Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone help me with a picture I took ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Go show it to the neighbours and ask them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Grimes wrote: »
    Im not saying its a ghost or anything but that sort of supposition is just as irresponsible as claiming its a spirit.

When people say things like "Someone hung something on the tree outside the house. That's all there is to it."it really gets my goat. You cannot possibly say for certain thats what it is. It annoys me as much as if someone were to say "well its a ghost, thats all there is to it".

that initially was my thought - but there could have been some form of christmas decoration on the tree. It looks like the image is where the small tree in the garden is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

maccored wrote: »
    that initially was my thought - but there could have been some form of christmas decoration on the tree. It looks like the image is where the small tree in the garden is.
    Nothing on the tree.

Is it deffo behind the tree?

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Is it deffo behind the tree?
    It seems to be, when I zoom in it looks like a branch is on front of the image.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Grimes wrote: »
    Im not saying its a ghost or anything but that sort of supposition is just as irresponsible as claiming its a spirit.

When people say things like "Someone hung something on the tree outside the house. That's all there is to it."it really gets my goat. You cannot possibly say for certain thats what it is. It annoys me as much as if someone were to say "well its a ghost, thats all there is to it".
    I'm not sure what the custom is on this board, so apologies if I break a rule here or something, but the bit in bold strikes me as incorrect. I can hang something on a tree any time you like to prove that that is possible. Can you show me a ghost as easily? Or at all?

I think we are in the realms of 'extraordinary claims require extroardinary proof'. We all know it is possible for a light to be on in a doorway, or to have odd reflections that look like something, or to have someone there for a moment that we didn't notice. These are all everyday, common occurrences. Only when you can totally rule those out can you look for something paranormal - and I don't think we can based on that picture.

We all know it is possible for a light to be on in a doorway, or to have odd reflections that look like something, or to have someone there for a moment that we didn't notice. These are all everyday, common occurrences. Only when you can totally rule those out can you look for something paranormal - and I don't think we can based on that picture.
    Can't rule anything out, normal or paranormal, all I say is it's an odd picture that I and others can't 100% explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

not being a fuddy duddy why is it this time every year peeps come on to the boards show of their new camera they got of santa then say its paranormal im sorry its about as paranormal as a gonad,,, check with the nieghbours or try to recreate its called common sense just check with the the peeps across the road its called and orange flash light its the light thats used for to focus before the flash got to love the orange street lamps to add to it

scary isnt it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I'm not sure what the custom is on this board, so apologies if I break a rule here or something, but the bit in bold strikes me as incorrect. I can hang something on a tree any time you like to prove that that is possible. Can you show me a ghost as easily? Or at all?

Unfortunately the realms of the ordinary also require proof. My point is that just because the theory that it is something plausible in the realm of proven phsyics dosnt make it automatically so. So far in this thread people have said it is
    • hall light on
    • reflection of snow
    • man in coat
    • christmas tree decoration
    • satellite dish

All I am saying is that, it is not right to for people to scoff at the original suggestion that it may be a phantom and have people throw out what they "know" it is just because these things exist in the known world. Claiming so without any proof or expertise in the subject is just as ridiculous as me telling you it is a light reflection from the Moon.

If hellboy would PM me the address of the house I would be more than happy to go and have a non imposing look at the house. Im not looking for a ghost,im looking for an answer to this riddle.

PS: If it was a decoration, who the hell takes their decorations down on St Stephen's day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

It's funny I was watching the One Show on BBC last year and they had this guy on who was explaining how the advances in photographic analysis had refuted pictures that were long regarded to be bona fide evidence of supernatural activity. He showed them in their original format (freaky as hell) and then the digitally enhanced versions showing that they were nothing. One of them was like an evil face on a rock in the background of a picture taken of a couple at the beach 20 years ago. Then he showed the enhanced version and it was nothing more than a mixture of rock and seaweed.

The point is the mind and the eyes are like an old married couple. Very often they just don't agree.

• Advertisement

DANNY22XX wrote: »
    not being a fuddy duddy why is it this time every year peeps come on to the boards show of their new camera they got of santa then say its paranormal
    First off it's not a new camera, I've had it and been taking pictures for years with it, and this is the first time I have had something like this show up in a picture. I also didn't say it was paranormal either. I posted it up here looking for opinions and help as to what it could be. I was going to post it up in the photography section but as it looked like a figure I thought it would get moved to this section so I just posted it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

DANNY22XX wrote: »
    not being a fuddy duddy.... etc:rolleyes:

HE DIDN'T SAY IT WAS PARANORMAL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

All i will say it only matters what you think. I know what paradolia can do but if you are 100% sure there was no one there, then it is an odd one because its shape looks exactly like the shape of a human body.

