Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripplecom Wireless Broadband

• 28-12-2010 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Dannyboi3k

Done a search but nothing came up.. Was looking to get Ripplecom and was wondering does anyone have it and what is it like? for gaming etc.. is it fixed wireless?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

fixed wireless i think, havnt used it but id be interested in finding out more about it also, seems the same as what digiweb fixed wireless offers, but unlimited download/upload

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Not the Same as Digiweb.

Ripplecom has a bunch of different systems. Some are WiFi related. They took over 3 or 4 small Wireless operators.

Performance varies greatly depending on which mast you are on.

1) No-one is Unlimited,
    2) Ripplecom *DO* have a mediumish limit tucked away in their T&C
    3) "Unlimited" or a very high cap, or a cap reset monthly rather than 30 days rolling makes Wireless speed very erratic.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Dannyboi3k

So its hard to know, unless i try kinda thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

I've Ripplecom (3Mbit/1Mbit)
    1087915864.png
    31047609.png
    31047659.png

I'm quite happy with it, it rarely disconnects, and the speed stays pretty stable. The upload is also consistent, it usually stays around 950kbps. I see on their website that they're introducing a 8Mbit package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

1087936154.png

:( Mine on Ripplecom.

• Advertisement

double GG wrote: »
    1087936154.png

:( Mine on Ripplecom.

Now that is bad, thats worse than my midband meteor and with the same ping :eek:

Is it always like that?

barnicles wrote: »
    I've Ripplecom (3Mbit/1Mbit)
    1087915864.png
    31047609.png
    31047659.png

I'm quite happy with it, it rarely disconnects, and the speed stays pretty stable. The upload is also consistent, it usually stays around 950kbps. I see on their website that they're introducing a 8Mbit package.

yeah I'm thinking of goin for the "up to" 8Mbit package with them this week, would you recommend it? They said they'll do a signal test for free, sure I might aswel....

Dannyboi3k wrote: »
    yeah I'm thinking of goin for the "up to" 8Mbit package with them this week, would you recommend it? They said they'll do a signal test for free, sure I might aswel....

I would imagine whatever service you get is completely dependant on whatever mast you're on, but I'm on the ex-Amocom network in Cork. Some of the other old ISP's network segments that are now part of Ripplecom might not be so good.

Is there anyway I can find out what mast I'll be on to get a rough idea?

Now that is bad, thats worse than my midband meteor and with the same ping :eek:

Is it always like that?

Well, lets say I never get a 3mb connection. It is usually never more than 1mb download and around .50mb upload. Ping can vary from 50-300 depending on when I take this test.

Very poor for gaming as at max you need a ping of no more than 80.

A month ago or so my line was 'upgraded' but in all I think my connection has gotten worse.

I have been calling Ripplecom about how bad it is, but they keep saying they'll work on it and get back to me :rolleyes: .

All in all it is a decent enough service.

1088060329.png

Another test now, slightly better now. Ping can vary, I used the Cork server first time, Dublin the 2nd time. Sometimes the Ping on the Cork can be lower than the Dublin Server....

31055027.png

I just did the Pingtest for my connection, with the Manchester server and got pretty good results....

31055213.png

And the pingtest on the Limerick Server...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Is there anyway I can find out what mast I'll be on to get a rough idea?

no.

ex - Ice areas are poor.

Well, lets say I never get a 3mb connection. It is usually never more than 1mb download and around .50mb upload. Ping can vary from 50-300 depending on when I take this test.

Very poor for gaming as at max you need a ping of no more than 80.

A month ago or so my line was 'upgraded' but in all I think my connection has gotten worse.

I have been calling Ripplecom about how bad it is, but they keep saying they'll work on it and get back to me :rolleyes: .

All in all it is a decent enough service.

1088060329.png

Another test now, slightly better now. Ping can vary, I used the Cork server first time, Dublin the 2nd time. Sometimes the Ping on the Cork can be lower than the Dublin Server....

31055027.png

I just did the Pingtest for my connection, with the Manchester server and got pretty good results....

31055213.png

And the pingtest on the Limerick Server...

Were you on a different ISP before it became part of Ripplecom? It seems that some parts of the old network are worse than Amocom's part. I've never seen Imagine Telecommunications as part of Ripplecom, or their backhaul, before.

Where are ex Ice areas?

Were you on a different ISP before it became part of Ripplecom? It seems that some parts of the old network are worse than Amocom's part. I've never seen Imagine Telecommunications as part of Ripplecom, or their backhaul, before.

I can't remember which company I was with before it became Ripplecom. But I am pretty sure it wasn't Amocom.

There were a few companies which became Ripplecom right? Do you know the names of them?

I can't remember which company I was with before it became Ripplecom. But I am pretty sure it wasn't Amocom.

There were a few companies which became Ripplecom right? Do you know the names of them?

I remember ICE and Callidus Omnitel, I don't think there was many if any more

I remember ICE and Callidus Omnitel, I don't think there was many if any more

Callidus Omnitel was the one I had...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Was it Omnitel or Calidus or Torque Maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Theres old Ice breadband signs still up down the road where I'm located, wonder if it would be the same boat

used to have irish broadband and no issues here, but the breeze service is disontinued... does anyone know if the breeze 4mb package is available? its on their site still but according to the dude on imagine phoneline, ALL of the breeze items were finished!

don't understand how IB/Imagine upgraded to wimax when im a customer for 4 years on the IB breeze 2mb... they cut off the service and wimax isn't available here... great upgrade!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

watty wrote: »
    Not the Same as Digiweb.

