Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Water - Day 5

• 28-12-2010 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

In Crossmolina and still have no water after 5 days (despite this being 3rd day of the thaw). Are there many more like us out there? All our neighbours, bar one, never lost water. Really fed up now and wondering how much longer we are likely to have to wait. Thanks for any info.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭hsi

same here in Ballina no water for 3rd day, Rang the council and they said it would be Friday. You would think they would update people.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Anzac_11

This would have been our 4th day with no water. The neighbors to our right had water but all on our left nothing for the last 3 days.

Yesterday we connected two hose pipes from our neighbor's garden tap and fed it into our tank in the roof. Filled it up and had a nice shower, washed the dishes, flushed the toilets and filled it again. So great to have such nice helpful neighbors.

Last year it was our turn to supply them with water.

But good news, this morning woke up to water. Ah, finally my Christmas bubble bath on the horizon.

Hope you guys get your water real soon as well, otherwise try the hose pipe system if possible. It was heaven sent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

My parents have a very low pressure feed into the house, it's not strong enough to fill the attic tank, along with a good few other neighbours - a lot of the parents neighbours are totally without water since Christmas Eve.

The mum-in-law's house is also without water, as is a lot of her neighbours, out in the Crossmolina direction.

And we're finally after getting our leaking pipes sorted this morning - now to mop up the kitchen:(

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭LK1

Is Ballina really going to be out until Friday? Does anyone have a contact number we could ring.We tried Ballina and Mayo Councils and they are closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Lorod

Thanks for your replies. Our last remaining waterless neighbour got hers back last night so now it is just us! My aunt in Ballina is reporting that her neighbours are starting to get their water back now too so I am sitting here with fingers (and legs) crossed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

It's now my 5th day without water here in castletown:mad: a lot of damage already down in neighbours house's. Anyone that has water now, it will be switched off from 7 this evening.

I'm after driving up Ardnaree to see some woman scooping water out her front door:( Further up the hill, 2 men were out at a stop cock............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭hsi

It seems that there is Ballina in the town, but the surronds of Ballina are without water. I rang the emergency number and the guy said it would be Friday due to low resovoir levels.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

hsi wrote: »
    It seems that there is Ballina in the town, but the surronds of Ballina are without water. I rang the emergency number and the guy said it would be Friday due to low resovoir levels.?

If the reservoir levels are low...why don't they attempt to somehow distribute water evenly...as in turn it off for a few hours in one part of Ballina...then switch the turn-off to another and so forth! Although maybe the water network doesn't allow this!
    I'm fine for the next few days (besides probably smelling from not getting a shower!:))...I have transport and am young...I can source and transport water...but an elderly person who doesn't have family members...how do they get their water!
    Better communication also would help...I remember years ago as a kid in Belfast a van would go around with a loudspeaker warning residents their water was to be turned off for a few hours...that would help...knowing what is going on!
    But...if it's going to be Friday...then I may stock up on the deodorant and body spray!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

same here in Ballina no water for 3rd day, Rang the council and they said it would be Friday. You would think they would update people.

Hi this is the council, your mains pipe is still frozen!

• Advertisement

Yesterday evening a small trickle of water appeared in the kitchen tap and there was much jumping about and cheering. The trouble now is that it, as someone said earlier, the water pressure is still so weak that it cannot do more than dribble and is not reaching anywhere else. Now I am grateful to have any water at all, believe me, but has anybody any idea why this is. My neighbours are not having this problem either. I hope everyone is back on soon, this is becoming silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Anzac_11

That happened to us last year as well. No water due to Reservoir levels being too low. Had no water for 5 days and landed up buying 1x 45 ltr and 1x 25 ltr water containers and topping up from a friend in Castlebar on the way back from work each day.

Shortly after that we were told we would only have water 1 hour per day but with the water pressure being so low, it did not even fill the water tank. I do love living in the country but when you are on a group water scheme, you get into a habit of checking the water pressure before you put on a wash.

Hope you all get your water back soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Water back this morning, day 6:) now lovely hot shower here i come:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

I took this from the Mayotoday.ie websit............