And Grimes, that photo you posted is also interesting. Again, you say no one was there but some people aren't too sure. If no one was there, then what is that? Because its obviously something.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Go show it to the neighbours and ask them

SIMPLE SOLUTION - ask the neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I still say it's the light through the window, it seem very obvious to me and I can't see how it could possibly be anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Ghost. of a cop. a really tall cop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭gondorff

streeti.jpg

The areas inside the circles display similar effects due to the street lamp, which appears to be perpendicular to the door.

The reason the effects are similar on the snow as on the glass is because they are both frosted surfaces and the resultant glow is due to the diffusion of light. This is why the effect cannot be seen in the other windows.

It is quite plain to see there is no light coming from inside the house, in fact OP states that the house is unoccupied.

Proximity of street lamp.
    Diffusion of light on non-smooth reflective surfaces.
    Some convenient shapes.

A very interesting effect!

gondorff wrote: »
    The areas inside the circles display similar effects due to the street lamp, which appears to be perpendicular to the door.

The reason the effects are similar on the snow as on the glass is because they are both frosted surfaces and the resultant glow is due to the diffusion of light. This is why the effect cannot be seen in the other windows.

It is quite plain to see there is no light coming from inside the house, in fact OP states that the house is unoccupied.

Proximity of street lamp.
    Diffusion of light on non-smooth reflective surfaces.
    Some convenient shapes.

A very interesting effect!
    Thanks for that gondorff :) Think you could be right and the tree branches are giving the shape of a person as they are blocking out parts of the light.
    If I had the camera on a tripod and had it take a series of pictures would it show in all of them or is it just a case of a once off trick of the light ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

So its the same effect as what is in the top right of the original picture (which everyone seems to have not noticed.)

So its a reflection from the window?

• Advertisement

CMpunked wrote: »
    So its the same effect as what is in the top right of the original picture (which everyone seems to have not noticed.)
    Thats a Christmas light that is on in the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Thats a Christmas light that is on in the window.

Ah. My apologies :o

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

gondorff wrote: »

It should be easy reproducible so.

OP, take another shot at night, see if you can get that door glass to reflect in the same way.

loldog wrote: »
    It should be easy reproducible so.

OP, take another shot at night, see if you can get that door glass to reflect in the same way.

Tried it and nothing, door and glass are clearly visible with no light reflecting off the glass. I guess I'll have to wait for more snow and try it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

did you not ask the owners of that house what it was? or are you afraid to ask in case they think you're a nosy neighbour?

well to me it definitely looks like a snowman decoration

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

fryup wrote: »
    did you not ask the owners of that house what it was? or are you afraid to ask in case they think you're a nosy neighbour?

well to me it definitely looks like a snowman decoration

the OP has said that he doesnt think anyone is living there,who is there to ask. Even if there was they might get freaked out by something like that, most folks on here are looking at the possible explanations for it, light,snow ect but others could be superstitious.

Its a really strange photo,and good to see so many people trying to come up with an explanation rather than dismiss it outrightly. OP i think you're right,you'll have to wait for the snow to come back and try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

Looks like a lit up snowman and the tree mixed with light from the street at the moment you took the picture.

Either that or you have a great imagination.....

High Five

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

It also looks like an alien,its certainly alien. Sorry its not a ghost OP but nice imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

hellboy99 wrote: »
    If I knew posting the picture up here was going to cause trouble I wouldn't of bothered :p

For the record, there was no one about when I took the picture, there was no hall light on and there was nothing on the tree either.

Thanks to everyone for all the opinions of what it could be. I don't know what it is and I'm not going to say 100% it's a ghost either, all I'm going to say is it's a strange picture that I can't explain.

how do you know? did you purposely look for a light to be on, or something hanging from a tree? you probably only looked AFTER you looked at the photo, to see if there was a hall light on, by which time the hall light could have been switched off.

to me, is a very normal looking picture

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

of course, it could me a moving statue. these creatures tend to roam the land anytime there is a recession, either bleeding or crying. This one obviously wanted to get in out of the cold for a while. :D

Advertisement