Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripplecom Wireless Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Sorry my bad,when i signed up it was under the free installation method,and it was a cable from the modem to a router that i supplied so sorry for the mis-understanding,im gone from them now thank god,i honestly wouldnt recommend them to anyone,they were great at the start but after about 4 months they were just shocking and kept getting worse so i left not even half way through the contract as i had a lot of downtime and i told them sort it or i was gone 2 weeks with no internet went by so just cancelled my dd and gave them the reasons in writting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Still doesn't answer my question.

Well hopefully someone who got the all in 1 modem/router can answer that 1 as i was just given a modem,can remember the model although it was a POE type model

glic83 wrote: »
    Well hopefully someone who got the all in 1 modem/router can answer that 1 as i was just given a modem,can remember the model although it was a POE type model

Thank you anyway. Any information helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭discobrother1

Heres my latest ripplecom wireless speed test and the best yet, from enniscorthy

1226039187.png

• Advertisement

Alright, got the name of the router from a ripplecom representative.

It's one of these: http://www.ubnt.com/airrouter

We got Ripplecom installed today, still waiting on router though.

Speeds are grand up until the evening, at which point they fluctuate a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Heres my latest ripplecom wireless speed test and the best yet, from enniscorthy

1226039187.png

Not to shabby at all there for ripplecom, v nice... a shame i couldn't get it installed!

Is there any way to stop the fluctuating speeds?

It's grand most of the time but on occasion drops down to around 40KB/sec download speeds.

It's gone from "on occasion" to "most of the time".

Was getting great speeds yesterday, why not today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

watty will answer ya or check some of his posts in similar threads

• Advertisement

thats the way it started for me great at the start then slowly got worse and worse in the end i had to leave them as i was without bb for around 10 days ,hopefully you get better satisfaction than i did with them,usually down to contention ratio in the evenings as more people are on line

I fired up my torrent client to download Ubuntu (through the browser I was getting the fluctuation) and to my surprise the problems were mostly gone. Speeds shot back up :)

Not so much better today, hovers at around 200KB/Sec but can drop to 30-40KB/Sec for a good while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Before the 8mb 'upgrade' I was on the 3mb package and would get consistently good speeds (between 250 and 300k). Now it seems to be ok during the day (ie when I'm not at home) up to 750k but during the evening and weekends it's terrible. Have logged it with support but no sign of a fix as yet.

We don't have a fixed line so there would be extra cost to go with a DSL provider but at this stage its looking more and more likely that I'll need to switch.

1245164453.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Seeing the same problem since Friday, before the so-called upgrade I got good performance around 2 - 3 megs, after it was between 3 and 5, but this weekend it has been extremely poor at times, with d/l speeds going as low as 15 kb !!!!
    Ever since Amocom's merge to Ripplecom, their customer service sucks big time, there seems to be no support or even monitoring at weekends at all.
    At the time of the big storms in February, the net was down for the entire weekend despite numerous calls to them, the CS dude on Monday said he had just come in to find the problems (while their phone message assured everyone there were no network problems!).
    A complaint mail didn't even get acknowledged.
    If I had another option I would switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭mossie

morgana wrote: »
    Seeing the same problem since Friday, before the so-called upgrade I got good performance around 2 - 3 megs, after it was between 3 and 5, but this weekend it has been extremely poor at times, with d/l speeds going as low as 15 kb !!!!
    Ever since Amocom's merge to Ripplecom, their customer service sucks big time, there seems to be no support or even monitoring at weekends at all.
    At the time of the big storms in February, the net was down for the entire weekend despite numerous calls to them, the CS dude on Monday said he had just come in to find the problems (while their phone message assured everyone there were no network problems!).
    A complaint mail didn't even get acknowledged.
    If I had another option I would switch.

I used to be with Amocom a few years ago and I rejoined Ripplecom a few weeks back, opting for the 8 meg package. I was told that because I was some way from the mast I probably would get a top speed of 5 - 6 meg which would be fine as it would be 5 - 6 time what I had with Eircom.
    Anyway, over the first few weeks, I was averaging 3 or 4 meg, absolute best was 4.75, and I was reasonably happy with that but over the last week or so that has dropped dramatically. Absolute best is 2 meg, and most of the time it's 0.5 to 1.0, upload speed is fine usually faster than download. my ping has also gone from around 40ms to over 100 on occasions.

I emailed Ripplecom last night but my experience since I joined is that they don't really answer emails, even if they solve your problem they don't let you know.

