Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

complete beginner to recording needs help

Options
  • 28-12-2010 3:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

hello people, I've been playing guitar for a few years but only recently seriously decided to start writing some riffs and turning them into songs,now I would like to record these but I am a complete and utter noob to recording, I have the vocals down too and would like to record them also.
    I've been doing a little bit of research and seems I need an interface , recording software etc, but im unsure of how it all works to get what I want recorded and the order of what i need etc,
    What i want to do is record from my amp (triple rectifier) to my laptop..
    do i need to get an sm57 into an interface or what? and whats the best recording software to go for to start off I've no idea, on a bit of a budget too by the way.

Also is it possible to record the electric drum kit through the interface or what?

what is the best route to go about this?
    please and thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭brettzy

You got it right. You need a mic/preamp/interface/software. Most interfaces have preamps build in so that's all you really need if you have a sm57 already.

Options: Try steinberg CI1 or CI2 - both come with software (Cubase AI5). They are very affordable and very good too!

or

M-Box mini which comes with Pro Tools Le

For the Electronic drums - check and see if there is a midi output on your kit. If so then get one of these http://www.thomann.de/ie/maudio_midisport_uno.htm

Hope that helps some :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭been-mad-4-yrs

cheers yeah that helps mate thank you! and yeah affordable too!

Advertisement