Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bitcoin - ###Mod Note in 1st Post - Please Read###

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭rwg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 323 ✭✭hungry hippo 4

usersame wrote: »
    There are a lot of potential causes, you should examine your testicles regularly and go to your GP if you notice any lumps or are in any pain

The physiological difference in positioning which can be perceived as size is due to the difference in venous drainage between the two testicles and whether the testicular vein joins the abdominal aorta directly or if it first joins the renal vein

any thing else?

Hmmm interesting..

ehhh let me see.

Should we be more concerned about the ongoing fukushima disaster?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭xploderz

Is this thread (and bitcoins in general) a load of bollox ^

Is that the angle you're going for? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭usersame

Hmmm interesting..

ehhh let me see.

Should we be more concerned about the ongoing fukushima disaster?

I'm really not sure, but the fact that they are sending in young single Japanese men on literal suicide missions to attempt to control it doesn't bode well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭rwg

http://bitcoinity.org/markets

change: -17.17% high: 878.00 low: 609.46

*gets popcorn*

this is going back to 1200 within a day or 2 - no doubts

• Advertisement

I'm really not sure, but the fact that they are sending in young single Japanese men on literal suicide missions to attempt to control it doesn't bode well

They pump 400 tonnes of contaminated water out of that place everyday! Wait a few years for the cancer and leukaemia rates to soar in Japan.

Here we are waffling about bit coin. We don't have a jaysus clue :pac:

They pump 400 tonnes of contaminated water out of that place everyday! Wait a few years for the cancer and leukaemia rates to soar in Japan.

Here we are waffling about bit coin. We don't have a jaysus clue :pac:

whats bitcoin?

whats bitcoin?

Havent a clue man!

But I can tell you the reason for one of your balls being bigger than the other.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

well done girls, 20 pages and still no explanation!
    pump n' dump. Rinse and repeat

Each "coin" is represented by a big number that's hard to fake.

To generate a new number you have to solve an equation based on the previous numbers found - so you can't skip ahead. Everyone keeps a list of the previous equations and so can verify any of the previous numbers. The first person to get a valid solution wins and all the work done by everyone else is wasted because there's now a new starting point for the next number.

It gets harder over time because "people agree" on the difficulty (yeah that's as mad as it sounds) , eg: the solution must now contain more consecutive 0's.

Over half the coins that could ever exist have been found because the numbers must lie in a certain range.

You have to keep your number secret you can prove you own them because you can solve one of the equations that everyone has stored.

You can buy or sell the numbers, or you can have them stolen or loose them forever.

tl;dr version

here's a list of 60 digit prime numbers
    add them up to give you a new number
    now find a new 60 digit prime number which matches at least N digits with that number

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's mostly used for speculation and transferring money out of China.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

rwg wrote: »
    this is going back to 1200 within a day or 2 - no doubts

Without a doubt, im riding this baby, i brought at $983 this baby will hit $1500 by friday and then im cashing out and going to book a nice holiday for the new year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Without a doubt, im riding this baby, i brought at $983 this baby will hit $1500 by friday and then im cashing out and going to book a nice holiday for the new year.

I hope you're being sarcastic like the fella you're quoting is? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

How much does you invest if you don't mind me asking?
    Are there any issues with selling and cashing out? How long to get euros in my bank account once I decide to sell?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

$517 = €380 less your costs. Send us a postcard from Ballybunion.

mickdw wrote: »
    How much does you invest if you don't mind me asking?
    Are there any issues with selling and cashing out? How long to get euros in my bank account once I decide to sell?

Im trading it with plus500 trading company.
    They have a daily rate which closes everyday.
    You can get 1 to 10 leverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

How are you hedging your risk? You are just buying options right?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Kikin

srsly78 wrote: »

I wouldn't expect any meaningful answers to these questions from bitcoin "investors". Reminds me of all the amateur landlords that started popping up in Ireland around 2002-2006. Taxi drivers with a property portfolio. The mind boggles.

srsly78 wrote: »

Yeah buying options.

