Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripplecom Wireless Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JaeMc

JasonR16 wrote: »
    I take back what I said (partially)... What has made it worse lately is they sold me on upgrading to 8mb - Which I said yes to...After a week and a half of daily calls with India (which they even seemed to have outsourced their sales dept to) - I was informed that it may be months before the system is upgraded in my area and I can't get it after all.

Then today a flyer comes in the door that says "If you are reading this, you can get 8mb today!" :rolleyes:

The communication with their outsourced Tech Support / Sales in India is atroucious. They don't seem to know what they are actually offering.

Having major issues with them aswell at the moment. From Longwood aswell and speeds and pings are terrible EVERY evening. They are putting it down to people downloading movies and music a LOT which is not helping when the contention is 25:1. I know there is an unlimited d/l but there is also a "fair usage policy" that some people are not adhering too. They have told me they are monitoring this and will be in contact with the users that are doing it, so this may help with us gamers who can't play any evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

conemplating getting this ripplecom shizzle

cant get eircom, upc, digiweb, smart wimax in my area which is in friggin dublin 22 ffs, ridiculous that theres so little availabe

ripplecom really that bad?

phone line only can handle 1mb max which is pointless, theres no digital upc option since we can only get analog tv and cant seem to find anyone thats good in the area, dont want that mobile shizzle, rahter something fixed preferable fixed wireless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭SgtBob

I was on ice for a couple of years and now on Ripplecom, after they took over Ice.

I did have an issue a couple of months ago, that took about 2 months to get working properly again. This is mostly due to the fact that I was never able to get any one to answer the phone in their customer care. I had to constantly call sales and get put through to care.

But, bar that issue, I have had no other issues and the speed has been grand. I was on the 3mb/1mb package, which I got about 2.9mb down and 0.9mb up.

Now I am on the 8mb/1mb package and I get a consisten 5.9mb down and 0.9mb up. Granted still 2mb shy of the 8mb, but I am not complaining as it is still fairly fast and the latency for online gaming is usually around the 30-40ms mark.

Having said that, I am in an area just outside a town that has all the fixed line options, UPC, Eircom, Magnet, etc. So I would imagine the only reason I get speeds as good as I do is because, most people in the area are on the wired bb, rather than the wireless. So probably much less contention on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Just wondering what are people paying for Ripplecom. I was with Ice for 3/4 years before they changed to Ripplecom. Im paying €37.99 for just home broadband now just as I was before with Ice. Anyone I ask who joined more recently seems to be paying less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭SgtBob

I was also paying 37.99, But since upgrading to the 8mb package I am paying 39.99.

They have new packages now, so may be worth checking their website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭wyndhurst

ripplecom customer (ex-Amocom) on the 8Mb package.
    Achieving average of 5 to 6Mb download & 50ms ping.
    4.5 miles from mast with direct line of sight.
    Excellent service so far.
    Blueface a very good low cost phone option also.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

wyndhurst wrote: »
    ripplecom customer (ex-Amocom) on the 8Mb package.
    Achieving average of 5 to 6Mb download & 50ms ping.
    4.5 miles from mast with direct line of sight.
    Excellent service so far.
    Blueface a very good low cost phone option also.

What part of cork are you getting the signal from? i am very tempted to give them a go, no line broadband available in my area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

DIto. Ex Amocom customer now on 8 mb package (been paying the 39.99 all along and just checked, must have happened in the last 2 weeks) max. I'm getting is 7.30 Mb/sec, so almost full whack.
    I'm in North Cork on the Bweeng transmitter. No problems.
    1125311248.png

Improved over the last few days and I thought that they seemed to be getting their act together but then this is what I'm getting this evening

1129090592.png

Granted the work due in the Longwood area is to be completed in about a week or so this maybe due to upgrade work. Let's hope so.........

morgana wrote: »
    DIto. Ex Amocom customer now on 8 mb package (been paying the 39.99 all along and just checked, must have happened in the last 2 weeks) max. I'm getting is 7.30 Mb/sec, so almost full whack.
    I'm in North Cork on the Bweeng transmitter. No problems.
    1125311248.png

