Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a good insurance loss adjuster

Options
  • 28-12-2010 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Can anybody recommend a "good" insurance loss adjuster. A pipe burst in our attic and not really sure where to start with the insurance.

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Be prepared to haggle with them line by line , I had a leak a few years ago and 10% of the claim was for the skip to take the crap away ( €400 out of the €4000) , I insisted and they relented.

They will not pay for 'your' engineer or 'your' adjuster unless the claim is for at least €15,000, then they will cover that cost too.

All redecoration should be included in the claim together with all furniture replacement costs and carpets and also dehumidifying and the cost of all the electricity for that ..10 days worth of lekky at least.

Start the spreadsheet now and lash it all in. Throw nothing out until the adjuster actually sees it even in a skip ....that even if you have to start skipping and dehumidifying right now to prevent further damage and moss growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

My mum has had to get some work done recently and had three builders look at the job and all recommended John Kerr for insurance adjuster.

She has only started getting her claim sorted but she found him helpful and he charges 8% which is quite completive. Obviously I can't recommend him from experience at this stage but the builder my mum is employing is very well respected and a family friend so I don't think he'd set her wrong with a recommendation. Hope that's of some help.

Also worth remembering that it is in your interests to get work done with the most competitively priced builder etc even if the insurance is paying as if your claim is over 5000 euro you won't be able to change your insurance company for 3 years. That means that whoever you are with now can up your premiums as much as they want in those 3 years. My mum was telling me that despite never having had a claim her last premium had jumped from 350 to 850 before Christmas but she can't leave the company as there is a claim in progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭hotrodder

I had a burst pipe in my house over the Christmas. When we call the insurance they sent out an adjuster to look at the damage. This adjuster had only the insurance companys interest in his head. He wanted to send a builder to repair any damage, and patch up areas which were damaged. I did not know what I was entiteld to. People advised me to get my own Assessor to check out the damage and our insurance policy. We contacted a company called <snip> who are independant Loss Assessors. They charged 8% of the settlement figure. They are very professional and helpful. Really put me at ease and they did all the negotiations with the Insurance Company. Would highly recomend this company. Very helpful and friendly lads. There email address is <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

hotrodder, you're probably legit but using your first post to promote a business sets off warning bells. I have removed the company name.
    Anyone who want's the company details can send hotrodder a Personal Message.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Kaskade wrote: »
    Can anybody recommend a "good" insurance loss adjuster. A pipe burst in our attic and not really sure where to start with the insurance.

Loss adjuster acts for the insurance company.

Loss assessor acts for the insured i.e. You.

Most assessors charge between 7% to 10% of the claim plus VAT, depending on the size of the claim.

You're looking for an assessor.

PM me for details of an assessor I've used on a few properties over the years. I used him as recently as last week and would highly recommend him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Churchview is correct - it's an assessor you need.
    I can also recommend one if you wish - he has almost 20 yrs experience in Galway and is well-established. We've used him 3 times and were very happy. PM me if you need details.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tootired

Spongebob are you sure that they will pay for an assessor as long as the claim is over €15,000. Our loss assessor hasn't mentioned this to us at all. Is anyone else finding the whole process very slow or is it just me. Similar story to everyone else, pipe burst in attic over 2 weeks ago now. Can't go back to the house yet as bedrooms and living rooms were destroyed. All wet stuff out(by us) but no dehumidifiers etc yet. Renting somewhere on a short term let.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I said "at least", read the small print for the actual amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

tootired wrote: »
    Spongebob are you sure that they will pay for an assessor as long as the claim is over €15,000. Our loss assessor hasn't mentioned this to us at all. Is anyone else finding the whole process very slow or is it just me. Similar story to everyone else, pipe burst in attic over 2 weeks ago now. Can't go back to the house yet as bedrooms and living rooms were destroyed. All wet stuff out(by us) but no dehumidifiers etc yet. Renting somewhere on a short term let.

God, sorry to hear that. That's awful.

Have you had the adjuster out yet ? Once they have been I think you can go ahead and start getting things taken care of even before the claim is settled on the insurance side. That's if you can afford it. My mum had the assessor and adjuster out 2 weeks before Christmas and has heard nothing back yet.

You should ask them about it and if they say you can start fixing up I'd think you'd be wise to video the damage before you start any cleaning up.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tootired

Whimsical your Mum has been waiting a month! ok I feel a bit better(sorry for your mum though) We really can't afford to go ahead with much. All the wet and damaged stuff is out apart from very large items. Adjuster has been out but and in principal has agreed to most of the claim, but there seems to be a delay with written confimation. Video, pictures taken and everything is still on my property. I'm not going to recommend my assessor he's very nice to deal with but he's pricey at 10% and not much seems to be happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Had burst pipe over Christmas and part of the house was affected. Got independent assessor who I knew and he really pointed out damage to the insurance company's assessor who came on site that would not have been able to do. In the end he more than earned his percentage cut. I can PM you his details if you wish. It is a ****e experience to go through though and no amount of insurance compensation can address the hassle and trauma that it causes.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

i used clerys in ballybane a few years back - handled everything, not sure what they charged me but it was a % of the claim

Advertisement