Kikin wrote: »
    I wouldn't expect any meaningful answers to these questions from bitcoin "investors". Reminds me of all the amateur landlords that started popping up in Ireland around 2002-2006. Taxi drivers with a property portfolio. The mind boggles.

It's not a money thing for a lot of people, this has potentially to serve humanity

Surely a smug know-it-all like yourself spends half his life complaining about bankers, well bitcoins might well take away the power that central banks have

It's not a money thing for a lot of people, this has potentially to serve humanity

Surely a smug know-it-all like yourself spends half his life complaining about bankers, well bitcoins might well take away the power that central banks have
    You are correct regarding their long term potential as a secure decentralized currency, no problems with that.

The people I'm referring to are amateur investors buying then planning on selling a week later to make a quick buck based on nothing but looking at a graph going up.

• Advertisement

You are correct regarding their long term potential as a secure decentralized currency, no problems with that.

The people I'm referring to are amateur investors buying then planning on selling a week later to make a quick buck based on nothing but looking at a graph going up.

yeah fair enough, they wreck my head too, they've made bits of LTC in a mater of days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,816 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Can someone explain in simple English (for an idiot), how exactly this all works?
    the price is 1039 atm, is that per coin? or how many coins do I get for that?

if I open an account with plus500, how long does it take for me to buy, and also to sell, I assume instant, but are we talking weeks for me to get my money?

I see in 2011 the value of one Bitcoin rapidly rose from about $0.30 to $32, are we now saying it's at $1039:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

And whats wrong with that buddy, very smug, id say your very popular down the pub.

Oh yeah baby up over 5% already since midnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,816 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Oh yeah baby up over 5% already since midnight.

maybe you can answer my question above ?:confused:

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Can someone explain in simple English (for an idiot), how exactly this all works?

if I open an account with plus500, how long does it take for me to buy, and also to sell, I assume instant, but are we talking weeks for me to get my money?

I see in 2011 the value of one Bitcoin rapidly rose from about $0.30 to $32, are we now saying it's at $1039:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
    Yes, the coin that was only a few dollars in 2011 is now at 1000 or so. That is the price of 1 bitcoin but tiny fractions of a coin can be bought and sold.
    Personally, I won't be buying in until we see a major correction.

It only takes a minute to open a account, actually they will give you 25 Eur free if you sign up, no need to give debit/credit details until you fund it by yourself.
    You can take out any money at anytime and should have it within 3 days.
    Try it out with the free 25 Eur you get when you sign up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Everyone that was saying it was a great idea. Is screaming bubble now. Dont buy it.

Up over 9% on the day now, that's a easy 2,100 Eur sine midnight.

• Advertisement

And whats wrong with that buddy, very smug, id say your very popular down the pub.

I don't drink but I think it's a lot more smug to assume bitcoins will rise to x amount on x date (as you did a few posts ago) without giving any reasons why you believe that. And without acknowledging the risk of losing your money. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

I'd strongly suggest reading mackays "madness of crowds" book written in the 1840s and already mentioned in this thread, if you want to learn more about the social psychology behind these bubbles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Filibuster

Bitcoins are totally useless just like Tulips..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

But in essence, isn't it a great bubble? :)

Filibuster wrote: »
    Bitcoins are totally useless just like Tulips..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania

I wouldn't agree they are totally useless, they do have some intrinsic value but what's happening now is they have hugely deviated from their CURRENT intrinsic value, based on speculation of their future intrinsic value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

I think I am the most unlucky person in the world. I had 20 coins which I bought for €2, lent them to a friend to use on silk road, got in fight with friend and never got them back.

that's a 20k kick in the balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I've used them on Humble Bundle more than once.

• Advertisement

Up over 9% on the day now, that's a easy 2,100 Eur sine midnight.