Just noticed while looking at your speedtest that it says your ISP is Digiweb??
    Very Confused it should say Ripplecom no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

As far as I know Digiweb was supplying Amocom's backbone hence it shows up as Digiweb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

morgana wrote: »
    As far as I know Digiweb was supplying Amocom's backbone hence it shows up as Digiweb.
    They originally were getting in off of Smart Telecom. But since Digiweb bought them out (smart) they had Ripe transfer the ip's from Smart to digiweb.

according to the coverage map, does that indicate where the actual service comes from? ...acording to the map theres a little orange dot like less than a mile or so from my location

also noticed its 49.99 for phone and boradband (8/1) with no instalation fee

as aposed to 39.99 a month for just broadband with a 150 instalation fee

need a new broadband service and contemplated getting the phones over it too, but not sure, figure the phone and bb package would be a nice way to try it out and if it works ok get the old ph number ported eventually

or just get breeze 4mb for 55 a month! ... previously breeze 2mb already worked here and had no issues with it in the past decent fast reliable... not so confident on ripplecom after some of the posts about em...

either way ive narrowed it down to ripplecom or irish broadband breeze =/ any ideas, dont wana get stuck with sometihng crappy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

-=al=- wrote: »
    either way ive narrowed it down to ripplecom or irish broadband breeze =/ any ideas, dont wana get stuck with sometihng crappy

Irish Broadband have discontinued the Breeze product.

jus the old 2mb/3mb services the 4mb service is still there, i rang about it twice, first dude said they were all discontinued then the 2nd time to a different person the 4mb was available and the site was updated... http://www.irishbroadband.ie/products.php

never actually tried to order the 4mb since but i said if i jsut ring sales to order its its all good.. but were were on the old breeze 2mb connection and the antena/cable/modem are still all set up here, i wondered if it was just a case of turning the 4mb service on if it was still all good to go, or a whole new antena and modem n shizzle

if not ripplecom is probably the way to go.

irish broadband never said they need the modem/antena back either said they can send someone out to take it down if we want, all rather weird, jus duno if i wana bother with a new service or use the same as last time which is more $ but a bit better and reliable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

-=al=- wrote: »
    according to the coverage map, does that indicate where the actual service comes from? ...acording to the map theres a little orange dot like less than a mile or so from my location

also noticed its 49.99 for phone and boradband (8/1) with no instalation fee

as aposed to 39.99 a month for just broadband with a 150 instalation fee

need a new broadband service and contemplated getting the phones over it too, but not sure, figure the phone and bb package would be a nice way to try it out and if it works ok get the old ph number ported eventually

or just get breeze 4mb for 55 a month! ... previously breeze 2mb already worked here and had no issues with it in the past decent fast reliable... not so confident on ripplecom after some of the posts about em...

If you take a 24 month contract with Ripplecom installation is free,they downgrade the install fee in line with the length of your contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

JasonR16 wrote: »
    Longwood was one - I have to say even though I am ex-Ice the service has been pretty good. Ex-Ice got 3mb even though Ripplecom was only offering 2mb at the time.

I get 2.5-2.8 the majority of the time, except Sunday nights when it drop to .5 for a few hours.

Upload can be pretty bad in the evenings which effects Skype Video but Im in the process of trying to upgrade to 8mb/1mb myself to help that out.

As far as the limits, I download a LOT of movies and stream video a lot and have never had a limits issue. I have no doubt there is a limit somewhere but unless you are downloading NONSTOP, I doubt you would hit it.
    JaeMc wrote: »
    Having major issues with them aswell at the moment. From Longwood aswell and speeds and pings are terrible EVERY evening. They are putting it down to people downloading movies and music a LOT which is not helping when the contention is 25:1. I know there is an unlimited d/l but there is also a "fair usage policy" that some people are not adhering too. They have told me they are monitoring this and will be in contact with the users that are doing it, so this may help with us gamers who can't play any evening.
    Do you lads know what/where the mast is that the service comes from? I tried getting this installed during the summer and was told I couldn't as there was a tree between the house and the mast.
    Am wondering if its in the garden of an old 'for sale' run down bungalow on St Olivers Road.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

With Ripplecom up to now I was on a 3mb package. This week I upgraded to 8mb package. I now get 3mb instead of 2mb?:confused:

Do you lads know what/where the mast is that the service comes from? I tried getting this installed during the summer and was told I couldn't as there was a tree between the house and the mast.
    Am wondering if its in the garden of an old 'for sale' run down bungalow on St Olivers Road.