Ripplecom has a bunch of different systems. Some are WiFi related. They took over 3 or 4 small Wireless operators.

Performance varies greatly depending on which mast you are on.

1) No-one is Unlimited,
    2) Ripplecom *DO* have a mediumish limit tucked away in their T&C
    3) "Unlimited" or a very high cap, or a cap reset monthly rather than 30 days rolling makes Wireless speed very erratic.

I had a "discussion" with a Ripplecom sales rep a while back and they were really pushing the "Unlimited" cap. No way would the rep admit that there was any limit whatsoever so I guess some people will be buying it on the bases of false "Unlimited" claims :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Ripplecom took over ICE when they went bust.It's even stated on Ripplecoms website.The unlimited download is 'fair usage' afaik.

• Advertisement

Which areas did ICE cover, which Ripplecom took over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 JasonR16

Which areas did ICE cover, which Ripplecom took over?

Longwood was one - I have to say even though I am ex-Ice the service has been pretty good. Ex-Ice got 3mb even though Ripplecom was only offering 2mb at the time.

I get 2.5-2.8 the majority of the time, except Sunday nights when it drop to .5 for a few hours.

Upload can be pretty bad in the evenings which effects Skype Video but Im in the process of trying to upgrade to 8mb/1mb myself to help that out.

As far as the limits, I download a LOT of movies and stream video a lot and have never had a limits issue. I have no doubt there is a limit somewhere but unless you are downloading NONSTOP, I doubt you would hit it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

I used to have Ripplecom here in West Waterford up till a few months ago, It was really good for gaming until all the customers got upgraded from 2meg to 3meg, Just went downhill from there :(. High ping's and lots & lots of lag.

An uneducated guess would be that the infrastructure was not there for everyone to have 3meg.

In spite of all that I found them nice people to deal with and would go back to them in the morning if I though that the 8meg stream would be stable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

im on the lookout for a wireless bb provider at the moment, i am unsure about rippecom at the moment...

has anyone had any dealings with WTSBB?

www.wtsbb.net is their website, which is nothing amazing to look at...

anyone have any feedback on them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

cant see how much their install costs either but give them a ring,might be worth a shot,i take it your in county limerick?or near there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

I've been with Amocom and now Ripplecom for years and am in general very happy with the service.
    Snapshot stats:
    1097997620.png
    31535907.png
    It is fine for gaming (MMO) and I also use Blueface without many problems.
    In-game ping is usually around 50 to 80, Skype and Voip is usually fine but can be choppy occasionally.
    Very reliable overall, although there were some times around when they were upgrading I had problems with frequent "holes", but that issue was resolved in within a reasonably short period.
    Another bonus is the uncapped service, subject to fair use obviously, but I have never experienced any capping or curtailing and although I do not download stuff frequently, game downloads and updates can easily hit 6 to 8 gigs at times.
    Overall I figure it is a good deal, it basically covers my phone and internet needs without problems unlike what one hears of Eircom :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 pollyos

It really seems to depend on where you are with Ripplecom - pot luck. We used to have no problem with Omnitel BUT find Ripplecom or (Cripplecom as we affectionately call them!) useless. High ping, useless for on-line gaming, chronic customer service. For the last 5 weeks our internet has been coming and going constantly, as in it drops completely for abot 20 secs at least once every 5 mins, very frustrating. Every time we call them they don't believe us and ask the same mundane questions - have you tried turning off the router etc etc, it's like the IT crowd "have u tried turning it off?" If we could get anybody else in our area I would but unfortunately we can't. They are the bane of our lives. Stay away

Has anyone had very poor Ripplecom connection for the past few days, Very up and down?

My connection could be fine for an hour then go down for 5 minutes or it could be fine for 2 minutes and go down for 10. I called them about it and they said it's a fault on their behalf and it should be fixed early this morning.

Anyone else experiencing this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

my speeds have been terrible for about a week now have been on to them a few times but will be ringing them again on monday cos this is a joke

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 JasonR16

JasonR16 wrote: »
    Longwood was one - I have to say even though I am ex-Ice the service has been pretty good. Ex-Ice got 3mb even though Ripplecom was only offering 2mb at the time.

I get 2.5-2.8 the majority of the time, except Sunday nights when it drop to .5 for a few hours.

Upload can be pretty bad in the evenings which effects Skype Video but Im in the process of trying to upgrade to 8mb/1mb myself to help that out.

As far as the limits, I download a LOT of movies and stream video a lot and have never had a limits issue. I have no doubt there is a limit somewhere but unless you are downloading NONSTOP, I doubt you would hit it.

I take back what I said (partially)... What has made it worse lately is they sold me on upgrading to 8mb - Which I said yes to...After a week and a half of daily calls with India (which they even seemed to have outsourced their sales dept to) - I was informed that it may be months before the system is upgraded in my area and I can't get it after all.

Then today a flyer comes in the door that says "If you are reading this, you can get 8mb today!" :rolleyes:

The communication with their outsourced Tech Support / Sales in India is atroucious. They don't seem to know what they are actually offering.

Advertisement