Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connection problems, ping time out

• 27-12-2010 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to run a Minecraft server for me and a few friends. We can all access the internet and we can all play other games, but we can't ping each other or connect to each other.

This only started today. Before this, we could connect without problems.

So far I've tried just about everything.

I've turned off every security feature in the Windows / Cisco router firewalls individually and all together.

I've created extra rules in the firewalls allowing access from my friend's ip.

I've tried release/renew.

I've restarted the router and the pc.

I've also ensured all the right ports are forwarded.

(And to beat anyone to the question... Yes, I am using my router's outgoing IP, not my home network IP)

Funny thing is many of us are on the same ISP (UPC) and all in the 188.141.93.xx range, yet we can't connect.

Any other ideas before I call customer support? At least here people know what they're talking about. It'll probably take the customer care guys an hour to stop 'helping' and just pass me over to the techs... :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

hare05 wrote: »
    I've turned off every security feature in the Windows / Cisco router firewalls individually and all together.

A really, really bad and stupid idea. It should never be necessary to disable all of your security like that, and is such a dangerous thing to do with any computer/modem connected to the Internet.
    hare05 wrote: »
    Any other ideas before I call customer support? At least here people know what they're talking about. It'll probably take the customer care guys an hour to stop 'helping' and just pass me over to the techs... :(

It is against UPC's rules to run a server of any kind, so they will not help you. It could also be why it no longer works, they've shut you down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

jor el wrote: »
    A really, really bad and stupid idea. It should never be necessary to disable all of your security like that, and is such a dangerous thing to do with any computer/modem connected to the Internet.

It is against UPC's rules to run a server of any kind, so they will not help you. It could also be why it no longer works, they've shut you down.

Shutting down the firewall was only for a few minutes to see if anything was interfering. I would then be able to find some solution / exception rule for the specific program. It's all back on now.

I was only running it for about 5 or 6 hours over the course of one week. Besides, blocking access to that server doesn't explain how I can't even ping specifically other UPC customers by the looks of things. Also I can run servers for other games over the public internet and clients can connect (Tested Counter-Strike and TF2), so why only block a small private server for at most 6 people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I don't know why yours has stopped working, or why you can't ping other UPC customers (apart from perhaps UPC has disabled all incoming ping requests to their customers as a security thing), but running a server of any kind is against their policy, and they certainly won't help you to resolve the problem.

Disabling all of your security, even for a short period of time, is still dangerous. I believe the record for an un-firewalled installation of XP to suffer a hack is something like 30 seconds.

Advertisement