Thanks

No the mast is out the Trim road somewhere about 3KM from the village (Rathnew I think) but not 100% sure. If your in Longwood, Brackenrainey Manor estate has loads of issues in getting this BB because they are lower down and have no line of site. Ripplecom still having loads of issues with speeds and contention so I would hold off until bounce broadband come in and see what they have to offer, they are putting up a mast in the village supposedly.

No the mast is out the Trim road somewhere about 3KM from the village (Rathnew I think) but not 100% sure. If your in Longwood, Brackenrainey Manor estate has loads of issues in getting this BB because they are lower down and have no line of site. Ripplecom still having loads of issues with speeds and contention so I would hold off until bounce broadband come in and see what they have to offer, they are putting up a mast in the village supposedly.
    Three are breaking my heart just now, if i get speeds of over 50kbs then am doing well. Was told there is a tree in the line between my roof in Edgeworth Court and the mast.
    Bounce Broadband?? Where is the talk of them putting a mast up, and are they any good?? I suppose anyone has to be better than what I currently have.

• Advertisement

Three are breaking my heart just now, if i get speeds of over 50kbs then am doing well. Was told there is a tree in the line between my roof in Edgeworth Court and the mast.
    Bounce Broadband?? Where is the talk of them putting a mast up, and are they any good?? I suppose anyone has to be better than what I currently have.

Three?? not a great idea as cellular network is terrible in Longwood. Ripplecom has improved dramatically over the last few weeks but I would still like to see this service at this level for at least 6 months will no decline in service.

http://www.bounce-broadband.com/ check this out they are supposed to be setting up in the village, but again this was to happen in Feb.

Three?? not a great idea as cellular network is terrible in Longwood. Ripplecom has improved dramatically over the last few weeks but I would still like to see this service at this level for at least 6 months will no decline in service.

http://www.bounce-broadband.com/ check this out they are supposed to be setting up in the village, but again this was to happen in Feb.
    Yeah, I'm stuck with a 3 dongle due to not being able to connect to the ripplecom mast due to that fekn tree, so there are no other options for me that I know of. Anyone know a tree surgeon :mad:
    Just checked the bounce broadband, nice one and the sooner the better really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Can numbers be ported to Ripplecom? We are thinking of switching and this is a crucial thing for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

Can numbers be ported to Ripplecom? We are thinking of switching and this is a crucial thing for us.

Ya go here http://www.ripplecom.net/home-broadband and under the heading Broadband & Voice Package Details it says: Telephone Adapter is provided as part of the installation cost (normally costs €49) which allows you to use your existing home phone to make calls
    Free geographic number. If you wish to keep your existing number you will need to fill out a porting form and there is a once off €10 porting charge

Didn't see that, thanks :)

One more question: They say they supply a modem for €50. Is this a wired modem and a seperate router or a modem/router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭discobrother1

venom they istall the router all in one 5ghz antenna thingy on your roof which has a cat 5 feed coming from it.... so youll need a wireless router to connect to if that how you want it to roll

heres my speed test from enniscorthy on the white mt mast

1220073596.png

glic83 wrote: »
    it will be a separate router

What make and model is the router? Is it replacable with a standard "cable" router (i.e. a router with an RJ45 WAN Port).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭discobrother1

it is not a seperate router.. at least it wasnet in my case. You basically have a cat 5 cable coming down from your chimney that has a live internet connection on it.
    Up to you what you do with it inside your house.

• Advertisement

What make and model is the modem/router then?

Advertisement