Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripplecom Wireless Broadband

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

long_b wrote: »
    Just to finish the story - engineer came on working day 8.
    No line of sight, couldn't do the install.

To those who are looking to get it installed be warned - the engineer said he has a high proportion of prospective customers who can't get the service due to Line of sight issues - trees and big buildings being the worst offenders.

Fantastic if you can get it - a bit sadifying if you can't :(

Fixed wireless doesn't necessarily need complete line of site, a gap between trees can often work. I hear people saying they couldn't get wireless broadband because of trees every so often and I have to wonder if the installer is just being lazy or doesn't want to try a few different locations around the roof or a bigger pole etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Fixed wireless doesn't necessarily need complete line of site, a gap between trees can often work. I hear people saying they couldn't get wireless broadband because of trees every so often and I have to wonder if the installer is just being lazy or doesn't want to try a few different locations around the roof or a bigger pole etc.

He only tried one location and no poles - he just held it up while standing on the chimney. Says he got nothing but zeroes on his software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

He only tried one location and no poles - he just held it up while standing on the chimney. Says he got nothing but zeroes on his software.

I wonder how high they'd have to go to get LoS? I know we have a small pole on our chimney, but probably no higher than standing on the chimney.

As a matter of curiosity, one of the houses in your neck of the woods (the one beside Andy's Bikes I think) has some sort of mast in their yard. I wonder if you approach them/Ripplecom would they be open to putting an access point on that for the few houses around? Might be worth checking out.

Dero wrote: »
    I wonder how high they'd have to go to get LoS? I know we have a small pole on our chimney, but probably no higher than standing on the chimney.

As a matter of curiosity, one of the houses in your neck of the woods (the one beside Andy's Bikes I think) has some sort of mast in their yard. I wonder if you approach them/Ripplecom would they be open to putting an access point on that for the few houses around? Might be worth checking out.
    I think I've thoroughly scared the Ripplecom install guy - he seems not to be answering. He reckoned I'd need a big huge pole, many times bigger than his biggest one.
    Annoying as I think the mast is only a couple of kms away, on the RHS as you come up to the main Athy road.
    Saw that big aerial near Andy's - might ask them what the story is. Doubt it's stable enough structurally to even hold a receiver steady though ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

Doubt it's stable enough structurally to even hold a receiver steady though ?

It's worth asking I suppose. It must be capable of holding something or there's not much point to it.

With regard to the Ripplecom mast; what's your LoS like towards Kildare? If you do get the installer, ask him did he try Grange Hill. That's where I get my signal from. It's a long way (~12km), but I have no problems with the link. There may well be a closer mast in the other direction, but it's moot if there's trees in the way.

• Advertisement

Dero wrote: »
    It's worth asking I suppose. It must be capable of holding something or there's not much point to it.

With regard to the Ripplecom mast; what's your LoS like towards Kildare? If you do get the installer, ask him did he try Grange Hill. That's where I get my signal from. It's a long way (~12km), but I have no problems with the link. There may well be a closer mast in the other direction, but it's moot if there's trees in the way.

I told him all about you the Grange and where I thought the close masts were :) Reckon I probably have more of a LineOfTrees rather than a LOS :(

Will check out what the story is with the mast people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

You have a 7 day change of mind period. So if you are not happy with the service just cancel it.
    I had the guy out to connect it on the Friday 28th, and called them on the 3rd to cancel as there was no connection (and after a previous attempt when it never connected last summer i knew it was the same scenario). The guy on the phone more or less told me that i wasn't in a position to cancel and they would just take the full payments of the 12 months.
    Just to finish the story - engineer came on working day 8.
    No line of sight, couldn't do the install.

To those who are looking to get it installed be warned - the engineer said he has a high proportion of prospective customers who can't get the service due to Line of sight issues - trees and big buildings being the worst offenders.

Fantastic if you can get it - a bit sadifying if you can't :(
    It's a tree in the distance that is the issue for me. First payment is due tomorrow but I'm going to cancel the direct debit. I've rang them and told them the issue and they insist it's connected and will send an installer back out to have a look. I haven't heard back from them in 2-3 weeks, no telephone calls, voice messages or postage.

Just a heads up to anyone thinking of getting Ripplecom installed, I would avoid them like the plague. Was really happy with my service and speeds for the first few months but things have deteriorated dramatically. Have to say their customer service is almost non existent and extremely unhelpful. If you experience a problem with your broadband you are on your own. And you WILL experience problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

I'm seriously considering a switch to Ripple despite some of the horror stories I've been reading here.

If it comes to the worst and the service is dire and I want to cancel the contract, how can I do that? Threaten legal action? Has any one successfully cancelled a contact before it expired?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Earthday

I emailed ripplecom about the download usage, and told them, I looked at their Fair Use Policy and Excessive Use, this is their replay.
    We are planning to move to a 70Gb limit on our up to 8Mb product

Then I asked, about their 2mb pack, because I thought, the 8mb one, might cost a lot or I won't able to get it. This their replay about 2mb usage.
    To be determined but prob 20mb per month

I hope, that was mistake:(:mad:. A 20mb limit, would be way too short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

when i had ripplecom it was great at the start but then went **** and for a finish when i was supposed to be moved onto there 8mb service i got nothing but downtime and were shocking to deal with never called me back or anything so i went to a provider that could actually supply broaband and so far have been fantastic,wouldnt wish ripplecom on my worst enemy,id avoid at all costs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭mossie

Just a heads up to anyone thinking of getting Ripplecom installed, I would avoid them like the plague. Was really happy with my service and speeds for the first few months but things have deteriorated dramatically. Have to say their customer service is almost non existent and extremely unhelpful. If you experience a problem with your broadband you are on your own. And you WILL experience problems.

Cannot say this is my experience as they have been very helpful with any problem I had. I woudn't email them though as they seem to ignore email, much better to call. As for speed I am on the 8 meg package but as I'm 14 miles from the mast I was never going to get that and was tol the max would be 5 to 6 meg. I probably average around 4 and rarely get less than 2 which is twice as fast as what eircom etc can offer me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭mossie

Earthday wrote: »
    I emailed ripplecom about the download usage, and told them, I looked at their Fair Use Policy and Excessive Use, this is their replay.

Then I asked, about their 2mb pack, because I thought, the 8mb one, might cost a lot or I won't able to get it. This their replay about 2mb usage.

I hope, that was mistake:(:mad:. A 20mb limit, would be way too short.

I presume that would be 20GB, not 20 MB, which is pretty much in line with what eircom etc offer.

Advertisement