Mayo County Council has issued a detailed update on the water supply situation across the county and how it is affecting towns and communities.
    Mayo County Council has also renewed its appeal for all consumers to conserve water. and is requesting that that all key holders check premises to ensure that there are no internal leaks.
    Council tankers have been providing emergency water supplies to householders at a number of locations in Mayo, including Ballina and Achill.
    The Council update reads:
    It should be noted that there could be a loss of supply in localised areas at short notice due to leak repairs.
    Where night-time restriction of supplies occurs it will allow reservoir levels to recover overnight and help restore supply in areas without water.
    Some areas are experiencing localised distribution to supply due to burst mains, Mayo county Council are working to get these mains repaired as soon as possible.
    Please report major leaks to 094 9034705

• Achill Water Supply:
    • Situation is critical, Please conserve water.
    • There will be a water outage most areas of the scheme again tonight till early morning.
    • Water Tanks are available at Polranny Bottlebanks, Way Inn pub Tonragee, Achleam old Nat.School, the pier in Dooega, Bunacurry Bottlebank and at the carpark beside the beech in Dooagh.

• Ballina Water Supply:
    • Restrictions will continue in all rural areas of Ballina
    • In Ballina town, serious difficulties are been encountered in restoring supplies to areas east of the river Moy (Ardnaree).

• Ballycastle Water Supply:
    • No restrictions for now. Please conserve water or restrictions will become necessary.
    • Outlining areas will continue to suffer pressure losses.

• Bunniconlon Water Supply:
    • No restrictions for now. Please conserve water or restrictions will become necessary.

• Charlestown Water Supply:

• Clontia Doocastle Water Supply:
    • Difficulties with the water supply are still being encountered.

• Cong Water Supply: (Cong, Cross & The Neale)
    • Overnight restrictions in place tonight, with periodic outages throughout the day.

• Crossmolina Water Supply:

• Erris Water Supply:
    • Keenagh Group Water Scheme will be shut off tonight, there is a major leak on the line that appears not to be addressed.
    • There will be interruptions to the Pullathomas Group water schemeduring the night. The caretaker is looking fora major leak on the scheme at the moment.
    • There will be minor interruptions to the Doohoma/Derrycorrib Group water scheme tonight, but not a complete shut off as in previous nights.
    • There will be minor interruptions to the Corclough West group water scheme particularly Corclough and Annagh villages.

• All other areas should be operational for the night but consumers should continue to conserve water as reservoir levels are still well below normal levels.

• Foxford Water Supply:

• Kilkelly Water Supply:

• Kilmaine Water Supply:

• Kiltimagh Water Supply:
    • Supplies are being restored following severe operational difficulties.

• Lough Mask Water Supply: (Castlebar, Claremorris, Ballyhaunis, Ballinrobe, Balla, Knock & Tourmakeady):

• Situation is critical, Please conserve water,
    • Some areas have reduced pressure or outages due to burst mains and low reservoir levels,
    • No planned outages.

• Louisburgh Water Supply:
    • No restrictions for now. Please conserve water.
    • Mulranny Water Supply:
    • Newport Water Supply:
    • Shrule Water Supply:
    • Overnight restrictions in place tonight.
    • Swinford Water Supply:
    • Overnight restrictions in place again tonight.
    • Westport Water Supply:
    • Restrictions will be in place tonight in Carrowholy, The Lodge road, Clogher Group Water Scheme, Bohea Group Water Scheme, KnappaghBeg, Curvey, Aughagower,
    Outlining areas will continue to suffer pressure losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 timeslip

Lorod wrote: »
    In Crossmolina and still have no water after 5 days (despite this being 3rd day of the thaw). Are there many more like us out there? All our neighbours, bar one, never lost water. Really fed up now and wondering how much longer we are likely to have to wait. Thanks for any info.
    Sounds like the problem could be with the pipework to your house (hope not). Are you detached or in a rural location?. If your neighbors have water and you don't where is the water supplied from?. I was dry for 10 days and it came back on the 27th with the thaw. I would give the council or your water scheme a call. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Water pressure came back thank god. I think the stopcock outside was playing up too which did not help. Only good thing about all this is that it has really made me appreciate water!

Pressure back, I will never take water for granted again!

It's amazing the amount we go through - our washing machine alone goes through 40-50 litres of water each wash!

Advertisement