Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea and Wilkins

• 28-12-2010 11:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭

Prior to Ray Wilkins getting the chop, Chelsea seamed to be cruising to another double, since he got the bullet they have been stuttering like relegation fodder - any reason why he was sacked ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭weiland79

Well i can only speculate of course but by all accounts he questioned Abramovich's presence in the changing room and was out of a job 1 week later. TBH i can well believe it. The one thing i am certain of is that it is painful to watch my beloved blues at the moment, and can not see us finishing in a Champions league position this year unless this are turned around sharpish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

All we can do is speculate, i don't understand the fuss.... Chelsea lost to Arsenal, Arsenal are a highly rated team, played at home, they had the advantage.

People need to get over this loss tbh, you win some, you lose some!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

MIN2511 wrote: »
    All we can do is speculate, i don't understand the fuss.... Chelsea lost to Arsenal, Arsenal are a highly rated team, played at home, they had the advantage.

There is more to it than that, Chelseas form has been awful since. 1 win in 8 and that came against a micky mouse CL team. 2nd worst form in the PL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Chelsea are superannuated a major overhaul is needed there.

MIN2511 wrote: »

M5 wrote: »
    There is more to it than that, Chelseas form has been awful since. 1 win in 8 and that came against a micky mouse CL team. 2nd worst form in the PL

Exactly, not just the Arsenal game at all. Literally has fallen apart since Wilkins was sacked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Wilkins may have had a small part to play in the apparent decline, but the lack of re-investment in players over the last couple of years is more significant imo. The Chelsea first team is too old and back-ups too inexperienced.

Chelsea have picked up 3 points from 18 since he was sacked.

They had picked up 28 points from 36 before he was sacked.

Doesn't take a genius...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I don't think I can buy the loss of an assistant manager as an excuse for such a monumental turnaround in form. Think back to when Jose got the boot, we went on to make a CL final and were still in the league on the last day of the season, but more to the point, it didn't directly affect the team as much as it should have. A lot of people (myself included) attributed this to the fact that Mourinho's influence was so strong that the team carried on playing his way even after he left.

Now surely if Wilkin's had that much of an influence on the team then something similar would happen here. I don't doubt the negative impact it must have had on the squad but I simply can't put it down solely to him being sacked. People were all talk about Chelsea being unstoppable and running away with the league a few months back, nobody put this down to Ray Wilkins. I can't think of one team who have lost a manager, never-mind an assistant manager, and reacted so bad so quick.

^

Good points made there but the manner of the way he was dismissed and the high regard that he was held by the players and Ancellotti himself must have had some impact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

And people moaned about the significance of this thread:pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Essien wrote: »
    I don't think I can buy the loss of an assistant manager as an excuse for such a monumental turnaround in form. Think back to when Jose got the boot, we went on to make a CL final and were still in the league on the last day of the season, but more to the point, it didn't directly affect the team as much as it should have. A lot of people (myself included) attributed this to the fact that Mourinho's influence was so strong that the team carried on playing his way even after he left.

Now surely if Wilkin's had that much of an influence on the team then something similar would happen here. I don't doubt the negative impact it must have had on the squad but I simply can't put it down solely to him being sacked. People were all talk about Chelsea being unstoppable and running away with the league a few months back, nobody put this down to Ray Wilkins. I can't think of one team who have lost a manager, never-mind an assistant manager, and reacted so bad so quick.

Could it have caused a rift between the players and the management and the owners?

rarnes1 wrote: »
    ^

Good points made there but the manner of the way he was dismissed and the high regard that he was held by the players and Ancellotti himself must have had some impact.

I don't doubt that for a second, but to quote yourself.....
    Chelsea have picked up 3 points from 18 since he was sacked.

They had picked up 28 points from 36 before he was sacked.

It just doesn't sit well with me that that much of a points swing can be attributed to him being sacked. I think we'll find out in time that the sacking and inexplicable lack of form had something to do with RA interfering again.

Yes they did, Carlo Ancelloti himself.
    Without him, we couldn't have won a thing, and in particular we would not have started the year at supersonic speed.

Yes they did, Carlo Ancelloti himself.

OK then, no neutrals said it. My point is people were on about all the wonderful players we had, we still have them, yet we're playing miserably. Again, don't get me wrong, Wilkins is a huge loss but you could take Ferguson from United or Wenger from Arsenal and I doubt either team would suffer such an immediate and severe impact. I just can't put such a change in fortunes down to 1 factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Number Nine

If I owned Chelsea and Wilkins told me to leave the changing rooms , I would have sack him on the spot . As far as I am concerned Abramovich has been good for Chelsea , hopefully he will learn from mistake and invest in a few experience players soon.
    I was trying to find a Russian proverb for Abramovich to suit the moment but it was hard to pick from this list. But I go for 79. One is one's own master on one's own stove

http://www.friends-partners.org/oldfriends/literature/russian-proverbs.html

If I owned Chelsea and Wilkins told me to leave the changing rooms , I would have sack him on the spot . As far as I am concerned Abramovich has been good for Chelsea , hopefully he will learn from mistake and invest in a few experience players soon.
    I was trying to find a Russian proverb for Abramovich to suit the moment but it was hard to pick from this list. But I go for 79. One is one's own master on one's own stove

http://www.friends-partners.org/oldfriends/literature/russian-proverbs.html:D
    :D:D:D

Link fail

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

It just doesn't sit well with me that that much of a points swing can be attributed to him being sacked. I think we'll find out in time that the sacking and inexplicable lack of form had something to do with RA interfering again.

I don't think that anyone is saying that the loss of Wilkins' coaching, tactics or whatever is causing the problem. It's the way he was sacked and the turmoil that's possibly/probably going on at the club, I think, that people are blaming the loss of form on.

Just picture the players having to witness their management being completely undermined by an interfering owner. They've probably just lost so much trust in the whole structure now.

Combine that with a lack of options and freshness in the squad and it makes sense I reckon.

It's interesting to see that a super bejillionaire can still be an idiot when he's running a football club.

@ Pro F, thats what I was getting at, shit just isn't right there atm

Agreed.

It's the more the reason why he was sacked rather than the fact he was sacked.

Can you imagine united sacking mike phelan without fergusons say? Not in a million years.

This is what's probably gone wrong at Chelsea. The players and coaching staff feel very insecure about the whole thing, they don't know who roman will sack next and they are all threading on egg shells. Add to that an ageing squad with little cover. I really do think they need to buy 2 or 3 players in January, although given your recent record with players in, you can see why he would be reluctant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Think thats what is wrong with big money from owners coming into Premiership Clubs. The investment is great re being able to buy best players, but how many of these Chairman/Groups buy Premier league clubs and decide that because they own the club makes them a football management genius. Chairmen/Owners should run the business side of the club and leave coaching/buying players to the manager.
    If the manager doesnt perform over a reasonable period of time , then sack him. (this being at least a season, min 6 months(if there are no positive signs on the pitch/ looses the dressing room)

Too many idiot owners think football clubs can be turned around in a month, think that they will win the Premier League/ play Champions League within one season.....Who advises these ppl????!!!!

Unfortunately Blackburn seem to be heading in this direction by sacking Big Sam and with idiots like Gold and Sullivan/ Karen Brady + Ashby at Newcastle these football 'experts' will be guiding their clubs into Regulation/Administration

Seems Carlo really valued Wilkinson's support in running the club, well liked by the players and his dismissal seems to be linked to Chelsea's shocking recent form. Maybe RA could mend this by getting someone like Steve Clarke back?

• Advertisement
Advertisement