Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to rent device to determine depth & location of plastic pipe?

• 28-12-2010 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

During the cold spell, I got a reminder that the mains service pipe running from the stopcock to the house isn't buried deep enough in places. As a result, it froze with predictable consequences.

I'm faced with the prospect of having a whole new service pipe laid down with all the attendant destruction and chaos - not to mind the expense involved.

I've seen some devices on the net that use acoustic and other techniques to detect the location and depth of plastic pipes. Before I engage in a major installation project, I'd like to know the run of the current pipe, its depth, etc.

Yeah - I could ask the builder...do I need to explain why that might prove a dead-end?!

Does anyone know of a company providing this detection service? Preferably in the Cork area. And, what might it cost me?

Thanks! JB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,450 ✭✭✭✭Victor

AFAIK these services don't work very well with pipes that have water in them as there is no air/solid surface for the noise to reflect off.

The best method may be to see how deep the pipe is where it enters the building and how deep it is at the stop cock and drawing a straight line between them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

The easiest thing you can do is dig at the stopcock and follow the pipe to the house really

There are companies that will use acoustic gear to find leaks in houses and all of that, but not so sure how that would work in your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭jwb1

....think I'll just go ahead and get a new trench dug....about a metre down....maybe insulate the damn thing as well.....jayzus....it's like preparing for a nuclear winter.....JB

Advertisement