem hitting targets at 100ya.

Again, have a look at the above image and check out the bolt. It's your eyes and face that will behind the bolt, so if you trust it, fire away. However, for me, the engineering behind this bolt was not something I was willing to bet my life on.

I just checked the site again. They have the K31?!?!?! That is a tack driver. If you can get one of these, forget the Nagant. The K31 is a quantum leap over the Nagant.

Also, the K98 Mauser?!?! Another great gun. Choosing the K98, K31, or Enfield you get more that ten times the gun at maybe twice the price.

Any sale through a dealer requires a background check , some states have an instant background check other states have a mandated waiting period up to ten buisness days . Only C & R sales face to face can be made without a background check so you cant just " walk into a dealer ,buy a firearm and walk out with it " .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

FISMA wrote: »
    Bazza,

cruisedub1 wrote: »
    Any sale through a dealer requires a background check , some states have an instant background check other states have a mandated waiting period up to ten buisness days . Only C & R sales face to face can be made without a background check so you cant just " walk into a dealer ,buy a firearm and walk out with it " .

I think that while this thread has evolved from irs origional it is now going off in a tangent.

While the firearms laws and cost comparison in the US are of interest to some perhaps it should be adressed in another thread.

Back on track,

If the OP is interested in a classic rifle then there are several fine examples in the market today. Sure enough each has its own quirk, some are of better quality than others (its to be expected for firearms from certain eras in history) but they all have history.

Back to the restricted/non restricted question....

up to and including .308 is non restricted so (most popular out there) Enfields, Mosin Nagant, K31, MAS 36 Springfield 1903 etc

above .308 is restricted and includes K98, and any semi automatic rifle eg G43, M1, SAFN-49 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

Where can you even get Nagant ammo that's not corrosive?

There is plenty of that available - and although I must admit I have no idea if anyone stocks it in Ireland, I don't see any reason why dealers couldn't order it for you. S & B, Prvi Partzan and Wolf all make non-corrosive 7.62x54R. Also bear in mind that the corrosive surplus ammo is cheap.

Having said that, I'd agree with everything you've said about the Lee Enfield - it's a much nicer rifle than the Nagant, even the Finnish Nagant, which is supposedly the best. I would sell mine and get a Lee Enfield or a K31 in a heartbeat if there was cheap surplus ammo available for either of those rifles. In fact I might do it anyway.

talking of .22 enfields,what other old 22 rifles could you get of that vintage that are fun to shoot and accurate etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

Just love the old BSA Martini!!!!

have you got one?they are mad looking!where would you get something like that here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Kryten wrote: »
    Just love the old BSA Martini!!!!

I knew I should have kept her :D

bazza888 wrote: »
    have you got one?they are mad looking!where would you get something like that here?

He has one..............he got it at the right price too :)

Jim Griffen has a few I believe ;)

where would you get one and what would the cost be like!very expensive im guessing!

These BSA Martinis go for very SMALL money. €150 - €200 would get you an outstanding example

are they a good rifle?why did you get rid of your one?

bazza888 wrote: »
    are they a good rifle?why did you get rid of your one?

From what I've seen of 'em they are very accurate. Bit heavy for hunting. I bought it for some .22 benchrest/prone shooting but I got a .22 pistol instead. Still think I made a mistake :(

Intershoot on here would be worth a chat with if you want one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭blackpowder

hello can anyone please give some advice in getting a classic rifle here in ireland? is it only just the lee enfield versions and the moisin nagant on the market here is importation a long and ardious track for bigger caliber rifles i seen some pretty nice rifles in henry kranks around the 500 hundred stirling mark ( baby rolling block carbine in 357 mag ) is this a huge caliber? does any one shoot martini henry or sniders ect . in ireland thanks for all the information is ammo expensive? :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

These BSA Martinis go for very SMALL money. €150 - €200 would get you an outstanding example

maybe, but the prices have been creeping up steadily,especially the bsa internationals , the americans love them for bench rest and fultons in bisley camp in england have been buying them up and exporting them to the states for a good while now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

does any one shoot martini henry or sniders ect . in ireland thanks for all the information is ammo expensive? :cool:

There are a few that shoot them but without reloading the ammo poses a problem. It's really expensive. Looked at getting some to use with my M-H mkII.

Advertisement