Very disappointed right now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Yeah being used to Amocoms rather excellent CS, Ripplecom's bad communication is a sure letdown.
    I phoned them on Monday morning (as if anything happens on the weekend forget about anything getting fixed), and in fairness I spoke to a tech dude right away and he fixed it on the spot (said he saw what was wrong and I should see an improvement in 15 to 20 minutes which I did).
    SO now its back to an average of 5 megs which I am happy with. In my experience, do not bother with emails, its soo hit and and miss if you ever get a response. Ring them. They are still pretty good there, I think its some of the same people as well.
    1251575157.png

Mine is still terrible. I've been on to them nearly everyday about it since last week and at BEST I might be 2mb during the day before it drops to terrible speeds at night.

They latest excuse is the its due to contention.

I've given up at this stage and decided to go back to eircom. At the moment I'm having to use the 3g on my mobile as I get better speeds of that!

Just thought I'd update on my situation.

Speeds have been around 4Mb until late Tuesday night. Now speeds are around 1Mb. Ping is still great and Upload is still just under 1Mb, if the DL speeds stay like this I'll give them a ring though.

Just thought I'd update on my situation.

Speeds have been around 4Mb until late Tuesday night. Now speeds are around 1Mb. Ping is still great and Upload is still just under 1Mb, if the DL speeds stay like this I'll give them a ring though.

Just got off the phone to support and my speeds are now back aroud 4 meg. Must say the guy was very helpful.

1253167133.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I used to be with omnitel wireless but moved to eircom. Want to move back to what is now Ripplecom, any change and could you recommend it/is it good value?

Thanks

Mr_Grumpy wrote: »
    I used to be with omnitel wireless but moved to eircom. Want to move back to what is now Ripplecom, any change and could you recommend it/is it good value?

Thanks

I was with the old Amocom and it was great at that time was 2 meg and was ALWAYS 2 meg rock solid. I've had a few problems since I returned but part of that is that I am a little far from the mast. I think a lot depends on how the infrastructure was before Ripplecom moved in. Amocom was good, Ice not so good. If Omnitel was OK chances are it will be good with Ripplecom too. For me anything I get is better than what I had with Eircom anyway and I ahve my phone with ripplecom too so it works out about the same pricewise. Broadband on it's own is a little expensive though..

mossie wrote: »
    I was with the old Amocom and it was great at that time was 2 meg and was ALWAYS 2 meg rock solid. I've had a few problems since I returned but part of that is that I am a little far from the mast. I think a lot depends on how the infrastructure was before Ripplecom moved in. Amocom was good, Ice not so good. If Omnitel was OK chances are it will be good with Ripplecom too. For me anything I get is better than what I had with Eircom anyway and I ahve my phone with ripplecom too so it works out about the same pricewise. Broadband on it's own is a little expensive though..

Broadband with ripplecom hasn't a contract as I'm aware and I can use blueface (phone).

It makes things cheaper, but can't be too slow.

Any other advice and tips before I start considering moving appreciated.

12 month min contract m8

12 month min contract m8

Didn't see that. Thanks a mil.

12 month min contract m8

Can you provide proof of same as I just review my paperwork last week and can find no mention of it anywhere?

BrianjG wrote: »
    Can you provide proof of same as I just review my paperwork last week and can find no mention of it anywhere?

Not mentioned anywhere on the site. Can't get to view the terms on mobile but nothing is said about contracts.

If it is a 12 month contract, it might be misleading a consumer and open to complaints to Comreg and the nca..

Mr_Grumpy wrote: »
    Not mentioned anywhere on the site. Can't get to view the terms on mobile but nothing is said about contracts.

If it is a 12 month contract, it might be misleading a consumer and open to complaints to Comreg and the nca..

I just found it. its on the website alright under a pdf link. I've provided it below.

http://www.ripplecom.net/media/pdf/Terms-and-Conditions-Broadband.pdf

Its under a sections called Minimum Subscription Period and it says,

"1.6 “Minimum Subscription Period” means the term commencing on date of installation of the Equipment in the Premises and ending on the date twelve (12) months thereafter;"

It doesnt matter to me as I have it longer than 12 months anyway.

that wasn't mentioned any where else on the site and its unlikely that an average person will read all the terms. I've sent Ripple an email and will await a reply before getting comreg in. Thanks for letting me know, I see it know..:D

• Advertisement

Our internet is completely down at the moment, luckily Vodafone isn't cancelled yet. I am going to ring them at half nine and get this sorted.

Advertisement