Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone help me with a picture I took ?

Options
  • 28-12-2010 5:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭

Just going through and sorting all my pictures I took over the last few weeks of the snow and I came across this really strange one. It's got me totally baffled as there was no one about when I took it or the ones before or after it. Have a look for yourselves :confused:

ghdscf1635.jpg

close up:

gh2dscf1635.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

My guesses would be that either there was someone there and you didn't notice, or it's caused by light reflecting off something, like glass on the front of the door.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Looks normal to me. A guy in a reflective jacket with his hands in his pockets. They are standing by a door, could have nipped inside between shots. The reflectivity is the same as the snow, so to me has to do with the lighting around the place. If the person was closer, or levititating :) I would find it hard to explain but in this case Id reckon you didnt see them but the camera caught them as a glow which the naked eye didnt.

I always think photos like this should also be posted in photography to get opinions on what photographic glitch could have caused the phenomenon.

Yeah I was gonna suggest that... There was a thread in the Astronomy forum for UFOs (think it got closed though unfortunately). It might be helpful to have a similar thread in the Photography forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It is either light coming out of a window with the back corner of an armchair blocking a bit of light from the inside and something outside blocking parts of the light from the top of the light.

Either that or there is an 8'6" person lurking about, which I would find scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

cnocbui wrote: »
    Either that or there is an 8'6" person lurking about, which I would find scary.

With a reflective head?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭stepdoyle

is it one of those snowmen decorations you see lit up in every estate

seriously take a picture in daylight and post it up would you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Grimes wrote: »
    With a reflective head?
    That's got me so it has, and there was no one standing there :confused:
    seriously take a picture in daylight and post it up would you

gh3dscf3096.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

TBH now that I look at it, it is a bit freaky. Whether a man or ghost, he/it appears to be staring in your direction aswell.

CorkMan wrote: »
    he/it appears to be staring in your direction aswell.

Seriously? Are you sure you are not reading a bit too much into it? You have just personalised and made sinister a simple image, are you a professional medium :D

Anyway

Okay here is why I think it is not a high vis or reflective jacket. There is absolutely no detail in the figure at all despite relatively high detail in the rest of the image. It is far too bright to be a reflective jacket without a camera flash. The "face" area is also reflective hence my original comment about a reflective head.There are no decorations in the day photo that was posted.

Its very simular to an image I posted here years ago that was dismissed as someone wearing a reflective coat & head but I know for a fact there was no one in the vicinity.

graveyardghost.jpg

• Advertisement

Okay here is why I think it is not a high vis or reflective jacket. There is absolutely no detail in the figure at all despite relatively high detail in the rest of the image. It is far too bright to be a reflective jacket without a camera flash. The "face" area is also reflective hence my original comment about a reflective head.There are no decorations in the day photo that was posted.
    I'm 100% certain there was no one standing there, I know people will just have to take my word for it and others will say different, far enough, I'd probably say the same. As I said before, knowing that I know no one was there it just has me baffled and the reflective head even more so. When you zoom in on the head area it just gets more strange as you can see in the picture below, it looks more like a skull :confused:

I'm not going to jump the gun and say it's a ghost, all I will say is it's a very strange picture.

gh4dscf1635.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

They had their hall light on when the first picture was taken. The 'person' is the light coming out the window. You can even see where one of the beams for the porch blocks the light, causing the 'head'.

I still dont see why it would be more out of focus than the other windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Take another nighttime photo.

kylith wrote: »
    They had their hall light on when the first picture was taken. The 'person' is the light coming out the window. You can even see where one of the beams for the porch blocks the light, causing the 'head'.
    No hall light was on, I don't think anyone lives there either. Besides, even if what you said was true it can't be that either as the beam is not blocking a light source to form a head as the head shape is formed away from the beam. The beam is above the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Major Lovechild

Someone hung something on the tree outside the house. That's all there is to it.