A 9% return is 2,100euro for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Going to burst very soon. Sheep marketplace has closed down and BMR is in the process of closing down.

You can't even bother your arse Googling it - go on, as I said in my last post, put Ponzi Scheme into Google, and click the first link, and see if it bears any resemblance to bubbles like we're seeing now.

Except you know I wasn't arguing what you're pretending I argued, but you want to hold onto that straw-man because it's the only single thing your argument is based on - get back to me when you've taken 5 seconds to type that into Google.

Ponzi scheme - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponzi_scheme‎
    A Ponzi scheme is a fraudulent investment operation that pays returns to its investors from existing capital or new capital paid by new investors, rather than from ...

One of us is being pretty stupid right now.. You can decide which after you learn what the above sentence actually means instead of what it sounds like.

A 9% return is 2,100euro for you?

Yes i have 1 to 10 leverage, i brought 5,000 contracts on plus500 at midnight.
    Profit as we speak is Eur 2670.93.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

leverage? they let you buy bitcoins on margin? so how much did you deposit to plus500, if you don't mind me asking.

i'd about 3 coins on my galaxy s2 that was stolen by a junkie about 6 months ago. raging

• Advertisement

leverage? they let you buy bitcoins on margin? so how much did you deposit to plus500, if you don't mind me asking.

i'd about 3 coins on my galaxy s2 that was stolen by a junkie about 6 months ago. raging

Yeah, i put in 5k yesterday, will be happy to double it and take out my first 5k and anything after that is money to play with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Filibuster

Yeah, i put in 5k yesterday, will be happy to double it and take out my first 5k and anything after that is money to play with.

I'm just imagining you going in to cash out just like Stan in South Park cashing his $100 cheque

Annnnnnd it's gone....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

one of the lads in work kept asking me to buy some of him,back when they were about 70 or 80 euro for one,had no money at all to buy some and was comforting myself by telling myself sher I wouldn't make money of them anyway!feckin sickened now,I would have aold the minute it 1000 and ran with my money! he bought about 4000euro worth when they were 30wuro each,he has made a nice little profit from them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Price dropped by 25% yesterday (down to $850) at one point on the strength of a hoax about a private directory leaking online. That alone tells you just about elastic Bitcoin is and how quickly people will sell if in any doubt. Be careful out there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

It won't take away any power from the central banks, because the currency they use is grounded in government taxes - all government has to do is demand taxes in a particular currency, and that will become the dominant currency, because people will need to acquire it to pay their taxes.

Ace2007 wrote: »

Stay away - it is in the middle of deflating in value:
    https://blockchain.info/charts/market-price

See:
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4b/Stages_of_a_bubble.png

Ponzi scheme - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponzi_scheme‎
    A Ponzi scheme is a fraudulent investment operation that pays returns to its investors from existing capital or new capital paid by new investors, rather than from ...

One of us is being pretty stupid right now.. You can decide which after you learn what the above sentence actually means instead of what it sounds like.
    Can someone who isn't being an obtuse twat, please click this link, search 'bubble', and report back if it says anything about economic bubbles?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponzi_scheme

Thanks.

Yes i have 1 to 10 leverage, i brought 5,000 contracts on plus500 at midnight.
    Profit as we speak is Eur 2670.93.

Sounds like a good way to lose your shirt.
    5000 lodged and playing with cfds?
    I'm no expert in these things but in most basic terms a smallish daily dip would wipe you out with no opportunity for recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

The magic beans of the 21st century, I'd avoid like the plague.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

mickdw wrote: »
    Sounds like a good way to lose your shirt.
    5000 lodged and playing with cfds?
    I'm no expert in these things but in most basic terms a smallish daily dip would wipe you out with no opportunity for recovery.

Who mentioned cfds? From what he has said he is just doing normal option trading.

If he is shorting then he makes loads of money off a dip.

If hedged correctly, then his real risk comes from his broker defaulting. Something I provided a link about earlier...

• Advertisement
Advertisement