Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM Dispensing wrong money amounts?

Options
  • 28-12-2010 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Just curious as to what you would do in this situation,

For the past two days all the Atms in Tuam have been out of service, bar one (Ulster Bank).

On Stephen's night, I went to withdraw €40, and instead of 2 20's, received 2 10's. I just passed this off as me hitting the wrong key at the time and said feck it cos it was pissing rain and the queue was massive (bein the only ATM "working".
    But then I checked the account when I got home and lo and behold, I was negative 40 quid. Bit of a sickener, I'm guessing someone put €10 notes in the €20 slot or something stupid like that, but I'm just wondering who's at fault here and who'd be the best place to contact to get this rectified, the Ulster Bank where the ATM was, or my own AIB. I heard a few other people had are in the same boat as myself, but just wondering what ye would advise...! ie, one of the lads withdrew 20, and got a tenner..

Sure it's only €20, but to a student, that's a fair bit!

:)

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Drop into the branch in the morning and report it to them. The ATM may be able to recall the transaction and this ocmbined with a printout of your statement should get you a refund. Failing that, CCTV might show what you took out.

Don't just let them short change you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Contact your bank and tell them what happened. They'll then check it out with Ulster Bank and refund you the money.

It will take a few days but you'll get your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Well, I would drop in but with the bank holiday today and tomorrow mean's I'm gonna have to wait til Wednesday. Bit of a pain in the arse, but I won't mind as long as they rectify it...

I always wondered about how ATMs were always pretty perfect with giving out money, always issuing the right amount, then boom , this happens :P . I mean I couldn't possibly think of why it would give out tenners instead of twenties!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Yeah, it does sound like someone put €10s in where the €20s should go. Don't contact the bank where the ATM was, they won't be able to do anything for you, you need to contact your own bank, and they'll secure a refund on your behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Well, I would drop in but with the bank holiday today and tomorrow mean's I'm gonna have to wait til Wednesday. Bit of a pain in the arse, but I won't mind as long as they rectify it...

I always wondered about how ATMs were always pretty perfect with giving out money, always issuing the right amount, then boom , this happens :P . I mean I couldn't possibly think of why it would give out tenners instead of twenties!

Actually Thursday, Since Wednesday is also a Bank Holiday.

• Advertisement
Advertisement