Wo ist die Gemütlichkeit?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

hellboy99 wrote: »
    No hall light was on, I don't think anyone lives there either. Besides, even if what you said was true it can't be that either as the beam is not blocking a light source to form a head as the head shape is formed away from the beam. The beam is above the head.
    The fact that the 'figure' is exactly where the door is would strongly suggest that it's some light anomoly from the glass on the door (you can even see the faint line of the wood dividing the window in the door) rather than a ghost of some description.

Why not take some more photos and see if you can recreate it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

While I firmly believe it's a hall light obscured by the tree in the front and possibly something else on the door, it's kind of interesting that in the blown-up image, because of the colour changes it appears that it's what looks like a v shirt collar, a hat, and its hand in its pocket, quite distinctly!

Nothing supernatural in my opinion though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I can see a pair of glasses on the most zoomed image. In the supernatural sense of course. But then again it seems to have a smaller head than a human.

I don't think it is the hallway light, how come there is no dividing line down the "torso" of the apparition, as would be evident if it was the doorway?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

It appears to match exactly the shape of the windows, with some of the light blocked by the tree and porch truss.

• Advertisement

Okay this is what we are going to do. Take a picture again tonight, this time make sure that the hall light is on when you do. Use the same camera settings.

By gosh we will harass these people yet!

The light reflecting off the snow may have contributed to it also, which we can't recreate (right now anyway!)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Someone hung something on the tree outside the house. That's all there is to it.

i was going to say what a particularly glib answer, but i think you could be on to something there.

Im not saying its a ghost or anything but that sort of supposition is just as irresponsible as claiming its a spirit.

When people say things like "Someone hung something on the tree outside the house. That's all there is to it."it really gets my goat. You cannot possibly say for certain thats what it is. It annoys me as much as if someone were to say "well its a ghost, thats all there is to it".

Dave! wrote: »
    The light reflecting off the snow may have contributed to it also, which we can't recreate (right now anyway!)

Dave, can you site or post an image of a similar snow reflection light or a wiki article on that phenomenon? Not trying to be smart but if thats what it is you got to back it up with something.

Im not saying its a ghost or anything but that sort of supposition is just as irresponsible as claiming its a spirit.

When people say things like "Someone hung something on the tree outside the house. That's all there is to it."it really gets my goat. You cannot possibly say for certain thats what it is. It annoys me as much as if someone were to say "well its a ghost, thats all there is to it".

If I knew posting the picture up here was going to cause trouble I wouldn't of bothered :p

For the record, there was no one about when I took the picture, there was no hall light on and there was nothing on the tree either.

Thanks to everyone for all the opinions of what it could be. I don't know what it is and I'm not going to say 100% it's a ghost either, all I'm going to say is it's a strange picture that I can't explain.

Dave, can you site or post an image of a similar snow reflection light or a wiki article on that phenomenon? Not trying to be smart but if thats what it is you got to back it up with something.
    I don't have anything to back it up, I just said it may have contributed! Light reflects off surfaces differently, and snow is very reflective, hence it may provide a different angle for light to hit the glass in the door, which may contribute to the effect we see.

Just googled there, and albedo seems to be the metric we're interested in. Snow has a very high albedo (not to be confused with libido :) )

You can see from the original picture that the entire scene is illuminated in orange from the streetlights. If there were no snow, then this would be less dramatic.

I'm no photography expert, just firing out ideas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

hellboy99 wrote: »
    If I knew posting the picture up here was going to cause trouble I wouldn't of bothered :p

For the record, there was no one about when I took the picture, there was no hall light on and there was nothing on the tree either.

Thanks to everyone for all the opinions of what it could be. I don't know what it is and I'm not going to say 100% it's a ghost either, all I'm going to say is it's a strange picture that I can't explain.

Take another picture now that it is dark outside ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 silver70

A little levity is ok but i feel a proper take has been done (photo) and then gone and interpreted wrongly.
    Have none of you spotted the three sat dish's because therein lies the answer, Its an Irish 3D picture and yer man wants to remain anonymous

• Advertisement

ronaneire wrote: »
    Take another picture now that it is dark outside ;)
    I've already done that numerous times now and all came out normal. No point really taking anymore until there is another snowfall to have the same conditions to take one then.

Advertisement